Your First Days, nicotine Free

Sazerac

• 3 weeks later...

Sleep. Until the 5 month mark i slept 12 hours a day. I was very gloomy so at 9pm i thought screw it and just went to bed. I still dont enjoy life as much to this very day but at least im not sleeping so much now.

Sleep. Until the 5 month mark i slept 12 hours a day. I was very gloomy so at 9pm i thought screw it and just went to bed. I still dont enjoy life as much to this very day but at least im not sleeping so much now.

How can a person sleep 12 hours a day when we have career's? It's not like I can take 5 month's off work simply because I stopped smoking. 

I hope you will begin to enjoy life. Cigarettes are not what will bring you joy. We both know that. It is finding that 'something' that FEELS like joy, I guess  like smoking did to you?.....

All I can say to the new people who want to become a non-smoker is: first off, you want to WANT IT, and badly. Not just because of health reasons, family, friends etc. YOU are the one who has to want it, and then YOU are the one who will go through whatever your body will do when you stop feeding {smoking} the poison. It is not a fun little stroll in the park..not at all. But every hour, every day you can say 'wow, I didn't smoke for {x} amount of time'...will hopefully make you want to keep setting another short goal. Maybe another hour, 1/2 a day and so on.

It still sucks. For me anyway, it sucked bad. In spite of all the health risk blah blah blah, there were times I did enjoy a cigarette with my coffee. A cigarette with my friend's on wine night. Or a cigarette when I was pissed off at the world. Now.........I drink tea, don't go out on wine night, but still get pissed at the world and find something else to do rather than focus on not smoking. It is NOT easy.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

• I have an excessively large bag of jolly ranchers.  I pop one in when I get a craving, when I'm bored or when I'm in the car
  • I bought some aromatherapy candles and lotions.  Nothing calms me faster than a good smelling lotion, which actually smells good because you can smell it!!! Sniff the cravings away.
  • Lots of water - I like carbonated water as it feels like I'm having a pop...makes it feel like a treat
  • Support from Quit Train (what a godsend)
  • If I get a particularly bad craving on the weekend, I might take a quick nap
  • READING (been my new habit)
  • Going to a movie
  • Taking my husbands never-smoked-in truck vs my smoked-in-everyday car
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

This is my 12 quit day Had 3 cigarettes yesterday after 10 strong days of NOPE. Now I gotta start all over. Sooo hard cause I get really gloomy &I cry like a blubber a lot plus get pissed at my boyfriend who I also made my ex. Yesterday. Well HERE I GO AGAIN. So hard. Glad you are all here for us.

• Like 3

Hi joy..welcome...

You need to read all you can alot easier when you have the right tools..

There is heaps of information here.to get you on your wayway..

This is your day one ,if you smoked yesterday...smoking won't solve anything... Just make matters worse..

Stay close..

• Like 2

Hey Joybella :) I'm glad you came back to us. Please also go to the dedicated daily NOPE pledge page here and pledge your NPE every day. It will help you focus on what you need to do each day. You are right, this isn't easy at all and the emotional part is particularly hard to deal with but if you want it badly enough, you will find a way to deal with the emotions without lighting up again. Your emotional state will get better with time, probably not as fast as you would like but it does get better.

Have you spoken to your doctor about your quitting plan and what options there are to help you cope with the emotional aspect? That might e worth a try. Anything you can do to get you firmly established in your quit will be a very good thing. I look forward to following your journey. We'll be here to support you in any way we can :D

So glad you responded Doreen. Start tomorrow fresh by saying nope again. I'll be brave & do cold turkey So fearful of withdrawals thou. Maybe it will be best if I buy a pack & leave unopened that way I can stare it down. My best friend smokes so when I go over I'll bring my pack. I'm really testing my resolve. But at least I won't be inclined to bum one.

• Like 1

Thanks for being here for me Doreen. I'm going to make tomorrow my new quit date. I'm going to use my patches again for a while thou couple days on 21mg then cut down to 15mg. for a couple weeks then 7mg for a couple weeks &I I should be strong enough & away from it long enough that I will succeed.

• Like 1

What ever you think will work best for you then, try it. In the end though, understand that this will come down to you wanting to be smoke free more than being a smoker.

