"It’s déjà vu all over again". Yogi Berra

Mike.

A fat guy once asked a skinny guy how he could lose weight. The skinny guy looked at the fat guy and said, "Dude, just stop stuffing your face."

Just take the freaking fag out of your mouth and stop gaming on this site if you are still puffing on skull and crossbones. That's my advice.

As someone who's been both in recent years (and is now fat again), this is the kind of advice that gets you glared at. I eat better and more clean now than at any point in my life - metabolisms are complicated. Only a predestined skinny person could think that sort of advice is helpful.

I won't be commenting any more on this or any other thread you start as I need to protect my quit. There are endless ways

to support a quit but the quit can't be supported or a voice about it heard until you take the flaming turd out of your mouth. Seriously, dude, it's that simple.

I think you're right - it is that simple. But I think you're wrong - it's not that easy. I'm not in charge of this board and I don't know our policy, but if someone is sincerely struggling to face their demons and quit, I want to support them. I agree that you should do whatever you have to do to keep your quit. Absolutely. But Mike doesn't strike me as romancing his addiction, and I think he's really fighting, and when he wins, other newbies and lurkers will read that and see themselves in it, and maybe be inspired.

And (God forbid), if you or any other quitter should relapse and then turn to your friends and supporters here to quit again, I'd hate to see anyone tell you to stay off the board.

So I agree with you - Mike, you need to quit. But I think you should stay here and use every tool at your disposal to do it. And cpk, you need to guard your quit at all costs, and if that means avoiding Mike for the time being, I'm sure everyone including him will understand and not take it personally.

[/0.02]

{1 grammar edit}

• Like 4

As someone who's been both in recent years (and is now fat again), this is the kind of advice that gets you glared at. I eat better and more clean now than at any point in my life - metabolisms are complicated. Only a predestined skinny person could think that sort of advice is helpful.

I think you're right - it is that simple. But I think you're wrong - it's not that easy. I'm not in charge of this board and I don't know our policy, but if someone is sincerely struggling to face their demons and quit, I want to support them. I agree that you should do whatever you have to do to keep your quit. Absolutely. But Mike doesn't strike me as romancing his addiction, and I think he's really fighting, and when he wins, other newbies and lurkers will read that and see themselves in it, and maybe be inspired.

And (God forbid), if you or any other quitter should relapse and then turn to your friends and supporters here to quit again, I'd hate to see anyone tell you to stay off the board.

So I agree with you - Mike, you need to quit. But I think you should stay here and use every tool at your disposal to do it. And cpk, you need to guard your quit at all costs, and if that means avoiding Mike for the time being, I'm sure everyone including him will understand and not take it personally.

[/0.02]

{1 grammar edit}

I agree, B.  I think Mike is trying to build a quit and needs our support.  This board if for quitters and for people wanting to quit.  

cpk, protect your quit at all costs....you probably won't see this as you were leaving this thread...

Mike, we are here for you, always.  I found your post very interesting.

• Like 4

A fat guy once asked a skinny guy how he could lose weight. The skinny guy looked at the fat guy and said, "Dude, just stop stuffing your face."

Just take the freaking fag out of your mouth and stop gaming on this site if you are still puffing on skull and crossbones. That's my advice.

CPK,

If it really was this easy, then there wouldn't be anyone smoking. 

I get where your coming from.  I have had a hard time with it myself in the past.  It's almost unfair that they get to smoke and we don't.   But it's not like that at all.

He's a prisoner inside his own self.  And he needs support. 

I encourage you to protect your quit in every way.  But I also encourage you to examine why him smoking upsets you so much. 

I strongly think it's cause you have a heart.  And you want to see him succeed. But I also wonder if there isn't an ounce of jealousy somewhere in there too.  And IF that's the case, please remember there is nothing to be jealous of.  He doesn't "get" to smoke. He feels like he HAS to smoke.  And that is what is imprisoning him. 

Mike, you keep reading and talking to us.  I want you here as much as possible.  You have quit before and you CAN do it again.

• Like 3

CPK,

If it really was this easy, then there wouldn't be anyone smoking. 

