Need some advice

hford

It is hard to give up something that I've gone to so many times. I'm currently in online college classes, and every time I would get done with an assignment, I would go outside and have a smoke. Now that I can't do that, I tend to sit in my chair, and just think. Sometimes I will grab my markers and coloring book and color.  I'm just so tired. I have decreased my caffeine intake as I've read that nicotine makes the caffeine lose some of it's effect, and when I do have a cup of coffee in the afternoon, I can tell now that I get jittery... But I have to concentrate on my homework at night, and I am having a really hard time. Maybe it will get better when I have three days smoke free?

• Like 2

You will feel better and better.

Learning what your body needs is really important and nicotine replaced important human needs.

Are you Hungry, Angry, Lonesome, Tired  (H.A.L.T) ?

Here is a post about it.

You will be learning how to do everything again and creating better patterns.

Educate yourself about addiction.  This is the best tool in your tool box.

Hang in there.  Be resolute. and power through cravings.  You are winning.

S

• Like 3

You're right hford, things will get better.  Many of us were tired and had some brain fog.  All normal as your body adjusts.  I took mini naps, I took epsom salt baths, I colored and ate carrots n hummus...I cried, I read here.  Whatever it took to get through those initial days.  Saz is spot on when she said to read up on addiction.  When you fully grasp how one drag will throw you back into the gutter, you'll also find your dedication and commitment strengthen tenfold.  I'm glad you found us!  Stay close to the boards and as often as you can.

I get what you're saying about going outside whenever there's a pause in your day.  I did the same for years.  But not anymore :)

NOPE = Not One Puff Ever  

Make the pledge everyday.

• Like 2

Hi H..

First..your doing great...our bodies are thrown into chaos... It's used to a poison being fed in on a regular basis..

It takes time to adjust..

Be kind to yourself...

Folks here are right..read all you can..watch the videos.. Educate yourself...

Allen Carr ..the easy way..is a great read too..I think you can read it on line...

Keep posting...so we can support you through all your feeling..

• Like 2

That end-task craving was a big one for me.  The addiction is obviously a big part of the equation, but we also conditioned ourselves for years to treat the cigarette as a reward for a job completed.  The good news is: you can replace something you used to do (smoking) with healthier and more beneficial alternatives.

Stuart already mentioned walking.  Brief breaks to get in some movement during long bouts of sedentary work are great for you physically and mentally.  Getting moving will also help you feel less lethargic.  I also suggest breathing exercises.  They're often suggested as a means of dealing with nicotine cravings, but I find them very beneficial to perform throughout the day as a means of relaxing the mind and resetting yourself when things get hectic.

There may well be moments when it doesn't feel like it, but rest assured...you are doing one of the best things for yourself you will ever do.  Proceed.

• Like 2

It is hard to give up something that I've gone to so many times. I'm currently in online college classes, and every time I would get done with an assignment, I would go outside and have a smoke.

Our smoking addiction was ingrained in every waking (for some even when not awake) moment of our lives.  For me, I had to smoke with my morning coffee and for me, it felt like the best thing in the world and there was no way I wanted to give that up.  But I yet sit here and type a response to you and couldn't imagine letting a nasty cigarette ruin my perfectly brewed cup of coffee.  I ain't having that.

I, like yourself and countless others, would reward myself with a cigarette for many things, some of which were routine.  For example; if I started my car I instantly lit a cigarette.  After all, one shouldn't drive without a cigarette, should they?  In the last 12 months alone, I've put over 40,000 miles on my little Honda.  Not once did I smoke, feel like I was missing out on anything or felt awkward or something was different.  Mind you, this was 2+ years after I quit smoking but look ahead and focus on where you want to be because as the more time you earn under your belt of not smoking, you make new "normal's" and smoking won't have a thing to do with it.  Not even a desire.  The only way to get here is to do what you just did and reach out for help and continue putting in the time.  Don't stop now!

Using Cigarettes As Rewards

Video discusses how what many people find themselves not wanting to do certain activities because they can no longer reward themselves with a cigarette for completion of their tasks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYq43i2tKaY

Now that I can't do that, I tend to sit in my chair, and just think. Sometimes I will grab my markers and coloring book and color. 

You can do that (go outside and smoke) but you've chosen a better path and made a firm choice to never take another puff.  Congratulate yourself for that!  You're not giving anything up and instead of getting not only your freedom back, but all sort of huge benefits; some come now and others will come later.  Enjoy this process because trust me, YOU WILL look back and fondly remember this as the best choice you could have made.  You can "just sit" without smoking.  I do it all the time and in fact, it's one of my favorite pastimes, that and napping. :lol22: Now I can "just sit" and not have to smell the stench of chemicals and death coming from my cigarette, don't have cigarette smoke in my eyes, don't have to put out a cigarette and check the pack and figure out how much time I have left to feed the addiction before I have to run down to the store to get more and the list can go on and on.

How To Do Nothing Without A Cigarette

Video discusses how what many people find the most difficult time periods to get through when first quitting smoking is when they have nothing really to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WylBJlR-3E

Life As A Smoker Is A Balancing Act

While quitting may result in a person feeling some discomfort for a few days, smokers face discomfort on a daily basis from having to maintain a constant and comfortable nicotine level. Maintaining this level is a constant balancing act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfiH2iX_aIU

I'm just so tired. I have decreased my caffeine intake as I've read that nicotine makes the caffeine lose some of it's effect, and when I do have a cup of coffee in the afternoon, I can tell now that I get jittery... But I have to concentrate on my homework at night, and I am having a really hard time. Maybe it will get better when I have three days smoke free?

Although I drink less coffee now compared to when I was smoking, I didn't intentionally decrease it.  Over time the amount of caffeine I needed to sustain my addiction to it (yes, I am addicted to caffeine!) decreased on it's own.  Although I still drink enough coffee in one day to last most people 2 or 3, it's still much less compared to when I was smoking.  When my doctor asks over the top of her reading glasses, "Wait.  You drink how much coffee?", leads me to believe that I still drink quite a bit. HA!  For me, I find that I can concentrate much better without nicotine which increased my heart rate, increased my blood pressure and released an Army of adrenaline when I didn't need it.  That is supposed to be for the "fight or flight" response to a legitimate crisis, not working on computer (as was mostly my case) or homework.  It will get better, there is no way around that no matter how much rationalizing somebody wants to do.  That's good news!  :)

Why I Recommend Cranberry Juice When First Quitting Smoking

Video discusses how cranberry juice can help people when first quitting smoking, but that it use is only helpful during the initial withdrawal period that lasts only 72 hours or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVkuOU7MBjQ

The Terrible 3's

This video discusses why people "may" have problems at three day and three month marks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTIr3UEez1w&list=PL4F05C03D0F9B86DB&index=11

Frequency And Duration Of Thoughts And Urges

Smokers often want others to tell them how many urges they are likely going to have when first quitting smoking, how strong will they be, how long will they last and will they face these urges for the rest of their lives. This video addresses these concerns and gives some practical advice as to how to deal with urges when and if they do occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRQVdXv7Is&feature=em-upload_owner

As the others have said, this will get better over time.  It's not a fast process but it's steady and if you keep your eye on the end goal you'll reach it before you know it.  Keep moving forward, no matter what and you will get to a day when you cannot even imagine smoking a cigarette.   Being smoke free, physically and mentally, is a freedom like no other.   You'll see.  :)