That Could Have Been Me.

Talked for a little while with a guy who started out as a professional acquaintance but has become a friend.  He is a mechanic and shop owner.  We send any company trucks that need repaired to him.  He's a good mechanic and a great guy.  He's also a smoker, a heavy smoker.

Every time he would take a drag off of his cigarette, he would cough and clear his throat.  Then he had a terrible coughing fit that went on for a while.  He was out of breath.  His face turned red.  His eyes watered-up from coughing so hard.  

I have noticed a change in his demeanor lately.  He seems tired all the time.  He doesn't laugh as much as he used to and when he does laugh it sets off a coughing spell.  The cigarettes are beginning to take a toll on him.  He has asked me about quitting before and I was more than happy to tell him about my experience.  Unfortunately, it never really took with him.  His "quits" would start in the morning and be over before noon.

It's a damn shame.  He could quit right now, but I seriously doubt he ever will.  He is beginning to feel the heavy burden of smoking and that load only gets heavier going forward.

I quit four years-ago.  Smoking is a distant memory and I am a bit complacent about my quit most days.  However, today was a reminder of how grateful I am to have quit smoking.

• Like 13

Your friend sounds like my sister with the coughing fits that turn her face beet red. I too don't think she'll ever quit but it doesn't stop me from mentioning quit train to her every chance I get in hopes that one day she'll give it a shot and see how doable quitting is.

• Like 5

Great reminder, boo!  When I encounter people huffing, puffing, coughing and such - I’m thankful to not be in that battle anymore. And now... w COVID and masks.  The thought of re-inhaling stale smokers breath makes me gag.  Glad to be free!! 

• Like 6

Anyone can quit, but my brother Jim never found his way.  So, we said goodbye to him 9 years ago.  He has missed his beautiful granddaughters growing up..the little one in his arms is 16, now...

77.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 8

It's good to reflect sometime and not get complacent

This last two years I've lost my two life long companions ......

I watched my friend beg for a cigerette hours before she slipped away ...

Hoping your friend Boo...takes on board what you told him ...and at least has him thinking ...this could be him too..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This is a great reminder and this could easily have been any of us. Like you, I am so grateful I quit and don't have to worry about this about my own health anymore. Such a shame though, I hope he will quit. Sadly, so many never do. 

• Like 6

This is my mom...she is so deep under the spell of addiction that she thinks all she has to do is smoke another one to make the coughing go away. 

I'm so glad I quit... I'm so glad all of you have quit also! Bunch of badasses on the Quittrain🎉

• Like 4