Foods for Healthy Lungs

Sazerac

10 Foods To Keep Your Lungs Strong And Healthy

• Pistachios provide a type of vitamin E, Gama-tocopherol,  a defense against various types of lung cancer.

• Cayenne Pepper,  effective at fighting and diminishing cough and sore throat.

Provides support against cold and flu. Try a concoction of hot water, honey, lemon juice, cayenne.
   Effective for people suffering from bronchial congestion and respiratory ailments, breaking down congested mucus.

• Broccoli, high in antioxidants, containing NRF-2 dependent characteristics and is among the best green foods for lungs.
   It is beneficial for people suffering from COPD.

• Carrots, a source of vitamins A and C. Vitamin A  influences the health of your lungs.

Carrots also contain lycopene, zeaxanthin, and lutein which are powerful cancer-fighting agents.

* Vitamin C  helps get rid of many lung disorders.

• Onions contain  quercetin, a natural anti-oxidant. Research has shown that this anti-oxidant helps prevent lung cancer and many other lung diseases.
    Vitamins B6 and C that provide self-healing power to the body.

• Oranges contain vitamins B6 and C and iron which help the lungs transfer oxygen to cells more effectively, 
    contains anti-oxidant, beta-cryptoxanthin,  good for lung health.

• Fish are a rich source of vitamin D. Insufficient levels of Vitamin D may lead to loss of lung function.
   Fish also contains high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids which provide a boost to the entire body.

These fatty acids also act as a shield against lung cancer.

• Red wine, a source of resveratrol, an  anti-oxidant and helps get rid of free radicals which are the main cause of cancer.
   Eating a food rich in anti-oxidants provides your lungs with extra protection against diseases and disorders.
    Red wine contains pteristilbene which catalyzes the job of resveratrol,  providing benefits more efficiently.

• Walnuts, a vegetarian sources of fatty Omega-3 acids.

Walnuts help fight against asthma and other ailments related to respiration.
     One serving of a handful of walnuts daily is recommended.

Here is a link to 'Tomatoes May Restore Lung Damage'

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Sslip said:

No Weegie, you're the best nut.

hmmm I'll have to lift my game... first melbourne comes second, then I do... its a sad depressing time.  :D

Peter Mac (cancer hospital) here recommends walnuts and broccoli for anyone having chemo or radiation as the two best foods to eat if you can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OH !!!..I thought we were all nuts here.

5k278bU2UDKtMlC4lO.gif

Peter Mac (cancer hospital) here recommends walnuts and broccoli for anyone having chemo or radiation as the two best foods to eat if you can

Yes!!! ..I've heard this too...I love broccoli and walnuts ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This thread is also here  in Exercising and Healthy Living.  Rozuki found it (thank you).

Bat suggested Ice Cream, obviously nurturing the inner human,  as one must.

BAT

Quit Date: 16 JAN 2014

Posted December 4, 2014

You forgot Ice Cream  :)

• Like 3

So I make a Broccoli and walnut soup and also make a stir fry ... will sort some recipes out... just sort of bung em together so measurements are skewy....

My dad swears a daily banana split and a daily banana smoothie with malt and honey are why he is still here... when the kid was 14 months old they gave him 3-6months to live due to skin cancer... still here and turned 70 this month the tough old coot.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2018 at 12:00 PM, Sazerac said:

10 Foods To Keep Your Lungs Strong And Healthy

• Pistachios provide a type of vitamin E, Gama-tocopherol,  a defense against various types of lung cancer.

• Cayenne Pepper,  effective at fighting and diminishing cough and sore throat.

Provides support against cold and flu. Try a concoction of hot water, honey, lemon juice, cayenne.
   Effective for people suffering from bronchial congestion and respiratory ailments, breaking down congested mucus.

• Broccoli, high in antioxidants, containing NRF-2 dependent characteristics and is among the best green foods for lungs.
   It is beneficial for people suffering from COPD.

• Carrots, a source of vitamins A and C. Vitamin A  influences the health of your lungs.

Carrots also contain lycopene, zeaxanthin, and lutein which are powerful cancer-fighting agents.

* Vitamin C  helps get rid of many lung disorders.

• Onions contain  quercetin, a natural anti-oxidant. Research has shown that this anti-oxidant helps prevent lung cancer and many other lung diseases.
    Vitamins B6 and C that provide self-healing power to the body.

• Oranges contain vitamins B6 and C and iron which help the lungs transfer oxygen to cells more effectively, 
    contains anti-oxidant, beta-cryptoxanthin,  good for lung health.

• Fish are a rich source of vitamin D. Insufficient levels of Vitamin D may lead to loss of lung function.
   Fish also contains high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids which provide a boost to the entire body.

These fatty acids also act as a shield against lung cancer.

• Red wine, a source of resveratrol, an  anti-oxidant and helps get rid of free radicals which are the main cause of cancer.
   Eating a food rich in anti-oxidants provides your lungs with extra protection against diseases and disorders.
    Red wine contains pteristilbene which catalyzes the job of resveratrol,  providing benefits more efficiently.

• Walnuts, a vegetarian sources of fatty Omega-3 acids.

Walnuts help fight against asthma and other ailments related to respiration.
     One serving of a handful of walnuts daily is recommended.

Here is a link to 'Tomatoes May Restore Lung Damage'

Bump for @forestgreen

I would like to add Vitamin C !  Smoking depletes your stash of Vitamin C.

Here is a study, The Influence of Smoking on Vitamin C Status in Adults

Edited by Sazerac

Thank you Sazerac,  I eat everything except Onions,  Pistachios and red wine. Fortunately my lungs are good, and cancer checks have found nothing so far. I have been taking Vitamin C (in tablet form)  for around 40 years, I must have read it somewhere back then. It gets flushed out of your body pretty quickly. I also read somewhere (sorry didn't keep the research paper) that too many Pistachios can have a lethal effect? not really sure about this one though. 

What I am hoping to find is something that I can replace cake with, something with a bread like taste but not too many calories. I have put on 8 kilos since last year. I do exercises most days, but most likely need to do more. Of course understanding my Brain and Reward system is the first priority, then I can adjust my own new pathways for a reward. 

I am funnily enough going to an exercises physiologist today. This will throw some light on what types of exercises are suitable for my body. its just the reward of food I think which needs adjusting, although I am open to learning about the HALT material too. 

On 8/20/2018 at 12:00 PM, Sazerac said:

concoction of hot water, honey, lemon juice, cayenne.

1 hour ago, garry mhudson said:

I tried the cayenne tea and added apple cider vinegar and plan on adding ground ginger in the future. I enjoyed it.

ACV is an incredible ingredient to add ! 

Lately, been making a lot of ginger tea, I pulverize a few pounds in food processor.  Don't even bother peeling.

Then tie into a cloth napkin, put in big pot and pour hot water to cover for the day, squeeze, strain.  Mine is v. strong and I freeze it in ice cube trays.