Rewarding Yourself For Not Smoking

Colleen

How do you reward yourself for not smoking?  It's okay to spend some of that money you saved from not smoking.  In the very beginning of my quit, I rewarded myself quite a bit because it was important to me.  Nothing extravagant really.  When I hit a year quit, I purchased a pair of spin shoes.  

Two years quit now, my how time flies.  I have a Jawbone UP and have had to send it back more than once.  They send a new one, no questions asked over and over.  Guess they are having problems lol.  Have been really getting tired of it all and had been thinking about upgrading.  So, I order online my two year reward this morning and it already arrived somehow tonight, a Garmin Vivosmart and a HRM.

81kujvqkAGL._SX522_.jpg

• Like 10

I have always want a grandfather clock so I bought one right after quitting. We bought a larger above ground swimming pool a couple of days ago. I am hoping to lose some of the weight I have put on in the pool. My husband is almost at 6 months in his quit. I am so proud of him. I don't think at this point we are rewarding ourselves, we just have all this extra money that would have went up in smoke!

• Like 6

You're darn right it's okay to spend some of that money saved from buying smokes.  Those rewards are reminders of the big picture and the importance of being committed to your quit.  My first reward was a Sonicare Diamond Clean toothbrush.  :D

• Like 5

Yep - I agree rewards are important ... My latest was a Fitbit surge which tracks all my exercise ... I love it :-). Still not sure what / if I will do for the 2 year anniversary tho :-)

• Like 4

You deserve it Colleen! And the rest of you :)

I've bought a ton of stuff, none of which is killing me slowly ;)

I bought myself a leather jacket for my 1 year, not sure what I will get myself for my 2 year - probably not much as all I ever wanted should be with me around 29/11 :d

• Like 6

What a GREAT thread, Colleen!!!!  :D   Mine will be a swinging egg chair for the balcony!

Truth be told, I won't HAVE a lot of "spending" money, per se.... I've spent YEARS "robbing Peter to pay Paul".....

in fact, if not for my sister..... *sigh*.... anyway.....After my 1st (true) quit, in 2005, my habits changed, so I only smoked outside

and in 'private'..... very few knew! (imagine THAT stress!!?)  a couple of my daughters "found out" but I'd lie and say "i've quit again"....

I did quit for a few days, weeks..... then bang! (most of you know that scenario)

anyway, not intending to change the mood of this amazing thread.... but my CONSTANT REWARD IS....

"Now I'm TRULY financially independent!!!!"     :lol:   

• Like 3

You're darn right it's okay to spend some of that money saved from buying smokes.  Those rewards are reminders of the big picture and the importance of being committed to your quit.  My first reward was a Sonicare Diamond Clean toothbrush.  :D

A Sonicare toothbrush was also one of the first and best things I bought with my quit money.

1236007-Clipart-Of-A-3d-Shark-Wearing-Su

• Like 5

I borrowed a book on astronomy from the library, and when I opened it a $20 bill fell out of it. This never happened to me when I was a smoker. This isn't the first time I've attracted surprise amounts of money since I've quit smoking. It's weird.

• Like 2

I borrowed a book on astronomy from the library, and when I opened it a $20 bill fell out of it. This never happened to me when I was a smoker. This isn't the first time I've attracted surprise amounts of money since I've quit smoking. It's weird.

You do realize that the odds of that happening are simply... 

remote?

• Like 1

Okay, but here is what is good about it. If I was still smoking I'd immediately spend any found money on extra packs of cigarettes which I'd stash in my freezer. Any extra money automatically went for more cancer sticks. Since posting this I've been walking around with that 20 dollar bill unbroken..until today finally decided to have an espresso at my favorite cafe. In general, money just seems to hang around longer. Also, when I smoked I kept company with other smokers more often, and everyone bummed cigarettes off of me, costing me more money.  As a smoker I certainly didn't have the patience to read books on astronomy, cosmology, and physics. It all feels a little magical to me...and I am even starting to "forget" what exactly I did as a smoker besides smoking...it seems like a dark chapter without much fun or magic.

• Like 2

I bought some new clothes for my slight weight gain...12 lbs which makes my regular clothes just a bit snug! But I was careful to buy clothes I can still wear when that weight comes back off! Lol!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eeek I missed this thread!

I have bought more than I have saved probably (definitely)

The first was Batman... Then 2 pairs of Newton running shoes.... My most recent purchase was my new skates, poison wheels, all of the pads, and a helmet (aka Derby gear!!)