I'm healing and falling apart all at once!

I'm on Day 19 smoke and nicotine free. Mentally, I feel so so good. Physically, I feel both good and awful.

I can breathe deeply, I can laugh whole heartedly without coughing, I have a ton of energy, my skin is looking better, my eyes are clearer, my teeth are whiter. I can smell things again. Of all things, my nails are really shiny. What? And it goes on.

At the same time, in the last almost 3 weeks, I've had a bladder infection, a cavity, bronchitis, sinusitis, a flare up of my TMJ/TMD (jaw joint issues) from too much gum chewing (not nicotine gum, just normal gum), and it just feels like it's been a merry-go-round of antibiotics, and doctor and dentist visits. I rarely get sick and now, it's everything all at once. I'm taking care of it all with the appropriate doctors etc. as it comes up, but it's annoying.

It's like my body was holding it together until I quit smoking and now it's just letting all the problems, all the cats out of the bag, as it were. I'm falling apart. Yet, I also feel really healthy. It's really confusing.

Have you guys experienced anything like that?

• Like 1

Pixel, the healing process often feels like the falling apart process.  Your body (and mind) are adjusting to a new normal.  I would suggest that maybe not all of those things are related to quitting...but I'm sure some are.  Remember, this is not caused because you quit, but because you smoked!

671ac5ad38b6da1d7f64dce28a5f85b9.jpg

• Like 3

Umm..... yes, I have had some of that stuff and I'm pretty sure it's related to the quit. I had horrible bronchitis when I quit. Matter of fact; that's probably the single thing that pushed me over the quitting brink. Later on I developed a brutal sinus infection. I have also had very abnormal sleep patterns and wake up at night with a feeling like my mouth and throat is full of sand. Run to the bathroom for a drink of water then try to sleep again, assuming I can breath with the sinus thing - lol.

With all this stuff going on, I'm still thrilled that I don't smoke any longer. I'm pretty sure this will all settle down at some point. I'm willing to put up with some discomfort for a longer, healthier life!

• Like 3

When we quit..we expect our bodies to be ..hey look at me all heathly now !!!

Nooo..it has been fed poison for years..its very confused right now...

All will settle down..keep saying it's temporary ..all of it...your body just has to catch up with your quit brain.

Soon you will be feeling much better...

• Like 3

Hey Pixel

Same here.  I quit smoking and it's been one sinus issue after another.  My digestive system went on holiday. I get moments of being very light headed.  

It's been a party. 

I am astounded at all the different ways nicotine affects the body.  All these side effects, no known benefit and it is 100% LEGAL.

Shaking my head 

• Like 2

Got my first cold in four years this week. Quit smoking and quit the all winter runny nose and cough.

It gets better. Much better. Takes long time to clear out some of smoking chemicals and readjust to normal.

• Like 3

Sorry Pixel you are feeling so terrible.  I believe some is simply coincidence. I have heard people say they feel like they have a cold or coughing in the first few weeks. But if it is an infection that is not from quitting. I have sinus problems regularly when I smoked or didn't for me they are chronic. Once it all settles down I am sure you will feel great for quitting. Hang in there.

• Like 2

Thanks guys!  :wub:  That helps.

I guess I'm so excited about finally quitting, I just expect to feel completely awesome immediately. LOL But, I agree, after putting poison into my body for 20 years, it will take some time for everything to adjust. And I'm sure some of it is unrelated, but it just feels like it is when it hits you all at once right after the quit. Gaah! It's just frustrating. I'm usually 'Go, Go, GO!' so I'm feeling a bit hemmed in. And I'm a lousy impatient patient. :P Hanging in. Tea, lemon, honey, repeat. Waiting for the really good part once I'm through this.  :good3:

• Like 5

I'm on Day 19 smoke and nicotine free. Mentally, I feel so so good. Physically, I feel both good and awful.

I can breathe deeply, I can laugh whole heartedly without coughing, I have a ton of energy, my skin is looking better, my eyes are clearer, my teeth are whiter. I can smell things again. Of all things, my nails are really shiny. What? And it goes on.

At the same time, in the last almost 3 weeks, I've had a bladder infection, a cavity, bronchitis, sinusitis, a flare up of my TMJ/TMD (jaw joint issues) from too much gum chewing (not nicotine gum, just normal gum), and it just feels like it's been a merry-go-round of antibiotics, and doctor and dentist visits. I rarely get sick and now, it's everything all at once. I'm taking care of it all with the appropriate doctors etc. as it comes up, but it's annoying.

It's like my body was holding it together until I quit smoking and now it's just letting all the problems, all the cats out of the bag, as it were. I'm falling apart. Yet, I also feel really healthy. It's really confusing.

Have you guys experienced anything like that?

You would have experienced most this if you were still smoking.  It can seem like there's a correlation between quitting and and the other issues, but nicotine isn't going to keep a lid on any of that.  Other things perhaps.  Here's a great video to help as you're not the only one who has had to deal with this.  You're fine, enjoy being healthy!  :)

Getting Colds And Flus After Quitting

Video explains why when people get colds or flus shortly after quitting they often seem worse than similar infections experienced when smoking. Also explains why urges for cigarettes may intensify during the recovery process of the infection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5WsGA5XnYY

• Like 1

What bothered me more was the lightheaded feeling, that lasted for several months on and off during normal movements like getting up or tying your shoes. Lots of new oxygen getting into the brain. Quitting smoking for the first 5 months was gangsta.

• Like 2

What bothered me more was the lightheaded feeling, that lasted for several months on and off during normal movements like getting up or tying your shoes. Lots of new oxygen getting into the brain. Quitting smoking for the first 5 months was gangsta.

Oh yeah! That. I felt like my head was going to just float away... LOL I found that it was super intense the first week, and since then, it happens a bit now and again, but it's not that noticeable really. The first week, I also got really forgetful, clumsy and....well, there's no other way to say this...stupid! My brain was on holiday. I would be having a conversation with someone, and totally lose my train of thought half way though the sentence. And I would not be able to find it again. I couldn't reason my way out of a paper bag.  :lol:

Do you still get the lightheaded feeling once in a while, or is it mostly gone by now?

• Like 1

Do you still get the lightheaded feeling once in a while, or is it mostly gone by now?

Its gone. Everything bad about smoking or quitting is gone.  ;) Funny, i was climbing walls for so long and now...its almost as if i never smoking, no stress at all.

• Like 3