Up In Smoke

Hello all...I have most likely crashed and burned about as much as anyone here...I had been smoking since I was seventeen. Smoked all through my time in the military and even after I got out...Then about oh 10 years or so I found smokeless tobacco, boy was that a mistake! I have tried patches, gum etc and never made it more than 3 days...I have Chantix but I am afraid of it after all the research I have done..I dropped alcohol like a hot potatoe but nicotine is the worst...!!!! At this point I don't know what to do....Cold turkey is not an option I have tried that and it did not work.... 

• Like 5

Welcome,  Up In Smoke.

You may find this thread helpful

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

Do not write off cold turkey because you threw away a quit.

Each quit is different.

Resources

Know you CAN quit, we all quit and none of us are special snowflakes.

Once you make your decision, you will learn how to handle any challenges.

I recommend cold turkey.

But, there are no wrong ways to quit

and many here have used a wide variety of NRT's and built successful quits.

Make your decision, stick by it and live a Free life, you will never regret this.

S

• Like 6

Welcome up in smoke, we have a lot of members who have successfully quit with all those methods you tried. I quit cold turkey but I did have a three week long quit on chantix. It worked really good on the cravings. Where I messed up is not taking it for the recommended time which I believe is three months. I only took the first month and stopped because my insurance didn't cover it and almost instantly went back to smoking. So if you do decide to try it be sure to stay the course and you should be successful.

I think though for me that finding a support board with people who knew how and what I was going through was key to my success at quitting cold turkey. They were/are here for me from the day I found them and really just let me know and reassure me that I could keep my awesome quit. That's what we want to do for you too 😊

• Like 6

Welcome Up In Smoke.  Like you, I tried a number of different ways to try to quit smoking and had numerous relapses.

What finally helped me was joining a forum similar to this one, learning about nicotine addition, and reaching out for help from fellow forum members as well as supporting others.

Learning about nicotine addiction is key as it really helps you understand what you are fighting against and helps you be prepared for possible cravings.

There is a lot of support and information here.  Welcome to the site.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jillar said:

Welcome up in smoke, we have a lot of members who have successfully quit with all those methods you tried. I quit cold turkey but I did have a three week long quit on chantix. It worked really good on the cravings. Where I messed up is not taking it for the recommended time which I believe is three months. I only took the first month and stopped because my insurance didn't cover it and almost instantly went back to smoking. So if you do decide to try it be sure to stay the course and you should be successful.

I think though for me that finding a support board with people who knew how and what I was going through was key to my success at quitting cold turkey. They were/are here for me from the day I found them and really just let me know and reassure me that I could keep my awesome quit. That's what we want to do for you too 😊

Chantix is too dangerous it's not worth the risk in my book...

• Like 2

That's fine up in smoke, I prefer to rip the band aid off quickly so cold turkey was the way for me. Maybe all you need to be successful at a cold turkey quit is a forum like ours with a bunch of fellow quitters to help you keep your quit :) 

• Like 5

Welcome aboard ....

Have you read Alan Carr the Easy Way ....to stop smoking ....this great book has helped millions to quit ..

Alot of us included ....

There is only one way to stop smoking ...and that never light another one ...

Stick around here ....you will find lots of information to help you along ....

I Quit with the ...Threat of having your two feet amputated method ....this is definitely not recommended...Best Quit way before you get to that stage ...

Believe in yourself ...

• Like 5

Smoke or smokeless, you're a nicotine addict. Same as all of us here. Cravings for nicotine first thing in the morning and after a meal was normal for most of us and we successfully quit. 

You just have to practice self discipline just as if you were still in the military. This time instead of fighting for our freedom though you're fighting for your life. Don't give in to that big baby nicotine. Put your foot down and say enough is enough.

You can do it up in smoke, and we'll support you along the way. Thank you very much for your service 😊

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, jillar said:

Smoke or smokeless, you're a nicotine addict. Same as all of us here. Cravings for nicotine first thing in the morning and after a meal was normal for most of us and we successfully quit. 

You just have to practice self discipline just as if you were still in the military. This time instead of fighting for our freedom though you're fighting for your life. Don't give in to that big baby nicotine. Put your foot down and say enough is enough.

You can do it up in smoke, and we'll support you along the way.

Thank you very much for your service 😊

You're welcome.....

• Like 4

Welcome up in smoke,

I also quit cold turkey during my quarantine at home. You're a nicotine junkie like the rest of us. So, the big question is whether or not you want to still be enslaved to nicotine. If you decide to give up nicotine then that's when the real work begins to kick the habit. It's not an easy task but achievable none the less. This is something that you need to be 100% committed to or it will not work. We will support you the whole way. They're are great articles and videos to help you with the knowledge that you need to help with your quit. They're a vast amount of of people here in different stages of their quit. They will help you in any way. So, hop on the train and enjoy the ride to eliminate addiction.

