Quittrain Quit Buddies

jillar

Hi new members we're so glad you've decided to quit smoking. The first few months can be pretty hard for some of us and a great tool I used was getting a quit buddy. Or a few buddies. I found my best buddies quit in the same year as me so we were all in it together. All for one and one for all. But there is also a lot of longer quitters who would gladly  be a buddy.

It kept me accountable simply because I didn't want to be the one out of us who failed. I wanted to be a 2016 butt kicker!

So even if you're not comfortable posting to all of us, reach out to someone to help keep you accountable. It doesn't matter how many years or days quit they are. Take a second and pm them. You may just find your quit buddy :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

JB, i think you should change your password! looks like you got hacked ...Quit buddies are great, @ QSMB via the chat we even exchanged phone #'s... We're all playing the same game and fighting this addiction, support is why we all come to quitting forums

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Have to agree...a beautiful post...

We quitters of summer 2013...succeeded because we all were buddies ,watching each other's back...we even had a wedding..now  that's what I call buddies..

Quitting with a friend or friends can be loads  of fun....

We once had a guy who made his own sausages from Texas...I thought of eloping with him..but couldn't leave my Boo all alone...we are buddies....lol....

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Thanks  Jillar,  for the excellent post.

I will be happy to be a buddy.

With nearly five years quit, I  have experience, compassion and a healthy dose of tough love. 

Although I believe,  any way you quit is the right way to quit,

I only have my experience in a cold turkey quit and cannot advise on NRT's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I did the NRT gum thing to ease the start of my quit so happy to share my experiences with that if anyone needs. I had a long term quit that I threw away and waited over a decade to do it again so there is a different set of hurdles emotionally I have found that comes with that.

I found I just sort of fell into my buddy support group and it came from those much more established in their quits, those who had lost a long quit and now had a successful quit, those at the same stage as me and even those coming behind, it might seem odd that those coming behind you could be the ones holding you up and together if you need it but it happens.

So happy for anyone to reach out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

I found I just sort of fell into my buddy support group and it came from those much more established in their quits, those who had lost a long quit and now had a successful quit, those at the same stage as me and even those coming behind, it might seem odd that those coming behind you could be the ones holding you up and together if you need it but it happens.

Quitters in the early stages of the process are vital to a support group.  They're still right there in the thick of it.

I never want to appear glib or dismissive of anyone's struggles in their quit, but I've reached that point where not smoking is far more normal to me than smoking would be.  I remember the early challenges, but they are a distant memory now.

Good news is: every newbie on board with us, if they commit to the process, will eventually become as nonchalant about not smoking as the older veterans are now.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Boo said:

I've reached that point where not smoking is far more normal to me than smoking would be.  I remember the early challenges, but they are a distant memory now.

That's why the old phartes are are vital in a support group. Because that statement is a beacon on the horizon... it gets better, it becomes naught but a memory, not smoking becomes the norm... because you guys are our evidence and the testimony to that fact... sure in the early days, up until a point every time someone says it gets easier you think "yeah bullshit, I wish people would stop saying that"... but before you know it your the one saying it... so having people 1 year, of 2 years, or 5 or 10 or 16 years quit who tell us it gets better, and easier helps because they'd know... and then once you accept that yes its gunna get better then you get to the stage of "I want that" and it give you something to aim for. That's why a quit community like this needs to be a diverse society from every stage of the journey and you need a mix of the gentle, ego strokers and the tough love hard truth givers.

So.... thanks to all the old phartes who have their freedom and the new norm for hanging around to pay it forward and help out those of us coming behind.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So.... thanks to all the old phartes who have their freedom and the new norm for hanging around to pay it forward and help out those of us coming behind.

Thanks Jo..

As a old pharte ,I would add ,its watching and helping newbies through the bad times at the beginning of thier journey ,helps me...never to get too complacent ..

I am also one cig away from the thousands that will follow...

Sometimes a soft approach works well...and sometimes a good wack with the frying pan is the only way..to get the point over...

If you stick to NOPE ...you car,nt fail....

Some get there quicker than others ...some take the motorway route...some take the countryside route...

It doesn't matter...and when you reach your destination...its then you sit back and it does get easier..

I in turn would like to thank..the newbies...the middleuns.... And of course the old phartes ,who together ..make this train keep moving ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

That's why the old phartes are are vital in a support group. Because that statement is a beacon on the horizon... it gets better, it becomes naught but a memory, not smoking becomes the norm... because you guys are our evidence and the testimony to that fact... sure in the early days, up until a point every time someone says it gets easier you think "yeah bullshit, I wish people would stop saying that"... but before you know it your the one saying it... so having people 1 year, of 2 years, or 5 or 10 or 16 years quit who tell us it gets better, and easier helps because they'd know... and then once you accept that yes its gunna get better then you get to the stage of "I want that" and it give you something to aim for. That's why a quit community like this needs to be a diverse society from every stage of the journey and you need a mix of the gentle, ego strokers and the tough love hard truth givers.

So.... thanks to all the old phartes who have their freedom and the new norm for hanging around to pay it forward and help out those of us coming behind.

The young 'uns remind of us of why we came here in the first place while the old phartes provide a steady hand on the wheel.  

We've got a symbiotic thing going on here.

• Like 6

• 2 years later...