Sleep

Kdad

For me, I am still having problems with sleep.  It is normal, your body is going thru a lot of changes.  You have to expect there will be some changes as you adjust.  Just be kind to yourself, that is all you can do while the body and mind learn that there is no more nicotine. It is not easy but you can do it. Have patience in all things.

• Like 8

Yes my sleep was disturbed for a while ...

I just kept telling myself whatever I was going through its will be Temporary....

You have have been feeding poisons into your body for Decades ...it's only natural it's a bit confused just now. 

Most of us have been where you are K....you have to be strong ...🐸

• Like 7

I have definitely been having weird sleep. Either too much or too little lots of tossing and turning and I'm vividly remembering my dreams which are all about struggles of one kind or another. One thing positive though, I don't have to hop out of bed for my first cigarette of the day any more so I just lay there and ease into getting up. I find it much more enjoyable.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just woke up from a long nap. My problem seems to be up half the night and then sleeping three or four hours in the day time. This seems to be a pattern that started within the last few days. Seems as if I am over tired. I just woke up now and it feels like I need to go back to bed. Hope this doesn't last long. Gonna watch the above video now. 

• Like 2

@Sunshine, insomnia is pretty common when quitting. I took a OTC sleep aid a couple times to help get me back on track. I always say listen to your body when quitting. If it wants rest, rest, sleep, sleep, eat then eat.... It's doing a lot of work trying to clean up the years of gunk smoking left!

• Like 5

jillar I do have melatonin which I have not taken so far. Just watched the above video and it helped to understand the sleep issues. It's just that the sleep patters change and it's so new to me. Thank goodness I no longer need to go to a job.  At least I can sleep when the mood strikes. This too shall pass. Thanks for your help and encouragement. It means alot, especially in these trying times.

• Like 5

I would just trust your body. It will right itself eventually but in the early quit, it does all sorts of odd things. I take Valerian for sleep which helps a great deal. Kava kava is another natural calmative. And, of course, copious amounts of chamomile tea. 

• Like 5

@SunshineI am going thru another round of sleep issues.  Like you can't sleep at night and then sleep during the day.  I am trying to flip my sleep cycle right now.  I will be awake all night tonight and have been gradually making myself stay awake during the day as long as I can. I think I may be able to get back to a normal sleep pattern in a few days.  I don't think this is being caused by the quit.  I think it is an aging thing now.

• Like 5

I have been getting my sleep issues resolved lately but it's taken some time to let the process work.  first, cutting out the caffeine or reducing drastically can help a lot since the body doesn't metabolize it as efficiently as when you smoked.  second, get 10 to 15 minutes of sunlight in your face every morning.  go for a walk, preferably before 9 am.  It will help reset your body and brain circadian rhythms.  The sunlight is much more effective if you are actually outside as opposed to seeing it through a window.  Also the effect isn't diminished that much on cloudy days.  third, while your outside try and get some exercise.  I started skipping during my walks.  just enough to get my heart rate and breathing up for a few minutes.  And lastly, get a blue light filter for your screens.  I use f lux on my laptop and my phone has one built in.  f lux is a free app.  I started noticing positive results in about 2 weeks.  The first thing that happened was I started waking up at about 7 am with no alarm, regardless of how late I stayed up.  Then I started falling asleep earlier and earlier.  Now I'm usually asleep around 11 30 which is a lot better than the 3 to 5 am bedtimes I was at.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@SunshineValerian is an herb you can get in any health-food store and online. It smells something awful but it sure does work to help with consistent sleep absent the drug component which you don't really want to do. I started taking it when I first got sober and go through stages but it always helps to regulate my sleep. Guided meditation is a good one-I like Kelly Howell (she is on YouTube). 

• Like 3

Yes Kris sounds exactly what I am doing. Up half the night then on and off sleep during the day. I can contribute some to our age and some to this to the quitting process. I am just so not motivated to do much except sleep. Feel and look like a used dish rag lately. But hanging in there. I keep saying when the going gets tough the tough get going. 

• Like 4

Oh intoxicated Yoda such great advice in your post. A morning walk sounds ideal. I do need some sun as my vitamin D was a very low 13 percent at one point and is now at 22. Never thought of a light filter either. Hopefully like you things will turn around in another week or so. Your post is so informative and thanks so much😁. Need all the help I can get.

• Like 4

KEL I am gonna get some Valerian as soon as I feel it is safe to get out of my pajamas. I have seen meditation videos on YouTube but never tried it. Someone else on here suggested meditation techniques to me so I will look into the one you suggested. Also waiting on qi gong DVD I ordered on line. Until it gets here I will venture out next week and do the morning walk as intoxicated Yoda suggested, get me some Valerian and do what Kris is doing by staying awake longer in the day. You all have helped tremendously. Your the best.

• Like 4

Hi Kris. Well this certainly is a work in progress. I did take a Benadryl the last two nights to try and get on some sort of sleeping pattern. It helped some but I still woke up around four. I did manage to get back to sleep but in the morning I still feel like I need more sleep. When I do get out I am going to get some Valerian as Kel suggested. In the meantime we are just going to stay strong and deal with the ups and downs coming our way. Just keep remembering all this is temporary. Stay strong 😁

• Like 3

@Sunshine How are you doing with your sleep?  I am still upside down.  It makes me crazy. I am up all night and sleep from 6 until noon or 1. I get up to a rough start of the so called day and before I know what happened it is dark again. 

I just can't seem to get anything done. I am awake but my mind says it is dark so I should have done the cooking, cleaning and laundry already. I do manage to get a load of laundry done and in the dryer but it stays there until I have to do the next one.  I manage to batch cook and freeze dinners for a few days of meals. Cleaning is hit or miss.  Everything is just messed up and I do mean literally.  Guess it is back to the doctor.  She has addressed it once with sleeping pills but they did not help.  How am I going to fix this, no clue. Are you having any luck?

@intoxicated yodaWell, went to be at 7pm last night and slept until 11am this morning.  Hate to say it but I went with what I call a margarita day.  Drank them all day friday. Alternated with gatorade.  Ate lots of good food. Woke with no hangover signs.  Feel the best I have for a long time. I do not recommend this method but it worked for me.

• Like 4