Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brain Fog - The Eighth Level of Hell

Featured Replies

I have been here before. The Eighth Level. It's a lonely place to be certain. I knew this would happen, and happen it has. I have never been able to reach the other side of this dreadful location.
      I have attempted to quit so many times, that I consider myself a professional quitter. And it's this evil brain fog that defeats me time after time. I don't know about you guys...but I like to be able to think. This foggy no-man's land is Hell itself ! The longest I have survived this place was just over a month, then I failed. Well here I am totally enveloped in the fog once more. Eleven days in and need guidance tying my shoes,so I wear flip-flops. This time is different. I knew this was coming. I've prepared. I've made a plan. I plan on not thinking for a while. So this writing about not thinking is pretty freakin' hard !  Anyway.....I'm a Newbie to this site. Hello.........I forget what else I was going to say...so I'm gonna eat something and go for a walk. This sucks like I knew it would,but this time it's different. This time................something about being strong or something, I don't know...something inspirational and motivational I think. Anyway. Nice to meet ya !   Fair Winds and following seas to the lot of ya !

  • Replies 172
  • Views 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Eight-Toe Joe
    Eight-Toe Joe

    It's all fun and games till someone gets concussed. 😞

  • Tenen, (dutch for toes 👣) you are on track. A smooth sea never made a skillful pirate.   And... rewards, rewards!!!    ☆☆☆ RE-WARDS ☆☆☆

  • This feels like a meeting of Insomniacs (not so) Anonymous.  It's 3:30 a.m. and I had to get up to take a break from not sleeping.  Now I look on here and see pirates searching for underpants and am h

Posted Images

Welcome back eight toe Joe and congratulations on 11 days quit :) The brain fog does suck but most of us went through it and it's only temporary. What helps many of us is drinking juice and eating something sweet. I sucked on soft peppermint puffs for months and not only did it help with the brain fog but it helped with cravings too because I never smoked and ate candy at the same time.

Stay close, post an SOS if you feel yourself caving to a crave and let's get you past that part :)

Edited by jillar

Welcome Eight Toe Joe,

Have a look at this,

The Great Smoke Free Brain Fog.

 

The good news is that is doesn't last too long, even though it seems endless.

Try short, small brain chores, like one crossword answer,

not the whole puzzle, just a small bit of it.

Parse the mental work that needs doing out in small increments.

Do something physical in between brain work, walk around look at beauty.

Like Jillar said, stay on top of your blood sugar.

Drink more water.

 

Lavish rewards on yourself.The Significance of Rewards

 

Remember, You Quit Smoking ! You are a hero to yourself.

  • Author

Hi jillar and Thank You for the welcome !
   yes, I have replaced after meal smokes with a dark chocolate mint candy....which I will probably need help quitting as well. But yes...I have read some stuff about blood sugar and dopamine. It's all brain chemistry. I'm serious this time. Take no prisoners ,never surrender kinda serious. Thanks for your support. Your quit journey is so inspiring !

 

Oh I just realized the brain fog could be because of blood sugar lows. I should have as I’m a type 1 diabetic. And low blood sugar makes you feel awful. And wiped out after you get it right again. So that a great idea. I hope you feel better soon Joe. I’m having the  fatigue not so much the brain fog.

Welcome 8-Toe! 

I too had and hated the brain fog. Not sure mine lasted a whole month, at least not to a disabling degree. There were lots of annoying quit symptoms to endure but they all did go eventually. I have to think hard now to remember them and I'm sure my mind is downplaying how bad they were now but that's how this works. The crap feelings are temporary and they vanish as quickly as they came but the benefits you will see from quitting are with you forever. All you have to do is commit to NOPE every day :) 

  • Author

Thank you so much Sazerac !
    This is the symptom I dread. I have trouble driving and concentrating, so please...stay in your homes !  :)

  • Author

All you guys are fantastic.....I was looking for a supportive bunch. I found them. I will push thru this time...NO SURRENDER !!

 

3 minutes ago, Eight-Toe Joe said:

All you guys are fantastic.....I was looking for a supportive bunch. I found them. I will push thru this time...NO SURRENDER !!

 

 

I get such a charge out of posts like yours (NO SURRENDER !!), Eight Toe Joe.

YOU are fantastic !  You quit smoking !

Read all you can about our addiction and build yourself a sturdy quit.

Stay vigilant, post often and tell us how you are feeling.

Welcome aboard on this journey eight toe Joe.  It does look like you are committed to this.  As said above the brain fog can be there (I had  it) and it can last for a bit but it does go away.  I did use sweets to help with the cravings and the low blood sugar  and used plenty of cold water (you can use juice), those things helped as well as taking short walks and deep breathing techniques -- they can help with the brain fog as well.  Stay close to the site and do a lot of reading, there is a lot information here that can help you educated yourself about the addiction and quitting.  Keep Strong!!!!

