I smoked last night at work and today I am back on the train.

nicotine_free

I got to work very early last night and bummed a cigarette from my boss. While I was outside smoking it I saw half a cigarette on the ground, I smoked them both.

Today I am back on the train, I will not let this addiction win. I am here for the long haul.

Thanks for your support.

I am also watching and reading about the CBQ method of quitting smoking, makes sense but it's expensive.

• Sad 4

Why don't you just tell your boss you quit and not to give you cigarettes? It's very dangerous to smoke and use your NRT at the same time. Try using my JAC (jillars air cigarette) while you're at work. Just pretend your holding an actual cigarette between your fingers and then go through the motions of "smoking" it. It worked great at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Maybe it'll do the same for you.............

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @jillar. I realize the danger of chewing nicotine gum and smoking at the same time. If I were pressed for a reason why I smoked I must say I don't know. The urge came out of the blue and I didn't try very hard to fight it. I will take your suggestion to use a straw, I've had good results with that in the past.

My boss knows I quit, she's just a good enabler.

Edited by nicotine_free

Have you read Allen Carr the easy way to stop smoking ????

I bought the complete Allen Carr clinic session ..5 cd,s and listened to them a couple of times ...

Much cheaper ...

You are looking to lay alot of your hard earned cash looking for a way to quit easier ....

There is no other way than to stop smoking ...stop putting things in your mouth and set fire to it ...

All the answers you are looking for are here.....

We have preparation ....we try and get your mind in the right place ....and you have the support to succeed

Even if you go through this clinic...you still have to say NO to your boss....

Maybe come here 24/7 and post ...I did ...Quitting doesn't have to cost a lot of money ..🐸

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Doreensfree, is right, quitting doesn't have to cost a lot of money. I quit cold turkey just because I thought it was ridiculous how much they wanted for NRT's.  All quitting is is practicing self discipline. The same way you don't go jump off a cliff with no parachute you don't smoke. That's it. It's going to suck for a bit but then it's over with and you're done stinking, wasting money and further damaging your health. Take it from me, you don't want to be attached to an oxygen hose 24/7 😞 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Doreensfree. I have read the easy way, but it was a long time ago. I book marked an illustrated version of the book that's free, I will read it again. I feel like I'm making progress despite my recent set back, like I said I'm in this for the duration. I keep on learning and sooner or later it will stick.

• Like 3

Sorry you had a set back but so glad you are back. Read old posts and learn from what others tell you. I have picked up bits and pieces of advice from so many people here who know what we are going through. Jillars peppermint puffs keeps my mouth occupied, Doreen's qi gong keeps me moving, Yoda and a daily morning walk, and Kel and Kris with all their advice have helped me to build a solid quit, just to name a few. I still read Alan Carr almost every day. Deep breathing does wonders.  I have learned over the past few weeks that triggers are going to happen and the craves are coming whether we like it or not. I know you can do this. So happy to see you back and so determined. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jillar said:

All quitting is is practicing self discipline. The same way you don't go jump off a cliff with no parachute you don't smoke. That's it. It's going to suck for a bit but then it's over with and you're done stinking, wasting money and further damaging your health. Take it from me, you don't want to be attached to an oxygen hose 24/7 😞 

This sums it up.  The above is all you need.  Print it off, write it down, tattoo it on your hand if necessary so you can read it every minute of every day until it becomes part of your being.  You don't need books or pills or plug to shove up your bum, you just need understand this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@nicotine_freeIt sounds as though this was a planned relapse, else why not reach out to one of us for help? Post an SOS? Maybe you needed to give it one last go? I certainly had a few tries before it took. Glad you are back! I think you can go through all of the "methods" of quitting but the reality is that its just about not putting a cigarette in your mouth and lighting it. That's all we have to do. Simple but not easy.

Blessing-K

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am so sad for you, not a reason to do it, nothing horrible happened. Yet you did it.  You smoked a cigarette that someone else threw on the ground.  Does that sound like an addictt, yes.  Does that sound like a person you want to be? NO!

If you thought that was an OK option will you next be eating out of a dumpster, stealing a car, knocking down an old lady for her purse?

NO!, you would not do those things, so why would you do that?  Why would you decide on a whim that you are not valuable? Why was it okay to put your health and life at risk again? You need to sit down with yourself and half a long hard talk with yourself about how that really happened.

I am 8 months out and I still have daily talks with myself about why I am doing this.  I accept the fact that I want to smoke and I would if there were not the fact I know for sure (cat scan showed beginning of emphysema) that I would be making myself sick. I don't know a lot about you, how long you have smoked, how old you are etc.  What I do know there are real consequences for smoking.  

I am sorry for what you might think as a harsh response.  It is not, I am just trying to give you a wake up call.  You know you can do this, you just have to get your mind right.  Love yourself!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi nicotine_free

I just went back and read some of your first posts. You used the word committed and commitment a lot.

That's what it takes....commit to the quit! You can do it.

I know going back and reading my own words helped me, try it.

You already said that work is a big trigger, boy I know how true that is.

I'm assuming you can't quit your job, so.....you need a plan to get you through your work day.

Try some different things until something clicks.

Keep in your mind to get through today, just today. One day at a time. Pull up that strength for just today.

You smoked for 42 years. That's a long time, so to rewire your brain will require some work. It's doable.

Commit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to all who responded. I am committed to quit and will not stop my efforts for any reason. Many of you offered suggestions which I intend to use. Also I am replacing some thoughts with better alternatives:

"I want to smoke." now becomes "I want to breathe fresh air."

"I need to smoke." now becomes "I need to breathe fresh air."

I am certain if I replace these thoughts diligently I will have a successful quit.

• Like 7