Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Poll: Cover or Original 5 July 2019

Cover v Original #2 7 members have voted

  1. 1. Who has the best whiskey in the jar?

    • The Dubliners
      28%
      2
    • Thin Lizzy
      57%
      4
    • Metallica
      0%
      0
    • The Greatful Dead
      0%
      0
    • Bryan Adams
      0%
      0
    • The Highway Men (just for Boo)
      14%
      1

This poll is closed to new votes

Poll closed on 07/12/19 at 03:12 AM

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Ok so this one was what first got me thinking of this, an old Irish folk song that has be covered by every man and his dog....so originally I was Gunna just go for the top 3, the ones everyone knows, but then I found all the others...so Bryan only got a lookin cos it was recorded in Melbourne, and I love my home town, but which version is best....

 

 

 

 

 

And just for @Boo:

 

Would you believe I even found an Elvis impersonator called The King doing a cover of this song...

Torn between Thin Lizzy's version and Metallica's version, I found both equally good. So, I can't vote.

I vote for the Elvis impersonator:27_sunglasses:,

he delivers 'whack for my daddy-o' with such feeling.  lol.

 

In listening to The Highwaymen, 

I wondered, 'who is singing? 

That voice is way too sweet for Cash, Waylon, Willie or Kris.

So, I did some digging and the video is a confusion.

This performance in the video is by the 1960's folk group, The Highwaymen,

not the Cash, Waylon, Willie or Kris'  Highwaymen.

  • Author
11 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

 

In listening to The Highwaymen, 

I wondered, 'who is singing? 

That voice is way too sweet for Cash, Waylon, Willie or Kris.

So, I did some digging and the video is a confusion.

This performance in the video is by the 1960's folk group, The Highwaymen,

not the Cash, Waylon, Willie or Kris'  Highwaymen.

 

Won't Boo be disappointed, I'm rubbing my fingers together playing the world's smallest violin for him. I know couldn't pick out cash or Willie but I would know the other twos voices if I fell over them so just figured it was one of them 

None of them have 'sweet' voices, lol.

Where is the Elvis impersonator ?

Is he from Tennessee ?

Thanks for the time you put into this, Jo.

You are a star, you are

and thanks for starting out all 50 states in the music thread.

We didn't get all but, we got a lot.

Tennessee was seriously represented, tee hee hee,

but, that Zappa cut was a gift, eh ?

 

Well whoever the Highway Men are for this selection that is the actual one I will go with, I like the first one also.  As to rock -- does not fit for me on this song.  Anyway this is really the first time (I can remember anyway) that I heard this song.  

  • Author

Now @Sazerac you know how I feel about monarchs....including musical ones...well naw the Duke is or-ite...but I will post him... I even left out The Seekers and they frickin Aussies, but their version is shiteful (imho)...

 

So my vote went for the Dubliners, bit of a traditionalist... And grandma would be up ours her grave kicking my arse if I deviated from tradition.

 

Here is fake Elvis. ...

 

I'll take 'The king' (take note of lower case),

that was just how El would have done it !

Whack for my daddy-o !

 

Thank you Jo.  

Second choice, The Dubliners for tradition.

 

I voted for Thin Lizzy.  It was the first version of the song I ever heard and you can never go wrong reminding people what a great band Thin Lizzy was.

 

5 hours ago, Sazerac said:

In listening to The Highwaymen, 

I wondered, 'who is singing? 

That voice is way too sweet for Cash, Waylon, Willie or Kris.

So, I did some digging and the video is a confusion.

This performance in the video is by the 1960's folk group, The Highwaymen,

not the Cash, Waylon, Willie or Kris'  Highwaymen.

 

One was a supergroup consisting of outlaw country legends.  The other was a folk band formed in Connecticut.

 

Fun game...can you guess which is which?

image.png.1e3457b38eb91bdd26602657daab14dd.pngimage.png.77794746bf79ed3fc8bac71f5350d372.png

@Boo,   not really a fair comparison.

Look at our Willie in 1965 looking a lot more like Bobby Darin then red headed stranger.

 

6 hours ago, Sazerac said:

In listening to The Highwaymen, 

I wondered, 'who is singing? 

That voice is way too sweet for Cash, Waylon, Willie or Kris.

So, I did some digging and the video is a confusion.

This performance in the video is by the 1960's folk group, The Highwaymen,

not the Cash, Waylon, Willie or Kris'  Highwaymen.

 

Thanks.  That highwaymen video confused me too.  It definitely didn't sound like what I was expecting.

 

My vote went to Thin Lizzy.

33 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

@Boo,   not really a fair comparison.

Look at our Willie in 1965 looking a lot more like Bobby Darin then red headed stranger.

 

 

In the early days, Willie was content to be a songwriter.  He was bashful and shy, always nervous about being in front of a crowd.  In fact he was so shy, he almost didn't meet with Patsy Cline to introduce the song "Crazy" to her.

 

I think it's safe to say Willie came out of his shell a bit over time.

2 hours ago, Boo said:

I think it's safe to say Willie came out of his shell a bit over time.

Wow, I can't believe that was Willie.  He is a spittin image of Bobby Darin

  • Author

I have a Johnny Cash song or two up me sleeve for future polls.

 

Thanks for letting me see Willie not old...that's just full on, you know his banter between the songs has a Bingish cadence, like he'd used it as a guide...just reminded me of Bowie and Bing's Chrissy carol patter. Really enjoyed that clip.

  • Author

And the win goes to one of the covers....well done Thin Lizzie...so if anyone is keeping track that's 1 all for originals and covers..... This week is a double vote... But next week I'm tipping another victory for the covers with what I have planned.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.