Welcome Eight-Toe-Joe and congratulations on your eleven foggy days!  Eat, drink, walk, nap, pet the dog, stare blankly at a crossword puzzle, stay off the road — and one day soon your brain will forget to fog.  Keep up the great work!

  • Author

Stare blankly, Jordan7......Can I get arrested for that? Or better yet be paid for it?  Boy, I sure can do it well. .........................I'm doing it now.
         Thanks to you , Martian5 and all . I can not stress enough, how helpful it is knowing that an army of fellow soldiers stand by my side. This enemy is formidable. But not unbeatable. Your success stories are the proof. With all of you....I plan on being victorious. Thank You.....in advance.

Hey Joe, welcome. Great decision and mindset. Go for it and rant when you need it.

 

But, do spare some concentration please, to explain whats with eight toe?

  • Author

MLMR.... a wise old man once told me -" Never chop wood while quitting smoking and suffering from brain fog." I didn't listen.
 

          But seriously....the story is two-fold.
                                                                            1-Stepped on toothpick, developed massive infection, 10 days in hospital, permanent nerve damage to two toes.
                                                                            2- Have friend that writes Pirate adventure books. She insists that everyone has a proper pirate name.
                                                                                  I am a proper pirate. ;)

 

Edited by Eight-Toe Joe

12 minutes ago, Eight-Toe Joe said:

 

                                                                            2- Have friend that writes Pirate adventure books. She insists that everyone has a proper pirate name.
                                                                                  I am a proper pirate. ;)

 

This is the coolest ever. I whish I had a friend like that, because she is sooo right. 

 

Funny,  I imagined one foot with eight toes 😂

  • Author

Ha !  " Hey Joe, what size shoes do you wear?"   " One regular and one freakishly wide."

Welcome 8 toe.  So glad you have decided to quit smoking.  You have found the right place for help and support.  We have all gone through it.  

I was tired but did not experience the mental fog.  11 days quit is great.  Just keep directing your thoughts forward and towards all the benefits associated with quitting.  

Don''t let that fog make you give in to the crave.  I promise your life will improve so much with quitting.  Hang in there.

  • Author

Thank You Linda.
    I did the whole patch program...21mg for 6 weeks....14mg for 4 weeks.....7mg for 3 weeks and ripped off the last patch July 4th ,Independence day for a number of reasons.
       I've been smoke free for a while but nicotine free for 11 days. I have come to win this once and for all. The fact you are approaching a year free, gives me and I'm sure many others, strength to continue the battle. Never underestimate the power of your example. Have a wonderful day. :)

  • Author

Thank You Doreen, and yes what the hell were we thinkin' !  For so long it has had a tight grip around my throat. it ,the master,me the slave. The spacey fog is the hardest for me. I feel detached,spacey and so very strange. Unable to think clearly. Unable to concentrate. HOW DARE THIS DRUG HAVE THIS ENORMOUS POWER OVER ME !!
 I sometimes get so angry with myself for the weakness from this addiction. The valuable time spent dealing with this. This time.....I own the power. We all own the power !
    Fair Winds .

You are no longer a slave.

You quit smoking.

You are more powerful than any crave or trigger.

You emerge victorious.

p.s.

While you are foggy, find some new foggy joys.

we needn't be on point all the time.

S

  • Author

Sazerac.....I look at your quit date and am honored for your assistance . Such a true champion. If this was ancient Rome, and you emerged from behind the iron gate the veteran gladiator , my money would be on you !
   The video nailed it. Exactly. The mind fog. I was holding a cup of coffee in my left hand, was asked what time it was, spilled the coffee in my lap looking at my watch.
    I am now on board with the juice principle. The preemptive blood sugar control approach. I will start this tomorrow. Wish me luck.
      You and this message board are a powerful thing. Rome...doesn't stand a chance !  It is indeed, a good day to be free ! Thank You my new friends !!

Edited by Eight-Toe Joe

The brain fog associated with quitting is temporary.

 

The improved focus that comes with not being a smoker and having to deal with smoke-breaks and withdrawal agitation is permanent.

 

One step back.  One thousand steps forward.

 

By the way, welcome aboard Eight-Toe Joe.  Good call on ditching the smokes.

  • Author

Ahoy Boo ! Thanks ! Yeah.....temporary. A long ass temporary. Last time it lasted a month. Failed and lit up just to feel normal. But this time I'm ready for that long as hell temporary. BRING IT !!  I will outlast it ! I will outsmart it ! I will out- temporary it ! What ever the hell that means,it sounds pretty bad-ass. I have come to this battle armed with patience. Something I am not known to posses.  So, I will outsmart the fog by unleashing the Kraken of patience, kick fogs ass, and someday be able to operate a microwave oven like I once was able to do, back then, when I could think and stuff. But I digress.....Thanks again, Boo.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.