Please say it’ll get better..

ArynnBailey

Sorry for long post! 

Hello! I’m here and I need help everyone. I’m 24 years old and I picked up smoking when I was 16. I turned into almost a pack a day smoker. I used smoking as a crutch for almost EVERYTHING I found out. 

Ive been chronically ill and have a gamete if health problems. I’ve been sick for almost 5 years now. On my bad days and my really painful sick days I’d smoke like a chimney and it’s calm me down. Since being sick I’ve been off work and have had money issues. I was forced to quit and I was angry and bitter! My dad passed away this Past May and he was my rock and everything. He quit smoking right before I was born, cold turkey! And I thought.. I think I owe him this much. So here I am, quitting cold turkey.

Now im losing my mind. I am 90 hours smoke free and the first few days were hard but bearable. I thought hell- I can do this! Oh my. Oh my- no.

i have the worst head aches, nausea, throwing up, dizziness, extreme loss of appetite, light sensitivity, dry and burning throat. I keep coughing and coughing which makes me feel more nauseas. My whole body hurts and I feel like I’m made of glass. I’m so moody too, I feel like a child having a tantrum sometimes. 

I was on Percocet for pain for 2 years and the withdrawals weren’t as bad as quitting smoking. 

If i smoke one cigarette it’ll all go away!  And my friends and people keep saying it isn’t that bad and that I shouldn’t be this sick. Guys I’m losing my mind and I feel horrid, please help. 

• Like 1

Our bodies are thrown into chaos....its been used to being fed poisions 20 or times a day...

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad...it's still very early...make sure you look after you...sleep,eat ,drink fruit juice...

I smoked 52 years...now can you imagine my poor body...it went berserk....

Please read all you can here...it will keep you busy ...and learn a lot...

I'm sorry for your loss...you are still grieving...please seek your doctor's advice ,if your symptoms persist...just to get your self checked out...x

• Like 2

Some of those are side effects of quitting smoking. What you describe though sounds extreme.

You are probably going to have to see a doctor about this though. Five years seems a while to be sick.

Has your illness hurt worse since quitting?

About the first three days quit - supposedly those are the hardest but I imagine that is wishful thinking of a lot of brand new quitters. My worst days didn't come til a couple weeks into it.

I understand about losing a parent or loved one. That grief can go on for months.

So what you can do for now to address the smoking issue - first, do not have any smokes handy and try to get rid of other temptations like having ash trays around. Try to remember that buying them is NOT going to help your money problems. Plus, even if smoking would temporarily mask whatever pain you have, eventually you would have to "pay the piper" for smoking. There are a few here who have experienced that. Like the doctor telling them, "Quit or die".

• Like 3

hi Arynn,

I am sorry for the loss of your father, he would be very proud of you quitting but don`t just do it for him do it for YOU, you derserve to be healthy and feel better, your body will feel out of whack for a while with symptoms you are not used to, the best thing in these early days are fresh air, moving however much you can, drinking plenty of water, juices, cut down on caffeine (without nicotine caffeine is doubled in strength for you now), breathing take slow deep breaths, long showers or baths and treat yourself to something nice.

What you are going through at the moment is temporary 

just keep going through the fog and you will feel better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes quitting is not pleasant for most of us Arynn, particularly in the early days. It's not just the physical addiction to nicotine but also the mental part of the addiction. As you say, you used smoking yourself as a support for so many other issues in your life that were difficult. In reality, smoking does nothing to help any problems we have it just adds to our problems. Smoking is an addiction and the only thing smoking a cigarette does is feeds that addiction. You feel good once it's fed but only temporarily until your body craves nicotine again in an hour or so. Learn to separate smoking and any problems you might have. Smoking will do nothing to fix any of those.

Please read all you can here about this addiction. Education is an important tool in fighting this addiction. Have a look at all the "pinned" posts on the Quit Smoking Discussion Page. They are all there at the top of the page with a green pin to the left of each post.

Please also keep yourself well hydrated. Drink lots of water and fruit juice in the early days. I can tell you that no one has ever died from quitting smoking, as unpleasant as it might be. I can't say the same for those who choose to continue smoking! The unpleasant part of quitting will not last forever and when you do get through the tough part, you will be so much better off and will have one LESS problem in your life to deal with. Stick around here and let us help you through this :)

• Like 2

The videos were really helpful for me, Arynn. They educate you about addiction and keep your mind  occupied during the more vulnerable early days of your quit.  

No matter what your diagnosis turns out to be, you’ll have a far better chance of getting better if you’re not a smoker. If you’re nervous about what you’re feeling, speak to a doctor if you think that might alleviate your fear. No matter what, just don’t smoke. It’s not going to make anything better; it only makes things worse.  It’s hard to think clearly when you’re feeling terrible and your addicted mind will try to pull you back into the trap. Don’t fall into that trap. 

• Like 1

Hi 

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad . My dad quit smoking too actually in my senior high school year . He passed of emphysema and HF . 

I would like to congratulate you for quitting . Your dad will be happy for you. Draw upon his strength . You can do this .  You are not walking alone.  You have found this great site to walk with you too . The support and info here will help you so much . Lots of things to do here as well to help you get through the rough times ..

Yes it gets much easier .  All you need to look after is today ok . Dont worry about tomorrow or what yesterday was .. just keep quit for today . 

There is always someone here .. so yes please post any time .  I posted tons in the beginning to help me through . I cried buckets . How in the heck can one cry so much  ? Well , I think they are called healing tears and I had a lot of healing to do . I like you smoked all the time and especially  smoked to stuff down emotions . 

I too have struggled with many health issues and that's why I quit smoking . I was also so very sick . I decided I had no choice but to take smoking off the table...  

Just after I  quit ,  I got my diagnosis but I had no choice left that's how bad my health was .  I couldn't find another excuse to smoke .... every breath I took was effort . I wish I had quit at 23 because once I got a taste of how good it was to be smoke free I wished I had quit years before. I love being smoke free .  I am very proud of you because have made such a great decision  early in your life  and I'm excited for you because being smoke free is going to give you opportunity and open doors . 

You can do this .  You really can .

I hope the drs will soon get to your diagnosis . I know that is frustrating and difficult but hang in there . 

The best thing you can do is quit smoking .

Don't smoke ok , because every time you do it wakes up those cravings . You have to starve cravings  :) if you don't feed them they learn to go away .  Be patient with yourself . Even though you don't feel great about it you are doing great .  Your confidence will  grow . Hang in there. 

Just some ideas for you

Distract , delay , share your feelings , drink lots of fluids , cinnamon helps with cravings as do oranges .  Write or journal if that helps .and congratulate yourself often . 

Lots of times instead of it actually being a crave for a cig ask yourself if you are hungry angry , lonely  or tired because maybe just a nap will help , or an orange , or phoning a friend or coming here may be just what you need to get through . 

Read read read as was already mentioned .

You can do this .  

Edited by Abby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry you are having such a rough time and you are way to young to be chronically sick you didn't specify what you suffer from. Are you illness heredity? Maybe you can find a support group for your illness sometimes just knowing their are other people who suffer the same disease helps. This is a good place to chat and come for support keep NOT smoking it will get better.

• Like 1

Hello Arynn.....  I hope you are still protecting your quit.  Post often and in between watch Joel's video's....   I lost my quit, but I've made myself get right back up here and face my nicodemons again.     I know what chronic ill health is like.  I've had fibromyalgia for years....   it's tough living with a long term illness, but smoking makes it worse.

I sincerely hope you feel able to come in again to share how you feel, and how you are managing to get through this.    Keep on keepin' on chick...   J

• Like 1