Getting Off Drugs

Ramona

So, like many imaginative Americans, I was prescribed an anti-psychotic medication for a made-up mental condition.  Though I've often suffered from mood fluctuations I don't think that's enough reason to convince someone to become dependent on a very powerful pharmaceutical.

Any who...moving forward.

When I quit nicotine & cigarettes in November of 2014 I was taking this medication DAILY...like, every night before falling asleep. 

About a month ago I went to pick-up my prescription after work and the pharmacist told me I was no longer covered by my insurance (that's a story for another day - - about living in a supposed first-world country that doesn't have single-payer healthcare).  So I went off the crap.  If I had chosen to stay on the crap (without insurance) it would have cost me a quarter of my monthly salary.  The situation got fixed a couple days later but by then I decided I was done being a slave to another substance.

Guess it could be worse:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/04/465548279/no-comment-from-grinning-martin-shkreli-at-house-hearing-on-drug-prices

NOW HOWEVER.  I am basically quitting cigarettes all over again.  At the end of the year I had come to a point where I was sustaining existence for long periods of time without smoking.  Now I'm back at day one.  It sux.  The drug (again, a VERY POWERFUL DRUG) was a major mood stabilizer. 

I almost want to post an SOS but I should be Easy Peasying this crap at this point.  Miss smoking. A lot.

Hi hun, have you spoken to Your doctor how you feel, they maybe able to help in some way? Something alot milder maybe?

As for smoking, 15 months and what you personally went through to get to that point, took an immense amount of personal strength, believe in yourself, you can come through this x

Cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette.

Question(s).

Is your insurance no longer covering you or the medication? If you can go too see or at least talk to your doctor's office about the situation they can prescribe you something else. Those meds need to be weened off of not stopped cold turkey (no fault of your own).

I can't stand these pharmaceutical companies and the way that they gauge their prices.

Smoking won't help, you know this, it will make this bad situation worse.

Smoking would taste like shit. Try window licking, just go lick every window you walk by, maybe they will give you meds for free if they see it....

a year is a long time to throw away. I have done it more than once when younger and each time cost me several more years of smoking. Wish I had not tried one again at age 23, how nice that would have been and what a different life I could have lead.

So ask yourself where you want to be in 5 years. Not at retirement but just 5 or 10 years. What do you want to do for fun? Bike hike, dance...or sit and watch the world go by like most smokers. Sure they get up to do a few things, but usually just between smokes. If you want that time table over your life again then go lick more windows until the thought goes away.

I'm on meds myself, hoping to come off soon. You shouldn't just come off them!! I messed up once and had to go 4 days without any. Cold turkey like you are doing. That was a real eye opener, I certainly wouldn't want to go through that again.

Go speak to your doctor, trust me you are NOT craving a cigarette! You are suffering with anxiety. They feel so alike that when I was going through my quit early on I couldn't tell the difference. Also your mood will be going haywire at the moment. You don't need to suffer like this TEW. If you need to talk, you can always pm me x

• Like 2

I'm on a mood stabilizer myself and the withdrawls from that are bad. I'm also on a sedative and anti depressive along with buproprion to help stop smoking. But I have really bad bipolar disorder. I sometimes wonder if that's making quitting harder. Mood swings can come with quitting too, which can be a trigger. I actually started crying a little the other night, and wanted a cigarette so bad. But even after the urge passed, I still wanted to cry, so I think that was just a mood swing. I think our bodies just do that, and if you're prone to mood swings, being on medication may not be so bad. Just talk to your doctor about a lower dosage or other options. I'm currently on Geodon (generic version thereof) which has made a huge difference in my life.

... I was sustaining existence for long periods of time without smoking. Now I'm back at day one. It sux.

This only works if we sustain existence *FOREVER* without smoking, right?

Right?

All else is irrelevant claptrap and excuse.

Forever.

Cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette, cigarette.

That shit ^^^ doesn't help, either.

Easy Peasy

TEW..

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this..I have never been on any mood changing meds..

But. I can tell You my experience...

After smoking 52 years and suddenly quit..my body went into overdrive...I had all these emotions I didn't know how to deal with them...

I knew I had to ride it through..good folks on the board telling me it would get better...

It took a lokng time...very slowly it did...

I visited the hospital today...and I purposely stood and watched the smokers..standing there with drips...

Some in wheel chairs with limbs missing...in the dressing gowns in the rain and wind...looking very sad...not happy.

This would have been me...

Yes its been hard...but I'm so glad now I have quit...

When times are hard i still get a thought of having one....but it goes away just as quick...

Ride it through.... The rewards are massive...

• Like 1

I reset my ticker.

Today is day one.  February 8th 2016.

Up till yesterday I had 1 year and 3 months of CONTINUOUS smokefree/nicfree living.

Maybe this run will last even longer.

Just curious....did  you really think smoking would fix everything?  So sorry to read this...please stay close.

Well Bakon -

Not sure I should share this but it was good at the time.  I indulged for one day in my 3 primary dependencies: beer, cigarettes, and the prescription.  My first beer drinkin in 5 years!  When I first lit that cigg, and gulped that beer, it felt like I was "coming home" to myself. 

Guess that's bound to be the case.  Cigarettes & alcohol were my vice babies for over 15 years.

I'm more than a little bummed (2 days later) from the emotional hangover and the disappointment in myself.  Not worth it.  My ticker is at a pathetic 2 days and I texted some rude stuff to a person I used to care about.  Back to sobriety and smobriety.  Wish me luck (anyone reading this).  I can't throw away all the work I put-in and become a smoker again.  I may be physically addicted for a few days but I am well trained for the psychological component.

Any advice or encouragement is welcomed.  Thanks yall for your presence on this board.