Big Daddy

Boo

Hey Boo, what did you do on Saturday morning?  Well...nobody asked, but I'm going to tell you anyway.  I ran the Big Daddy Loop on Lookout Mountain in just a shade under three-hours.  Ten miles...from Craven's House to the Guild Trail then down to Skyuka Springs and back up to the bluff.

There are people who can run longer than me and a whole bunch of people who run faster than me.  The thing is: this was a major accomplishment for me.  Back when I was smoking, I wouldn't have even considered trying to run up and down a mountain.  When you break down one barrier, the others start to fall more easily.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to pat myself on the back some more.

• Like 7

Great Boo. I noticed my stamina increased a lot too, i no longer get tired of climbing the woods with my dog.

The body's ability to recuperate and heal after years of abuse is pretty remarkable.

My grandma runs that trail too.

With a grandson like you, it's easy to understand why she would run into the woods.

• Like 4

Since I didn,t ask last week..my bad...

What are you planning this week..????.....I can do that...!!!!!....

I'm in wait-and-see mode right now concerning weekend plans.  I tweaked my lower back deadlifting on Tuesday.  Nothing serious, but I've been moving a little slower the last couple of days.  

We've had some heavy rains roll through and a storm is coming in tonight.  So...if the back is feeling better and the creeks are up, we'll be breaking out the canoes this weekend.

• Like 1

Aww boo baby..sorry to hear your in pain...mmmm...maybe that massage ..I will be gentle..

Don't over do things my friend...I know you have all this energy..maybe find something a bit more gentle..till your back on form..canoing sounds hard on the back..or you could sit on my knee for a change..and I will use the paddle thingies..x

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sunday morning I took advantage of the weather (mild temps and low humidity) and ran the Big Daddy loop again.  Got my time down to 2 hours and 14 minutes.  I was on pace to break the two-hour mark.  Then I made the turn at Skyuka and started the two-mile ascent back up to the bluff.  That section kicked my ass...It's a thin line between an explanation and an excuse.

I shouldn't brag, but I'm just so damn proud of myself.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ran to Coker Creek Falls on Saturday morning and did the Ocoee River Loop trail this morning for a total of 18.8 trail miles this weekend.

The weird thing is: even after quitting smoking and taking up a new health regimen, I had no intentions of becoming a runner.  My initial focus was on strength training alone.  I was convinced that I hated distance running; dead set against it even.  Now I start feeling the itch if I go a couple of days without getting in any trail time.  I need to run!

I guess if you're going to trade one addiction for another, upgrading from smoking cigarettes to trail running is a good way to go.

• Like 1

It's Amazing the person we find we are ..once the addiction of nicotine has gone..we surprise ourselves...

The surprises just keep coming.  You make one simple change in your life and things just snowball from there.

It's been a helluva ride so far.  Who knows what the next 16 months has in store.

• Like 1