• Like 5

Sorry...being a bit daft here but is smokeless tobacco that chewing stuff or vaping?...not that it really matters both are a nicotine addiction.

I was not a cold turkey quitter, I used nrt chewies (gum). If you do choose this method i suggest going in with an exit plan....while on the nrt you are still feeding the addiction so you need to be pretty strict with how you plan to cut down and stop the nrt. Set time frames and daily limits. We are all different but if you want to know shat worked for me im happy to share.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Sorry...being a bit daft here but is smokeless tobacco that chewing stuff or vaping?...not that it really matters both are a nicotine addiction.

I was not a cold turkey quitter, I used nrt chewies (gum). If you do choose this method i suggest going in with an exit plan....while on the nrt you are still feeding the addiction so you need to be pretty strict with how you plan to cut down and stop the nrt. Set time frames and daily limits. We are all different but if you want to know shat worked for me im happy to share.

Sorry...being a bit daft here but is smokeless tobacco that chewing stuff or vaping?

It's not vaping as your not actually inhaling anything..Its stuff that you put between your cheek and gum....@notsmokinjo what are nrt's?

I have set Monday as my quit date we will see how it goes....Just got to figure out how to get past that morning craving thats so strong.

Edited by Up In Smoke
Added something.
  • Like 4

NRT is Nicotine Replacement Therapy.

why wait and experience the added stress of anticipation ?

if you sincerely want to quit, QUIT NOW and be done with it.

Educate yourself about your nicotine addiction.

Remove all paraphernalia from your environment.

Reward yourself for every crave conquered every trigger faced down.

The Significance of Rewards

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Up In Smoke said:

....Just got to figure out how to get past that morning craving thats so strong.

I found the best way for me to get past the morning craving was to change up my routine. I forced myself to hop in the shower first thing and get moving! If weather was nice, I would take a walk around the neighborhood or walk the dog. 

I have progressed over the past 3 years to where I am now doing hiking!!! 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Sazerac said:

NRT is Nicotine Replacement Therapy.

why wait and experience the added stress of anticipation ?

Educate yourself about your nicotine addiction.

Remove all paraphernalia from your environment.

Reward yourself for every crave conquered every trigger faced down.

The Significance of Rewards

Challenge accepted..7/12/20 Today will be the day....So far so bad....Getting worse.

Edited by Up In Smoke
  • Like 6

This is great news !   Stay close to the board and SOS if you need us.

Think about what our friend Sirius says,

"The next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself, "

What price you are willing to pay to own yourself?" 

and continue your education.  All of Joel Spitzer Videos are informative and helpful.

here is one, just for you

Oral Tobacco Products and Addiction

• Like 4

In three days most of the nicotine will be out of your body forever

and you can concentrate

on adjusting your patterns away from the rituals of nicotine use.

you will succeed.  keep your focus.  reward yourself. and stay in touch with us, we ALL know what you are going through. 

Nicotine Addiction is a bitch but, one we can triumph over forever.

• Like 5

Good job Up in smoke,

Now the real work begins. The cravings are just the by product of your inner junkie looking for the nicotine it needs. The brain needs to constantly send mental memos to the body telling it that you're no longer going intake nicotine. This will be a struggle for a little while but it will get easier with time. Stick by the boards and educate yourself as much as you can. This will help you in your fight for freedom from the nicotine monster.

• Like 5

Don't set your self up for failure ...turn all negative thoughts into positive ones ...

Put your whole self in ....That old Hokey Cokey song ...being half hearted is no good ...

I'm sure your well aware of the dangers of chewing tobacco.....it's only a matter of time ...

Stick close ...come here kicking screaming ,complaining ....we heard it all....

Buckle up ...Take the daily pledge ..NOCE....Not one chew ever ....

Try reading Allen Carr the easy way to stop smoking ....this guy has helped millions kick the addiction ...

Many here too...just change the word smoke for chew...same principle....

Down load it for free..

You can do it ...

• Like 5

You are doing a great thing by quitting smoking, Up In Smoke.  The early struggles you may feel are worth it because things get a lot better with time.  Commit to NOPE (Not One Puff Ever), even if it is one day at a time, one hour at a time, etc.  Things to get much better.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

You don't need to use nrt cheque. You could just use normal stuff...um maybe that cinnamon stuff cos it has a bit of a bite to it. The action of chewing is still met without the nasty poisons and drugs.

Your talking about this:

https://hoochsnuff.com/Store#

Been considering the Cinnamon....Might not be a bad idea....

• Like 1