I would strongly recommend that you do not buy a pack of cigs. This is not a good idea under any circumstances. If they are that available, the temptation to light up is likely to get the better of you in the early days of your quit. Also, tell your friend you are quitting smoking. Your friend should know about this and I would think they will be supportive to you. Let us know how you're doing. We are here to lend support as needed  :) 

Please also read all the information you can about this addiction. Once you truly understand there is no benefit to smoking, you will be able to give it up much more easily.

Have real cravings this afternoon want to bum cig from neighbor. Gotta breathe & read all my supporters posts!

There is only one way to kill the cravings for good...stop smoking.  With every NOPE the addiction loses its power and eventually cravings become a thing of the past.  Don't feed the beast.

Everything you're feeling now (withdrawal, obsessive thoughts, etc.) is temporary.  The freedom gained from soldiering on through the rough patches will last you a lifetime.

• Like 3

Yes Joybella - you have to just power through these early days. I know it gets tiring trying to fight the urges to smoke but you just have to not give in and resist those urges to smoke. Today's struggles will give you strength to face tomorrow and things do start to settle down after a bit. It's different for everyone in terms of time frame but things do get better. Just take it one day or even one hour at a time. It WILL get better - I promise!! Come on here and read everything you can about the addiction of smoking. I spent a few days doing almost nothing else. Do whatever you need to do not to smoke.You CAN do this! We stand behind you in this fight :)

Keep busy..do anything...do jigsaws... Colouring books..puzzles...

Come here and read till your eyes bleed...

That little nico monster ..he's going to try and mess with your head...your stronger than he is..

Tell him to naff off...your a beautiful non smoker...

Your doing great ..believe it....

Just dust yourself down...throw all cigs and lighter away..jump back on the train..your seat is still here..

Have you read Allen Carr the easy way...if not I strongly recommend it asap...

Learn by this..what went wrong..??....be ready next time...that little nico monster will try and lure you back...

We have a SOS...post there before you smoke...if you need us...

Never stick anything in your mouth and set fire to it...do anything else you can think of...

You know you don't want to be a smoker..because you found us...make that firm stand...

Read all old post here..watch all the video,S...so much info here..to help...

• Like 2

Now I'm smoking & wishing I had stuck with saying NOPE. 

No need to wish, you just do it.  All that time spent smoking and hating it, thinking about quitting, feeling trapped by the addiction and the self-loathing that comes with that...that's more of a burden than quitting smoking is.

I'm a failure at this I think. Really disappointed in myself thou. 

Just because you haven't done it yet doesn't mean you can't do it right now.  Learn about the addiction.  Commit to the quit.  Start enjoying the benefits of freedom from nicotine immediately.  It is a simple process that will benefit you in so many ways.

• Like 1

Yes Joybella, what these others have said is true and yes, we are all here to support you but I think you know that you alone are the final deciding factor in quitting successfully. All of us were once in the same position as you are in now. The only way through is to just put up with the crummy feelings that come along with the early quit. They won't kill you and they won't last forever. It gets better as time goes on.  As others have said. Read as much as you can about this addiction. Watch the videos available right here on this site. Know what you are fighting for and why. Realize you CAN do it and commit to the quit! You can do it - believe in yourself :D

Just dust yourself down...throw all cigs and lighter away..jump back on the train..your seat is still here..

Have you read Allen Carr the easy way...if not I strongly recommend it asap...

Learn by this..what went wrong..??....be ready next time...that little nico monster will try and lure you back...

We have a SOS...post there before you smoke...if you need us...

Never stick anything in your mouth and set fire to it...do anything else you can think of...

You know you don't want to be a smoker..because you found us...make that firm stand...

Read all old post here..watch all the video,S...so much info here..to help...

Good decision Joybella. Think about what you learned from having just relapsed. Why you did and how bad you felt after you had that first cig. Be stronger than the urge next time. Educate yourself about the addiction because as you do, you will understand the lies we tell ourselves about smoking. Smoking solves nothing and only adds to your problems. Stay close here and post your daily pledge in the NOPE thread every day. It will help remind you each day what you need to do for yourself. Let us know how you're doing too :)