Everything posted by PixelSketch
-
The One Year Commitment
While stuffing my face with tangerine after tangerine, and cursing out my Hell Week, I lurked here. And read. Post after post. Topic after topic. And it kept me sane. And it kept me from putting things in my mouth and setting them on fire. And it showed me that quitting was possible. That life after smoking could be really, really good. And that gave me hope, motivated me and kept me going, hour after hour. And so, about two and a half weeks into my quit, I jumped aboard. And, aside from my initial decision to quit, joining this forum is the best decision I've made. No one can do this for you - you have to want it for yourself - but they can sure make that journey better and so much easier. Quitting doesn't seem so frightening to me anymore. I'm actually enjoying it. Though I have people who support me offline, it's not quite the same. Here, you'll always be supported, and understood and welcomed by a great community of people who really know exactly what you're going through, or have been through or will go through. I haven't been here long, and yet, I feel I'm right where I should be. (And I really, really like you guys. :wub: ) So, you're now stuck with me! I pledge at least a year. I'm here to be supported, and to offer my support wherever it's needed. Let's do this thing! :)
-
Smoking-related tooth loss is pretty common, but...
...today at my dentist appointment, I learned that I'm growing NEW teeth instead. FML. (Posting this here, figured it fit as I consider taking care of my teeth part of healthy living, and growing new teeth isn't really directly tied to quitting smoking ;0 ) I went in for a small cavity, and mentioned that my back teeth felt a bit odd now and then lately. Not painful, just...odd. An exam and a few x-rays later, and yes, at the lovely age of 43, more than 20 years after having my upper wisdom teeth removed, my lower wisdom teeth are finally growing in! One's already broken through the gums. I'm teething guys!! :blink: And they're growing in such a way as to need removal sooner rather than later. So, I have some appointments with a specialist coming up and sometime in the next few weeks, dental surgery. I'm glad I don't smoke anymore - I'm sure it will be so much easier to heal from this and I won't have to worry about dry socket as much. Whew. Still not looking forward to this though. Ugh. And it's kind of funny that wisdom teeth are book-ending my smoking "career". I had the first set removed just before I started smoking. And I will have this set removed just after I stopped. Huh. :crazy:
-
My sad smoking friend..has done it again...
^^^So much this. I didn't realize that my normal, wasn't actually normal. It was "smoker's normal". Real normal (normal, normal LOL) feels so much better. There is actually a real, noticeable difference.
-
I'm healing and falling apart all at once!
Oh yeah! That. I felt like my head was going to just float away... LOL I found that it was super intense the first week, and since then, it happens a bit now and again, but it's not that noticeable really. The first week, I also got really forgetful, clumsy and....well, there's no other way to say this...stupid! My brain was on holiday. I would be having a conversation with someone, and totally lose my train of thought half way though the sentence. And I would not be able to find it again. I couldn't reason my way out of a paper bag. :lol: Do you still get the lightheaded feeling once in a while, or is it mostly gone by now?
- chicks or sticks
-
Dealing with Addiction
And that's what it's about in the end. Just you. But, that you're able to see it for what it is and learn from others and pass on the knowledge, it helps all around. It helps you, and gives courage and inspiration to those around you who are ready too, but may not know how exactly to do it. It's why this type of forum works so well. I agree - you need to be ready and your reasons for quitting need to really matter to you as well, I think. If they matter enough, and you want it badly enough, you'll tolerate whatever you have to go through in order to get what you want. If you're half-a$$ing it, well, you'll probably relapse. I've had that before too. I've said I'm quitting, but deep down, I wanted to both quit and smoke and I knew I would fail. This time, I was sure and I had my "why" - my reason for wanting this quit. I use that same idea to get through brutal workouts sometimes - if I have my "why" for getting in shape, I can tolerate any "how". Because it's worth it to me. And I try to frame quitting smoking in the same way. What's my "why"? Why does it matter to me? How much does it matter?
-
chicks or sticks
Ooops! That new chicken is a turkey! :pardon: So... -5
- chicks or sticks
- chicks or sticks
-
chicks or sticks
Haha! Oh, we're coming for you... https://media2.giphy.com/media/3Gxe9ZeycLfQA/giphy.gif (And I apologize, I cannot get this to copy directly. Always a link. UGH)
- chicks or sticks
-
Big Daddy
I just got to this thread. Nicely done Boo!! :D :yahoo:
-
chicks or sticks
-2 ...let's go get 'em chicks! :gamer1:
-
Juice fast?