I get where your coming from.  I have had a hard time with it myself in the past.  It's almost unfair that they get to smoke and we don't.   But it's not like that at all.

He's a prisoner inside his own self.  And he needs support. 

I encourage you to protect your quit in every way.  But I also encourage you to examine why him smoking upsets you so much. 

I strongly think it's cause you have a heart.  And you want to see him succeed. But I also wonder if there isn't an ounce of jealousy somewhere in there too.  And IF that's the case, please remember there is nothing to be jealous of.  He doesn't "get" to smoke. He feels like he HAS to smoke.  And that is what is imprisoning him. 

Mike, you keep reading and talking to us.  I want you here as much as possible.  You have quit before and you CAN do it again.

No jealousy. None. His smoking does not upset me. His smoking and ruminating on a Quit Train site does. He can smoke and ruminate all he wants. I just don't know why he's doing it here. I was pretty irritable when I wrote those responses...not out of jealousy. Just because I'm a newbie of 5.5 weeks and am irritable a lot these days. I don't belong on this thread. I need to protect my quit. GTQ. Time is precious and I'll spend mine near the serious sticky quits.  PS Sorry for the thin/fat remarks. I have struggled with maintaining a normal weight my whole life, and have found that not putting so much food in my mouth, and moving around more actually works. Go figure! I'm really off this thread but enjoyed everyone's comments.

• Like 1

[/0.02]

{1 grammar edit}

If I was out of line, I apologize. I might have been confused about this site. I thought it was for those who had already quit and needed support, or

those he had relapsed and were into a new quit.

• Like 2

the only requirement for this site is a desire to quit smoking....regardless of where anyone is in their quit journey...

I never ever want anyone to feel hesitant to come back here after relapse....even if they are still smoking...actually...they are the ones who need our support most.  

CPK..definitely understand your frustration...being that your quit is still a baby and delicate....definitely needs protecting and that has to be your priority.  

Look forward to celebrating both your 1 year annys!

• Like 4

the only requirement for this site is a desire to quit smoking....regardless of where anyone is in their quit journey...

I never ever want anyone to feel hesitant to come back here after relapse....even if they are still smoking...actually...they are the ones who need our support most.  

CPK..definitely understand your frustration...being that your quit is still a baby and delicate....definitely needs protecting and that has to be your priority.  

Look forward to celebrating both your 1 year annys!

I made a mistake jumping on a thread where I didn't belong. I need to stay focused and GTQ. Thanks.

Ok Mike. I live in Canada & there certainly is such a thing as "social" psychiatry. Counselling is far preferred above meds . When people are unable to persue goals they are instructed on what goals to work on. You & I are trained in the same vocation. I understand the stress you have been through. I hear your pain. But Mike, You need to decide one way or another....am I going to smoke or not? You are a smart guy....well read & well spoken. I have not been on this site for long but I have been in touch with you several times....even on chat. Mike, you need to make up your mind. Our jobs are very stressful....few can understand....right? But there ARE other ways of dealing with stress that don't include killing ourselves by smoking. I DO understand and you know I do. Stress is not just from our jobs....we live our jobs...our identity is what we do. You have to decide on yes or no then stick to it. It has sure as hell not been easy for me either.....it would be easier to just give in & smoke. But when you are faced with live or die, you make a decision. Make a decision Mike. I will help you. Just reach out....there are so many great people here who want to help. I get where you are coming from....I too have been there. It sucks but it's life. You CAN Quit....if you really want to. A little tough love....but as a Colleague & dare I say someone who wants to help you.... I care. k?

• Like 2

-snip-

I live in Canada & there certainly is such a thing as "social" psychiatry.

Maybe, it is more prominent there. In any event, I lucked out in getting one, "me feels".

I read the post. Thanks again, for your offers of help. It hasn't escaped me, that you are here for me.

I am quit today. I'll be nicotine free, within 2 - 3 days.

• Like 3

Maybe, it is more prominent there. In any event, I lucked out in getting one, "me feels".

I read the post. Thanks again, for your offers of help. It hasn't escaped me, that you are here for me.

I am quit today. I'll be nicotine free, within 2 - 3 days.

