Some suggestions for evening triggers and getting to bed earlier?

Cherylco

Hello,

After several years smoke-free, I started up again while visiting smoking relatives for the holidays. I quickly moved back up to a pack plus per day.

I just got a prescription for Chantix and set a quit day for this Saturday. I've been monitoring my triggers, and I noticed that I smoke most of my cigarettes after 5pm. (I'm retired so I can have a smoke whenever I want, although always outside.)

I normally go to bed around midnight. I need to get to bed earlier, at least for now! But that won't help if I'm not tired. Have any of you used anything homeopathic or OTC to help you sleep earlier? Any suggestions on this or other matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Cheryl..

So good to see you here..

I'm retired too...but was still working at the start of my quit..

My sleep was messed up for a while..but those that has gone before me ,kept saying it would be temporary...

I didn't use any of the above you mentioned..I read alot..did some deep breathing..relaxing music..soak in the bath

There is plenty to read here..till your eyes drop..

Excersises..tired my self out..

Looking forward to you taking your seat..

• Like 1

Hi Cheryl,

Glad you are here!  Congrats on your decision to quit :)  It's never too late or too many attempts!

I rely heavily on herbal tea, something such as Celeste Sleepy Time tea...really helps calm everything down a bit. 

Also, Melatonin is a godsend if you need the extra push.  It's a vitamin and does not make you feel groggy or anything in the morning.

• Like 3

I guess exercise can only help you sleep better and earlier. 1h of daily walking is what i did to aid my progress on the first 5 months. I used to make 5km daily, made 600km last year alone just to quit smoking. Exercise will definitely help with your situation.

• Like 2

Welcome, Cherylco.  I also quit using Chantix.  Instead of trying to go to bed earlier, why not try to think of activities to keep you occupied?  If you are not tired, I am afraid you will just lay there and think of smoking.

We are so glad you have joined us!

• Like 2

Welcome it is great that you found this site. It has helped me to come and read and browse to supplement smoking breaks.

I am a good sleeper so have nothing helpful sorry. I do tend to work out at night as by the time I leave work from sitting all day I am full of energy sometimes to much so LOL.

• Like 2

I spent lots of my evenings on the forum early in my quit (and beyond).  Wine put me right out in the evenings.  :)

These days, I still pop in here at night sometimes, and I ditched all the wine and alcohol a year ago, but I love sleeping, so don't have too many suggestions in that department.

Maybe cut down on caffeine intake if you have a lot.  I finish my two daily cups of coffee by 8:00, and that's it for me for the day or I'll have trouble sleeping.

Good job getting right back on your quit!!!! :)

• Like 2

Sex or beer. Both work

Bakon is the only one to get it right.... :p

Sleeping actually aided me in quitting. I was using up my vacation time I had accumulated ...over a month... and thats when I attempted my first (and final) quit... to help combat craves and triggers...I spent a LOT of time sleeping. I figured as long as I was asleep, I couldn't smoke...seemed to work... Oh....and Jackies suggestion of melatonin is spot on. Think of it as eating a whole turkey...Turkey is loaded with (natural) melatonin and that's why on thanksgiving everyone takes a nap later....lol...seriously, I had a Dr. recommend it to help with cluster headaches when I was younger...it helps you get to sleep, and past the R.E.M. part of your sleep...to a deep sleep. (The rem was thought to possibly trigger cluster headaches.)... I don't know about the headache part, but I still occasionally take some before bed when I have trouble sleeping.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the support! Yes, I think sleeping earlier is good, because my craving apparently come more often and with more severity in the evening. I agree with you Nancy that I need to be tired when I go to bed, or the demons will visit. and Joe, I remember sleeping in A LOT during my other quit to put off those morning coffee and a cig urges.

Things I got from this thread:

-Melatonin ( will pick it up today)

-bedtime tea

-hot tub ( or in my case we have a steam room!)

- relaxing music (no more Abba on Pandora!)

- sex AND wine!

- exercise in the AM

-caffeine only in the AM

-I think I will also insist that supper is no later than 7:00.

Thanks again! You will probably see me popping in and out a lot over the next month!

• Like 4