The Ripple Effect

Boo

Quitting smoking...it's what every smoker desires.  We've already established that the act of quitting is dead simple.  You simply refrain from putting cigarettes in your mouth and lighting them on fire.  And repeat.

The benefits of quitting are many: freedom, improved health, more money in your pocket, etc.  The benefits do not end there.  In fact, the benefits only begin there.  The process, while simple, is a bold action; a step in the right direction.  You commit to leave the rut of comfort behind to begin a journey of self improvement.  The process can strip you bare emotionally.  It sounds harsh, but has a real upside.  The process will force you to deal with things that have been swept under the rug.  You will have to remove your head from the sand and face the truth.  The process will force you to confront the bullstuff that you have tried to pass off as gospel truth.  The truth will set you free, but it will make you uncomfortable for a while.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.  Addiction is a link in a chain, a chain of self-destructive behavior and self-defeating thoughts.  You break that link and the chain that holds you back weakens.  Hold on, that's when life starts to get interesting.  Potential becomes reality.  Confidence begets confidence.  Strength begets strength.  The process, one that begins with a singular purpose and commitment, sets off a series of ripples that will eventually impact every facet of your life.

If you sit back and meekly accept that you are a hopeless addict, what else will you simply accept in life?  If you decide you deserve better and boldly commit to the process, what other bold actions to improve your lot in life will you take on?

Trust the process.  Embrace the challenge.  Enjoy the ride.

• Like 11

This is a fabulous post.. a great read...as I was reading my thoughts were saying...

This was written from a guy who... 1 yr 4 months ago.was smoking I think 3 pkts a day....

How wonderful is that..I have happy tears for you.and I'm so proud for you...this .......

Is why I stay around...

The Quit train will and does take you to freedom...all you need desire to be there...

• Like 4

This is a very important message for new quitters or people who are just lurking and thinking about quitting and, it's true! This is not something that you even think about when you first quit. It's probably never been a reason that someone has quit but, it's probably one of the most important benefits to quitting smoking and one that is not realized by many early on in their quit. A good reason to hang in there through the early part of your quit so you too can enjoy these many benefits of being a non smoker.

• Like 3

This is a fabulous post.. a great read...as I was reading my thoughts were saying...

This was written from a guy who... 1 yr 4 months ago.was smoking I think 3 pkts a day....

How wonderful is that..I have happy tears for you.and I'm so proud for you...this .......

Is why I stay around...

The Quit train will and does take you to freedom...all you need desire to be there...

Thanks Doreen.  Quitting smoking has been one of the best and most impactful decisions in my life.  And that's a big part of the reason I stick around...get the word out to newbies and those on the fence to take the plunge and never look back.  Those of us who bought the ticket and took the ride have never regretted it.

Fantastic post, Boo!!! Inspirational and best of all...100% true!

Thanks PT.  Just the facts, nothing but the facts.

This is a very important message for new quitters or people who are just lurking and thinking about quitting and, it's true! This is not something that you even think about when you first quit. It's probably never been a reason that someone has quit but, it's probably one of the most important benefits to quitting smoking and one that is not realized by many early on in their quit. A good reason to hang in there through the early part of you quit so you too can enjoy these many benefits of being a non smoker.

Absolutely.  When I see a newbie struggling, I hope they get some idea of what's waiting ahead for them if they stay the course.  The fact that one change for the better can become ubiquitous in reach is quite the motivator.  A few bumps in the road should not put you off a journey to the promised land.

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

I was ruminating earlier today, at least that's what I call it when take a brief break to just stare off into space for a little bit.  Got to thinking how eventful the last three years have been.  Things have been happening fast and the next year is looking to hold some big changes personally and professionally.

Not coincidentally, three years ago is when I decided to quit smoking.  There were a few factors at play when I decided to start making some major changes in my life.  However, quitting smoking was the catalyst for change that set off a chain of events that transformed every facet of my life.

Anyhow...I was going to write a post about how the process of quitting can set off a ripple effect in your life.  Then I remembered that I already wrote a post like that.

On 7/20/2017 at 5:30 AM, Boo said:

Quitting smoking...it's what every smoker desires.  We've already established that the act of quitting is dead simple.  You simply refrain from putting cigarettes in your mouth and lighting them on fire.  And repeat.

The benefits of quitting are many: freedom, improved health, more money in your pocket, etc.  The benefits do not end there.  In fact, the benefits only begin there.  The process, while simple, is a bold action; a step in the right direction.  You commit to leave the rut of comfort behind to begin a journey of self improvement.  The process can strip you bare emotionally.  It sounds harsh, but has a real upside.  The process will force you to deal with things that have been swept under the rug.  You will have to remove your head from the sand and face the truth.  The process will force you to confront the bullstuff that you have tried to pass off as gospel truth.  The truth will set you free, but it will make you uncomfortable for a while.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.  Addiction is a link in a chain, a chain of self-destructive behavior and self-defeating thoughts.  You break that link and the chain that holds you back weakens.  Hold on, that's when life starts to get interesting.  Potential becomes reality.  Confidence begets confidence.  Strength begets strength.  The process, one that begins with a singular purpose and commitment, sets off a series of ripples that will eventually impact every facet of your life.

If you sit back and meekly accept that you are a hopeless addict, what else will you simply accept in life?  If you decide you deserve better and boldly commit to the process, what other bold actions to improve your lot in life will you take on?

Trust the process.  Embrace the challenge.  Enjoy the ride.

• Like 5

This was a great inspirational post back when you wrote it ....and reading it again today buddy ....

It's still a great inspirational post now ....

I have had the  best time ...watching you grow day by day ....and your such a massive support to all that ride the train ...

Whatever direction your life takes you in the future ...I wish you every success and happiness...

And hope to still be hanging around in it somewhere ....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boo said:

However, quitting smoking was the catalyst for change that set off a chain of events that transformed every facet of my life.

I am so happy for you and may the benefits of quitting smoking continue, Boo.

Quitting smoking was the catalyst for change that set off a chain of events that transformed me, too.

Well, not Every facet of my life...

Quitting smoking didn't transform my marital status for which I am ever gratefully single.  lol.

But, the changes have been quantum none-the-less

and the thing is now, I know how to change.

I have the skills to identify where change is needed and the skills to facilitate change,  

I also gained the trust in myself and self-confidence to meet these challenges.

I love seeing this in other quitters, too.

It is remarkable to witness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Just finished reading a great post by Kate18: "Since I can quit smoking...what else can I do?"  I always enjoy a post about the many unforeseen benefits of quitting smoking.  Figured now was as good a time as any to fire up the Wayback Machine and give an old thread a friendly bump.

• Like 2