Gabby

babs609

You need to be here every day, my friend.  Last few posts have been a bit shakey...from your holiday away ("I almost smoked") to your recent post in the curse it thread...I am very concerned about you.

Let's give her the reasons she does not want to smoke please...reminders please

I'll start

You will hate yourself. 

The cigarette you are romancing is a lie...it doesn't exist.  Not for you, not for any of us.  The only cigarette we enjoyed (or so we thought) was the ones where we hadn't smoked for a while...and we thought they were enjoyable when really...we were only relieving withdrawal symptoms.  You are not in withdrawal...therefore..any thoughts you had about it..are all illusions.

Those people you are looking at who are "enjoying" smoking....well, they HAVE to smoke.  They don't "GET" to smoke.

You don't have to...you are free!!!!  Protect that quit with everything you have.  I was shaky still after 10 months...but that was my last shaky episode....hang in there Gabby!!!!

who's next?

• Like 7

Gabby you have less road to travel in front of you then you have behind you, that peace you are looking for could be just around the corner but if you turn back now you might not never know

Fast forward 10 months, would you really want to do all that you have already done again?

You do not need to smoke anymore you are witnessing addicts getting their FIX, would you be so envious if they were shooting stuff in their veins with dirty needles? That's the image you need to have in your mind when you see smokers

I know those addictions are completely different but it puts more of a reality to the situation - they need it, they know it and you know it but they say they want one because to say need means there is a problem

You are more educated and stepped through the door, keep going Gabby, you have a whole army here behind you hun xx

• Like 4

Awww Gabs, whenever I'm having a hard time of it I think back to the time that I did smoke and guess what.-----  All I wanted to do then was quit. 

If you really think about it smoking was something that caused us so much distress ALL THE TIME and yet even though it wasn't pleasant we look back on it like a long lost love.  That's what addiction does.  Don't let the addiction cloud your thinking.  Remember the smell, smoking when you were sick, being stressed because you couldn't smoke all the time, wanting a cigarette the moment you put out your last one, smoking in the cold/wind/rain.  Choosing cigarettes over loved ones, events etc...  All smokers have experienced most of what I've written here and more.  You don't really want to go back to that.

You got this!   I know you can do it.

• Like 5

My friend I think I struggled too around 10 months for a short time.

Imagine smoking that one cig. Would you not feel so sad ? There would be no relief because at this point there is no addiction so there will be no aaahhh. That urge is in your mind and no cigarette can help you.

10 months! What a significant achievement. You did it all alone and you are a winner.

• Like 5

I've never heard of one single person who was glad they gave up their quit for that elusive cigarette.  It didn't bring relief.  

You can get past this.  Remind yourself why you wanted to quit in the first place and then reframe your current thinking.  And stay CLOSE to the QT!!

• Like 5

At the moment I just feel like a smoker that's not smoking at the moment.  I have good days, but I just can't be round smokers, I am weak and maybe I always will be.  I still go up and down like a yo yo.    It just looked like they were so at ease around the table having a drink laughing and talking the sun was out, we were all by the beach.  They don't seem to be as grumpy as me and I still haven't worked out the getting stressed part and not wanting one.  What's wrong with me I should be all over this now.  I do know all the good things smoking brings.  May it's because I did it for money reasons and not health.  Everybody who I knew who quit has gone back to smoking.  And I don't feel included anymore.  They don't offer me cigs or anything I'm just always left behind when they go to smoke and I can't go with them because I don't trust myself.   I know this sounds sad but I'm not, I am having a hard time making my mind up about smoking and yes you are right I would hate myself if I started again.  here's hoping it will just pass.   

• Like 2

I say face it head on. Staying away from the smokers is more harmful to you than to sit there with them because it's causing a separation and isolation. You have to trust that you won't smoke. I think you are underestimating yourself and causing unnecessary frustration and sadness.

Be with them. Sit with them. Enjoy their company. There's the joy...not the act of smoking

You won't smoke.

• Like 3

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I always felt like I was a non smoker who smoked!

But these identities are over-thinking...which I do a lot.

Please don't throw away a 10 month quit!

I don't have much more to say, just that I'm thinking

of you, and when I first came on at 18 days I

said I was "sitting on the fence" and peeps here

set me straight, I wasn't smoking so I did it. So

you aren't a fraud or anything like that - if you

don't smoke, you don't smoke. If you have a lot

of thoughts you have a lot of thoughts. I've learned

all this stuff here so I'm just sprinkling you with

all the great quit pixie dust I've collected here.

POOF! Sparkles in your hair, so there you go, Gabs!

• Like 5

I can't keep coming on here moaning and complaining

of course you can that is what this board is for.....to vent, to let it out, to hear us out, for us to hear you, for us to help you, for us to be your sounding board if you need at any time of the day.....those moments will pass quicker as time goes by.....just takes time and daily reminders that you do not smoke now and will not ever again it is not an option ever ....Hugs and loads of support.

• Like 5

Gabby- please know that we are all here for you - and we love reading your posts !! Have you taken time to reflect on why you originally quit ? I mean what has changed that now makes smoking seem more beneficial than all those reasons you stopped in the first place ?? 10 months is a precious quit but still young in terms of how long you smoked ... So I think some smoking thoughts are natural and not a sign you are destined to smoke. Maybe re read some of the stuff and stay close ... But know you can do this xx

Oh and don't make me swim over there ... Just say'n !

• Like 6

May it's because I did it for money reasons and not health

That's still a goal, you have saved $8,400 so far! Wow that's huge, maybe you could save for something extra special for yourself something really big something that would normally be totally out of the question, having a goal like that could give You that motivation and termination to get you over that final hurdle??

Me and Rez are going to be saving for a boat and when we get that we will set New goal

There is nothing wrong with you, I struggled to with social events but a mind switch was all that was needed and a new focus

You can do this Gabby x

• Like 3