April 12, 201412 yr Since my fitness blog turned into the Quit Train Blog, I guess I'll start a new one here. First, my "stuff" in the basement. A treadmill is on the other side of the basement but I hate the sucker so I didn't take a picture of it. We have a love/hate relationship. :)
April 12, 201412 yr Author Now, the food & cardio. Lifting or Cardio days Protein: 235g Carbs: 235g Fats: 60g Fiber: 25-55g Refeed (Once every 7 days) Protein: 215g Carbs: 350g Fats:50g Fiber: 25-55g Cardio - High Intensity Intervals 2 Days Per Week 5 min warmup 5 minutes of intervals each interval lasts 3 min 2:30 sec 50% of my max, final 30 sec run as fast as I can (life or death sprinting) Repeat 5 times, no rest in between 5 min cool down at a fast face Low Intensity Cardio 2 days per week 20 minutes of moderate cardio (treadmill, biking etc.)
April 12, 201412 yr Author Weight Training Program Modified Power/hypertrophy Training Split Day 1: Upper body (power) Day 2: Lower body (power) Day 3: restDay 4: Back & ChestDay 5: Lower BodyDay 6: Shoulders & ArmsDay 7: Rest/Abs Power Exercises Chest: Flat dumbbell presses Back: Cable rows Shoulders: Dumbbell pressesQuads: Hack SquatsHams: Stiff Legged deadlifts Routines Day 1: Upper Body1-Seated Cable Rows2-Lat Pull-downs 3 sets of 8-10 reps3-Flat DB Press (following power routine)4-Aux. chest exercise: Flat Bench Press(DB, Bench, or Hammer Strength) 3 sets 8-10 reps5-DB Shoulder Press6-Bicep Aux. Exercise: Dumbbell curls 2 sets of 6-8 reps7- Tricep Aux. Exercise: Cable press-downs 2 sets of 6-8 reps Day 2: Lower Body1-Hack Squat (following power routine)2-Leg Press: 2 sets of 8-103-Stiff Leg Deadlifts (following power routine)4-Standing calf raises (on hack squat machine) 3 sets of 6-8 reps5- Seated calf raises: 2 sets of 6-8 reps Day 3: Rest Day 4: Back & ChestBack1- Seated Cable Rows -3 sets of 10, stay 1-2 reps shy of failure.2nd exercise: - Lat Pulldowns - 3 sets: 10-12 reps3rd exercise: - dumbbell rows - 3 sets: 10-15 reps4th exercise: close grip cable pull-downs - 3 sets: 12-15 reps5th exercise: machine rows - 2 sets: 12-15 reps Chest1-Flat DB Press (3 sets of 10, stop short of failure)2nd exercise: Incline DB press - 3 sets: 10-12 reps 3rd exercise: DB Flyes - 3 sets: 12-15 reps1 set of weighted stretches: 50% of normal 8-10 rep max on flat dumbbell press and hold the dumbbells in the stretched position for 60 seconds Day 5: LegsQuads1- Hack Squat (3X10) @65% of 10 rep max2nd exercise: - leg presses - 3 sets: 10-12 reps3nd exercise: leg extension - 3 sets: 12-15 reps Hams1- Stiff Leg Deadlift (3X10) 65% of 10RM2nd exercise: seated leg curl - 3 sets: 12-15 repsCalves - 1st exercise: -standing calf raise - 3 sets 8-12 reps2nd exercise: seated calf raise - 3 sets: 6-15 reps Day 6: Shoulders & ArmsShoulders1st exercise: DB Shoulder Press (3X10) @65% of 10 rep max2nd exercise: dumbbell side lateral raises - 3 sets: 10-12 reps3rd exercise: Bent over dumbbell laterals - 2 sets: 12-15 reps Arms1st exercise: Alternating dumbbell curls - 4 sets: 6-10 reps 2nd exercise: Preacher curls - 3 sets: 10-15 reps3rd exercise: Skull crushers or overhead cable rope extensions - 3 sets: 6-10 reps4th exercise: cable press downs - 3 sets: 10-15 reps*Superset bicep exercises with tricep exercises to cut down on time Day 7: rest/cardio
April 12, 201412 yr The Sarge's basement gym consists of a treadmill, a pull-up bar, and a big-screen TV connected to the interwebs (Netflix and the like). Going for that whole "minimalist" thing[1]. Easy Peasy FOOTNOTES: [1] Sarge has never intentionally lifted a weight in a gym in his life.
April 12, 201412 yr Author On the other wall where my weights are, there is an LED TV [1], stereo for the tunes, sectional for when I'd rather lay down and a really, really cool handmade teak/oak/red oak desk [2]. Footnotes: [1] The LED TV is hooked up to Netflix as well as the internet, FIOS so I can watch the Baltimore Ravens & Orioles [2] MQ would rather throw the treadmill away than part with desk
April 13, 201412 yr Can I come visit? Lol, all I have is a jump rope, a mat, figure-8 resistance band, and two dumbbells. Mind you, I'm just starting off and I actually need to lose weight more than I need to strength train.
April 13, 201412 yr Can I come visit? Lol, all I have is a jump rope, a mat, figure-8 resistance band, and two dumbbells. Mind you, I'm just starting off and I actually need to lose weight more than I need to strength train. you can do both at the same time and the weight will come off also :)
April 13, 201412 yr Author Can I come visit? Lol, all I have is a jump rope, a mat, figure-8 resistance band, and two dumbbells. Mind you, I'm just starting off and I actually need to lose weight more than I need to strength train. Jumping rope is hard, at least for me which is why I never do it. lol It's not the same as when we were kids. :) Jumping rope is great and WILL get you in shape. No doubt about that.
April 14, 201412 yr Lol, I figured it would be. Haven't tried it out yet because the weather has been kind of icky here. I was waiting for it to warm up. Now I have no excuses not to try the jump rope. My knees are going to love this, I'm sure.
April 14, 201412 yr Impressive... But I would miss the gym. ( If you told me I would be saying this a year ago, I would have laughed at you! )
April 24, 201412 yr I love watching the big guys lift at the gym especially on legs day. I am the middle aged lady ogling you from the corner of her eyes. :)
April 24, 201412 yr No kidding. Set a stopwatch and try to jump rope steadily for 10 minutes. No thank you!
April 24, 201412 yr @ Ava I just started with the thirty five. The kettlebell is not to be laughed at - it is the secret to the Russian Circus Strongmen of old. Might want to look into this MQ. If your interested I'll send you some links I have found useful.
April 26, 201412 yr Author My workout area has been calling my name and I've been acting like I can't hear. I need to get my ass back in gear, big time!! It's almost May and time is ticking.
April 29, 201412 yr Wow.....I do feel lazy....... Only today I wondered whether to do arm weights with my two tins of hienz beans.....no..... I will start with my eye lids....open and close one.....now the other.....yes thats better....well I am old.....l.ol....
April 29, 201412 yr I work shift so I don't have a seven day routine. More like 4 times a week deal. Never workout on Sat or Sunday- So it leaves me five days. Day1 Chest and back Day 2 Shoulders and arms repeat- Sometimes I only get three workouts in so I start Shoulders and arms first next week. , which is hard second day of chest and back.. First day always gets abs so at least twice a week. 10 minutes cardio warmup, lift, 10 minutes cardio end, leave gym, 5 minute ride home, walk dogs 2 miles. Every workout day weather permitting the walk.... Gave up on legs because I got good knees for age and no more heavy lifting there. 20 minutes cardio is treadmill or some torture device that moves arms too, plus 2 mile walk, legs are for walking I figure, not lifting cars.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.