New year crisis.

Davevat1

Hi, my name is Dave, I’m 58 and I am not prepared.

I had to go to the Doctors the other day, nothing terminal, but a nasty issue, directly smoking related.

I’ve got the support,  being a Brit, of the NHS for an annual crack at giving up with prescribed “stuff”, I’ve got 20/day patches, gum and spray, ALL for free! It’s all sat on the shelf looking at me.

I managed 48hrs without because I couldn’t smoke, and have had 1/2 a pack in the last two days of which I have two left which I’m hanging onto like a junkie in Pointless Park. I will confess now that I have carried out the smokers “out of ciggies” whole house survey which reveals a tin with two roll-ups in it and an ashtray in the garage with three butt ends in. The butts are in the bin, the tin now has No8 woodscrews in it. (In my mind, I am tracking the bin bag, I know exactly where those butt ends are, I know that’s wrong, I know that’s bad, I know exactly where they are).

I wasn’t prepared for this, tomorrow is kick off day and it feels like it has been forced upon me and I’m already beginning to sweat.

For those interested, I’m going to use this as a bit of a blog, possibly to rant, but at least you will probably learn a bit of Welsh slang.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard @Davevat1, forced or not its a great decision to quit this nasty habit! I know what you mean about following the butt ends, I did that too and still got my forever quit, just a few hours later than I started lol.

We have a great group of quitters from all over the world and quit a few from across the pond so you're in good company here😊

Be sure to check out all our different forums. Lots of great info about our addiction as well as tips and clues to help with the craves. We even have a whole video forum if that's more your thing 😊

• Like 3

Welcome Dave.

12 minutes ago, Davevat1 said:

For those interested, I’m going to use this as a bit of a blog, possibly to rant, but at least you will probably learn a bit of Welsh slang.

Yes, definitely use this as a blog and rant all you want about what you are going through.  This site is full of people here who will respond and share insight, advice and support.  We've gone through a lot of the same stress, anxiety, etc. that comes along with quitting smoking and we want to support you in your quitting journey.

It may not feel like it right now but you are doing a great thing by quitting smoking. Read up on nicotine addiction in the "Quit Smoking Discussions" section of this site.  The more you understand about the addiction, the better prepared you will be in quitting for good.

Also, continue to post and rant all you want.  This does help both you as well as other newer quitters who may be experiencing what you are going through.

You are doing a great thing in quitting smoking.  It is also good to have you here on this site.  Welcome aboard.

• Like 4

Hello and welcome @Davevat1....

I came here too after a massive health scare ...Amputation ....

Our brains are our worst enemies...don't over think ....

Read all you can from the Main Smoking Discussion Board....specially the green pinned posts ..

This is a great place to start ,there is tons of great information there ...

Think positive ..your giving up nothing ..and gaining so much ...

I'm in Liverpool ...nice to have you here ...🐸

• Like 4

Welcome aboard @Davevat1! Learning a bit of a new language could be fun! lol And using this as a blog is an excellent idea. So many of us do this and it is very therapeutic and helpful to others also! We are all here to help you if needed. We have an SOS  forum that you can use to reach out on if you are on the verge of lighting up and want help in just saying, ‘NOPE!’ I’m looking forward to following your quit. I’m 9 months into my quit and although it was a nasty bit of a mess initially, I can honestly say that it is so worth it. The smartest thing I’ve ever done! See you around!

• Like 3

You are doing a good thing, @Davevat1  It is normal to be worried, scared, and anxious early on but quitting smoking will improve your life in big ways.  Try to remain positive.  I know that may be tough but your overall health (physical, psychological, financial) does get better with time as you remain quit.

• Like 3

G’day Dave

Time to do the inventory. Get rid of the lot ashtrays lighters all gone. None of that “just in case” it’s over!

Cigs tobacco butts drown them. Plenty of water squash them up …. you can’t smoke nicotine soup. It’s humane to you and they are permanently disabled.

Excited… you should be. Remember your in charge now. Your calling the shots 

• Like 4

@Davevat1Hi Dave, I quit after the doctor call too. It has been six months.  I agree with @CbdaveYou just need to get rid off the smokes and the butts.  I know you are afraid, how will you cope.  I look back at all the overwhelming events of my life and smoking did not keep any of them from happening.  So just accept that smoking does not solve a problem.  It will only bring more, your health will continue to decline.  You heard it from the doctor.  It is the truth, many here can confirm.  I used NRT to start, many went cold turkey.  You have to look deep and hard into your truth. Make your decision on how you want to handle it.  Do not kid yourself, you have to do it and you can do it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Davevat1 said:

Thanks for the support guys, I’m actually worried about this!

What exactly are you worried about? You've got NRT'S if you need them, I'd also stock up on some candies you can suck on because our bodies often crave sweets when we quit. You'll also want to stay well hydrated with water, juices or sport drinks to help clean out the gunk quicker. 

Be sure to listen to your body, especially in the early days. If its hungry, eat. Tired, rest. Thirsty, drink, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davevat1 said:

I know coffee is a trigger etc but one step at a time eh?

Ouch! I had to cut way back on the caffeine when I first quit. This sounds insane but, I would literally sit there and cry for hours and then periodically off and on again throughout the day for no reason or so I thought when I quit smoking. Over time I realized it was my coffee triggering horrendous anxiety attacks. I finally was able to manage having my coffee when I cut the coffee grounds down to 1 teaspoon(yes, 1 teaspoon!) per 5 cups of coffee. It was basically discolored water! LOL Disgusting, but I have to have my coffee. Sadly, 9 months in and I can only manage 1 tablespoon of coffee grinds per 5 cups. We will not even discuss what happens when I drink a bottled or canned Coca Cola. HaHa Weirdest thing though is that I can drink a fountain Coke no problem. Huh. So, even though I can’t enjoy my coffee or a Coke anymore(😢) the payoff for quitting smoking is still so great that it is worth it! Hoping you don’t have the same issue as me. 

• Like 3

@Davevat1Welcome and Happy New Year!

Best decision you ever made.

Trust all of us on this-no matter how challenging it is at the beginning, it GOES AWAY. And then you actually start to feel good about yourself, about your life. Instead of fearful and guilty because: 1) you smoke; and 2) you don't want to smoke but are afraid you can't quit.

Every single one of us has been in that same space (right QTers?). If we can do it so can you.

Keep close and post often. Looking forward to learning some new vernacular. 

• Like 5

I drank two cups of coffee for as long as I could remember and after I quit smoking I went down to just one a day, not even trying. These days I'm lucky to drink one full cup. 

I also use to drink dr. Pepper everyday and after quitting and getting my taste buds back found it wasn't as good as I thought it was lol. I can't even remember the last time I had one!

• Like 3

Morning Dave ...

And welcome to your first day of Freedom 😁

One slogan that rang home to me and I shouted it along with NOPE....by the way go to our NOPE thread every morning ...it's a promise you won't smoke in the next 24 hours ...a powerful tool ...

My Slogan Take Smoking Off The Table No Matter What....

My junkie brain understood this ...I can do anything ..just don't smoke .🐸 

• Like 5

You can do it Dave!

It is scary, just take it one day at a time. Don't think any farther than that (sometimes it's one hour or one moment at a time).

Come here often and post or read or watch videos...this support group is AWESOME.

Education about this addiction is your new best friend and there is so much you can learn here. Stick around:)!

• Like 5