I've never done any juice fasts. Wouldn't that be a lot of sugar though? I say, eat balanced and healthy food, have a treat now and then, eat a bit less, move a bit more, and you'll be just fine. Mr. P and I overhauled our diet a few years ago to help support a new weights/cardio workout mix that we were doing, and at the same time, wanted to eat less processed food and get more nutrients into our diet. Since it also had to be something sustainable, and couldn't feel like a diet, we added a lot of vegetables, switched to whole grain/whole wheat/brown pasta/bread/rice, lean meat, healthy fats, nuts, grains, steel cut oats etc. And also desserts and treats now and then etc - you have to live a bit too. :) It's filling food, and you tend not to overeat. Portions aren't crazy big or small. 3 meals plus snacks (handful of nuts, greek yogurt, apple with peanut butter etc) You're always full, it doesn't feel like a diet and you're eating stuff you like. If you want chocolate, you have a bit and you're satisfied. I feel better, I've lost weight (calories in vs. calories out matter too) I have more energy, it's easier to get through my workouts and I don't feel like I'm on a diet. Keep well hydrated -water, herbal tea. Everyone's different, but for us, this is working. It's been four years, and we're still eating this way, and it's easy. And if you want to keep track of calories / exercise / meals and recipes etc etc myfitnesspal is a great, great site.
-
Thinking
Yeah, I find weather to be a trigger too. We had a rain storm the other day. I work in a creative field, and one part of my work is photography. I often photograph stormy scenes for a few on-going client projects, so I grabbed my camera and headed out the door. But kept thinking I forgot something. Well, I'm used to grabbing my camera and my smokes. So, the storm and the camera made me want a smoke. I said no out loud and went to shoot. Once I got busy it was ok. I think we need to be aware those triggers will come, but once you're out a few times in those triggering situations and don't smoke, it should start to get better. I think the mind will get used to the fact that you no longer have to smoke when x or y is happening or when the sun is shining a certain way or, in my case, when stormy weather comes and I head out to shoot. The brain just needs to form a few new pathways, I think.
-
I forgot to think about smoking! Yay!
Excellent! You're on your way. :) Funny how a few short weeks ago I couldn't picture "life without smoking"! And now, I'm starting to see that not only is it possible, it's really really good! Keeping on guard and enjoying the hell out of it too. :) Now I just want everyone to feel like this too! :)
- I forgot to think about smoking! Yay!
-
Dealing with Addiction
I'm sorry about your sister R. It's so tough. Same for one of my uncles - alcohol + smoking. And he would quit, go to AA, then go on vacation and start it all up again and in the end it got him. You can't fix it for somebody else - you can support them, but they need to do the heavy lifting for themselves and they have to want to do that.
-
Wednesday 12 th April 2017
NOPE! I just got back from the dentist (teeny tiny cavity ugh), and told him I quit smoking. He did an exam, some x-rays and told me I have the teeth/mouth of a non-smoker. He says you can usually tell when someone smoked, yet there are no signs on my teeth. So...extra motivation to NOPE. If the teeth are good, and I got lucky with that, no reason to take any more chances now. NOPE NOPE NOPE!!
-
Sever insomnia HELP!
Yeah, I had the same thing. The last week, it's gone back to normal, but now I've had some late nights because of a project deadline, so I'm still not sleeping! But the insomnia was a bit of an issue for the first two - two and a half weeks or so. I figure it's part of your body adjusting back to normal. I cut down on caffeine, and if I couldn't sleep, I would get up and read for a bit, until I got sleepy again. I didn't take anything for it, and it did eventually go back to normal. But it is frustrating. Someone else may have a better way to get through it. But I can tell you that you will get through it and this is only temporary. Hang in there - you're doing really great! :)
-
I´m back
Awww...cute. Two of ours are black cats, and one is white and grey tabby spotted. I grew up with dogs, then birds and now cats. With the work schedule, cats were easier. Don't need to walk them. :) But I do miss having a dog. One day.
- chicks or sticks
-
chicks or sticks
Oops. Hang on. Somehow I wasn't looking at the very last reply. Let me get my bearings! LOL
- chicks or sticks
-
Tuesday 11 th April 2017
NOPE. Not today!