Good man! You have made a decision to Quit. Now get on with it...it sucks the first week but you will be ok. You know what you're in for. And you know you can do it. I'm thinking of you & wishing you success & all the best!

• Like 1

If I was out of line, I apologize. I might have been confused about this site. I thought it was for those who had already quit and needed support, or

those he had relapsed and were into a new quit.

You certainly don't owe me any apology. Different sites have different standards - on WhyQuit, if you slip once you're out for a lifetime. I never joined there because I never thought I could keep quit my first time out, which ironically is just what I did.

I don't set the rules here, but I think it's a balancing act. If I saw someone coming here and truly "gaming" the site, romancing cigarettes and sabotaging quitters with no intent to quit themselves, I'd want them gone. Anyway, you're doing great, and it's a pleasure to watch you fight and keep your quit. That's what this board is all about.

• Like 2

How are you doing Mike? One day at a time....heck, one hour at a time can seem like days! I remember & still have those moments but it's getting better. Extra tough when your spouse smokes. I know yours does. I give you credit for doing this...you are a lot stronger than you think. I believe in you & obviously others here do too. I always thought it was the smoke that relieved the stress...but it was actually the "time out" that relieved the stress. You can still take your "time out" but do something other than smoking. I chew, chew, chew gum!!!! That's what I go to store for now :) And I buy lots of gum so I don't have to go to that Variety Store very often!!!

Mike,

I have read that post twice. The items on that list, they seem to have in common what quitting smoking advocates preach in taking your life, your health and your happiness back. And, he's holding you accountable. It might have come from his brain and he may be thinking for you, but is going to hold your feet to the fire. Thanks for sharing that one, I gotta say that is a serious menu. I think you can do the whole list.

Mike,

I have read that post twice. The items on that list, they seem to have in common what quitting smoking advocates preach in taking your life, your health and your happiness back. And, he's holding you accountable. It might have come from his brain and he may be thinking for you, but is going to hold your feet to the fire. Thanks for sharing that one, I gotta say that is a serious menu. I think you can do the whole list.

I think you can too!  Check in with us when you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I am given pause, to post this, (and have good reason to do so) but, I feel drawn to do it. Besides, it's supposed to "help".

So, here goes!

tick-tock; tick-tock!

Tick tock

Anything new to share with your fellow quits here Mike?

You still have my attention.  How's your program running?

Markus

Mike remember how you helped me quit. In between the numbers game on the other site and posting cats i spent all of my time fighting fighting.

How did you make it through last time? What did you do when you were helping me? Does it not work any more?

• Like 1

Tick tock

Anything new to share with your fellow quits here Mike?

You still have my attention.  How's your program running?

Markus

Hey Marcus.

I have so many threads going, duh ... don't ever get depressed. It sucks!  I posted one response to you in another thread, but I guess I never made it clear to you, that I had smoked again after starting this thread. I am on a new quit though. It's 10 days done nicotine-free!

How's it going? Well, much better than stopping and starting all over the place. That's one positive. Another is, it is still viable, and I'm through hell-week.

Thanks, for checking up on me, and I think the link you sent, that I haven't read yet. You know I will, though.

m/

Mike remember how you helped me quit. In between the numbers game on the other site and posting cats i spent all of my time fighting fighting.

How did you make it through last time? What did you do when you were helping me? Does it not work any more?

I sure do remember "you"!. I was looking for a link to an article on Nicotine Addiction last night, and came across a file, that I thought might have it. To my surprise, it was a link to my first year anniversary thread started by Jenny at QSMB, and there you were, with your picture of a cat as an avatar. In the end of your response, you meowed at me. lol I'm sorry I haven't acknowledged you here. There are so many friends, and at the present, I'm a little slow.

Thank you, for reaching out to me, again!

My best to you.

m/

• Like 3

[/0.02]

{1 grammar edit}

~~~

Sometimes it takes a few tries to finally quit for good....

I always say never give up....giving up.....

I'm glad folks come back and give it another try....some make it.....

It really is...a matter of saving some ones life...

Yes ...as a family we get disappointed when someone throws thier quit away....

But are always happy to see them return....

I never forget.....these folks here cared enough to help me through my quit....and help me succeed....

• Like 3