New here

Hi all. New to the site. Have had several quit attempts. Started last week and made it to day 3 before relapse. On day 3 currently of my 2nd attempt in 2 weeks. Day 3 sucks! Just trying to get out of my own head. Using combo NRT, patches and lozenges. So glad to have found this. So much for me to look at. It seems like it will be a huge help.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard the train @JustQuit83 and congratulations on getting your freedom back :) You'll find all the support you want here from members in all phases of quitting from newbies like you to us old phartes who have a year or more so between us all you should be able to find any answers to any questions you may have while going through this tough first year.

I'm glad you're checking out the various boards, lots of good info there as well as a fun Social Section for getting your mind off quitting while still staying close to your support. 

I'm glad the NRT's are working for you, please be careful while using them that you don't over use them. It can be really dangerous. I think it's safer to choose either patches or lozenges or take the patch off while using the lozenges and then put it back on if you need to.

I'm going to move this thread to our Introduction forum so more members will see it :) 

• Like 6

Thanks for the welcome. Talked to the doc a out the combo method. Because of how much nicotine I was already taking in he didn't seem to be concerned. The lozenges are only when a strong craving comes. So far, so good. I will monitor it though. I was at 2 packs a day🤯! Can't believe I was doing that.

• Like 6

Hi JQ83

Welcome to quit train take a seat on the train and settle in there's lots of helpful passengers here who are happy to share their experience of travelling on this train with you.

It's not a free ride you have to pay the ticket price by putting in a lot of effort to keep on track for the journey .

No smoking carriages only on this train which may help you keep your quit going till  you arrive at the final destination of a smoke free life.

Good luck the journey gets more enjoyable the longer it lasts even if it is a bit hard for the first stages.

See you around.

• Like 6

Welcome @JustQuit83  You are doing a great thing in quitting smoking.  Yes, it is really tough early on but the early struggles are worth it.

Stick around.  Read up on the quit smoking discussions part of the site.  Reach out for help as needed.

You are doing a great thing.  It is good to have you here.

• Like 5

Hi @JustQuit83, welcome to the forum.  Interesting that you're using both patches and lozenges but I guess it makes sense given how many cigarettes you smoked per day.  Isn't it so much nicer to breathe in fresh air than to have a cigarette hanging out of your mouth day in and day out?  Well maybe you don't feel that way just yet but you will in time.  Be patient with yourself as you make the transformation from smoker to non-smoker.  Learn about the addiction; it makes quitting easier and helps you to stick with it.  There is a lot of great information on this site.

Best wishes to you for a successful quit!

• Like 6

Howdy @JustQuit83! Big congrats on making it to day three. Wo hoo you!

I, too, quit using a combo of patches and lozenges at first. Every person is different, but I found them both to be helpful initially, while I was first getting my bearings on the withdrawal and disorientation of quitting. Lozenges were used on moderation, as my Red-Alert-terrible-craving-but  “I’m NOT gonna smoke dammit!” tool. Once I had my feet under me and the panic of quitting eased up a bit, I tapered off all NRT.

Stay strong, stay busy, and keep us updated… we’re cheering you on! People who stay active on the discussion board improve their odds of success, so let us know how each day goes.

Freedom awaits!!

• Like 8

Hey @DenaliBlues. Thank you. I definitely will be checking in. Same here with the lozenges. Using sugar free mints mostly. Driving is a big trigger for me. Use the lozenges usually when I'm driving so far. My mindset is definitely feeling stronger this time. The last time!💪

• Like 8

Yayyy @JustQuit83!!! Nice to “meet” you and congrats!! It really does suck in the beginning but it will totallyyyy get better.  I was a two pack a day er too and driving was also my biggest trigger. Jillar here told me about her JAC, her Jillar’s air cigarette and then I coined my straw cotton ball contraption my BAC Bri’s Air Cigarette lol and it very much helps during the first I’d say 3-5 months, then I just kind of forgot about it. But you literally hold it w your two fingers or just put two fingers up to your mouth and breathe in like you would a drag and blow. It tricks your mind but also I really believe stupid smoking forced us to deep breathe more than we all would without it so remember to deep breathe a bunch of times bc that helps. Come here to post and we’re here for ya!

• Like 5

JQ83

2nd quit in two weeks hell yes we have a brawler! Nail this thing, smile and laugh at the craves because they can't have you!! The more you hang around here, read post and play games the fewer craves can work on ya. As Yoda mentioned get yourself a ticker to document the crushed days and the amount of burning smelly stink sticks you haven't used along with the cash you are saving.1604054475_smiley1.png.5f9755995ad62add11f5a25f3a051134.png Remember time is on your side...

Maybe post a daily NOPE. It does help keep a daily promise to yourself.

Keep positive.

Keep the Quit.

Cheers, Stew.

Edited by Stewbum
  • Like 6

Hello and welcome aboard this fabulous Train …it goes all the way to Freedom …

we are all here to help you along …

Take it day by day …

Read all you can ..get to know the board and its wonderful members ..

you can do it …x

• Like 3

@Stewbum I'm using the Smoke Free app. It has a timer/day counter, ticker for cigs not smoked, money counter, and tracks the health benefits you are gaining back. Even has a diary to track cravings and an AI quit coach. Pretty cool app. Thanks for the welcome. Appreciate it. Here's to day 5!

• Like 7

@JustQuit83 I will have to look up that app, sounds pretty coolio. Congrats on that day #5. those first days are definitely the toughest. Here it's called hell week!!

Great you posted on the NOPE page. Onward and upward!

KTQ

Cheers, Stew.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...