March 5, 201511 yr I am so looking forward to Spring...and as much as I complain about winter and wishing I lived in a more Babs friendly climate..I love Spring Fever! It's a feeling that those who live in milder climates don't experience. Seeing colors come to life, the birds singing a lovely tune at 6:00 am, the sound of lawnmowers, the smell of rain and fresh cut grass.....oh , i could go on and on!!! With this change of seasons, for many...comes triggers! Many of you are are facing Spring for the first time as a non smoker and you may experience some restlessness in response to these milestones. For example, even though you are enjoying breathing in fresh air as you sit out in your yard on a nice sunny spring day...your addict will remember you sitting outside with a cigarette...associating the feeling of peace and tranquility with the cigarette, rather than just the feeling of being there...enjoying the moment. That being said....let's focus on what you are looking forward to this Spring as a non-smoker.... Even though this July will be 3 years since I quit...I am still looking forward to going on a hike. I love hiking but as a smoker I would have to stop every 100 feet and breathe...and of course...after I would catch my breath..I would smoke. The first year I quit smoking..it was easier. Last year, easier yet! I can't wait to see how far I can go this year!! I also look forward to keeping up with my 2.5 year old granddaughter on the playground and not be out of breath. What are you looking forward to....as a non smoker in the next few months??
March 5, 201511 yr Swimming, hiking, biking, roller skating, outside training area at the park, shooting hoops, throwing hay, jumping rope, waxing my truck, beating my rugs, full moon walk/jogs, sweeping my porch instead of sitting on my fat butt smoking on my porch...spontaneously dancing in the street, picnics, bird watching, clothes shopping with money saved by not smoking, ice cream, fireworks, making new non-smoking friends, meditating in the sun, decadently sprawling out on a blanket reading, or just gazing up at the blue sky, and breathing in, breathing out, breathing in and breathing out. Smoking ruined, polluted or stole many of these things and I want them ALL back. Bring on Spring and Summer 2015! I'm so ready...
March 5, 201511 yr walking in the woods again, I love the woods and with all this snow its nearly impossible and not the same :) the warm sun on my face, working in the garden, watching the birds and insects busy busy, the smell of bbq`s and boating :)
March 5, 201511 yr Tracey! "...bbq's and boating??!!" You are sounding so American! You sound like you're fitting in here seamlessly. Good for you!
March 5, 201511 yr Tracey! "...bbq's and boating??!!" You are sounding so American! You sound like you're fitting in here seamlessly. Good for you! haha the funny thing is I have not had or been invited to one here yet, but that will change this year :), I was remembering the English BBQ`s, burnt crispy sausages, falling apart burgers and half cooked chicken drumsticks oh those were the days :), the boating bit is all American though
March 5, 201511 yr haha the funny thing is I have not had or been invited to one here yet, but that will change this year :), I was remembering the English BBQ`s, burnt crispy sausages, falling apart burgers and half cooked chicken drumsticks oh those were the days :), the boating bit is all American though "...crispy sausages, falling apart burgers and half cooked chicken drumsticks..." Sounds like the barbecues SHOULD have remained all Amerian, too! :D
March 5, 201511 yr "...crispy sausages, falling apart burgers and half cooked chicken drumsticks..." Sounds like the barbecues SHOULD have remained all Amerian, too! :D lol indeed, we have not mastered the art of outdoor cooking but the pimms and wine help :)
March 5, 201511 yr lol indeed, we have not mastered the art of outdoor cooking but the pimms and wine help :) Was gonna say, it's cause we are all on the pimms darling...so no one cares haha. I CAN'T WAIT to get outand about again. Walks in the woods which are nicer when it's mild. Going to do some nature walks in nearby villages for the first time :) Can't wait to do a season in the garden without triggers this year too!! Last year spoilt it a little with keep attributing breaks to smoke breaks.
March 5, 201511 yr Well, you limeys, I finally found the definition of "Pimms cup" http://www.chow.com/recipes/10279-pimms-cup However, after listing the ingredients the article goes on to say, "Detractors have likened the earthy mixture to liquid dirt mellowed by iodine..." H-m-m-m, right up there with toad-in-the-hole and spotted dick, eh? You folks sure know how to eat! :)
March 6, 201511 yr Spring. Windows closed, ac on, dread of summer approaching For Pete's sake, Beacon, you live in Miami so what do you expect? South Florida only has 2 seasons-- bake and broil! (LOL!! :D )
March 6, 201511 yr Running outside a lot, riding my bike on the bike trail and wait for it.........going camping in my new trailer that not wasting money on cigarettes have bought me(that is how I justify buying the camper/trailer is that I have extra money every month why not spend some of it on something fun :) )oh yeah sitting outside on my deck, fires in my backyard........not having to wear 20 layers to go outside etc.
March 6, 201511 yr Sheesh yes. New England. Clouds, ice, snow, wind, hail, gray, frost, slush, red-faces, chapped-lips, cracked and bleeding fingers, and COOOOOLD. I'll be ready when the next season makes her entrance. Mostly, like Babs mentioned, I look forward to a Spring of heightened earthy smells. My hikes are going to be a whole new experience. The colors brighter too. I want to smell EVERYTHING! Moss, dirt, rivers, fungi, flowers, trees, etc, etc. But I accept the weather now too. These days strengthen and fortify us!
March 6, 201511 yr Now you northern hemisphere people are just being mean !! I mean way to rub in it will soon be winter here !! :-). Not to worry though our winters are pretty mild AND I don't have to go out in any wet weather to smoke ...so all good here ! :-)
March 6, 201511 yr Baseball. It's one of the best ways to bring in spring. Go O's! I love to watch the woods come back to life. The foliage, the birds and all the colors makes for great views while drinking coffee the only way I know how, perfectly brewed. Then there's the kids and listening to them play outside. Not necessarily relaxing, but peaceful nonetheless. HA! Sometimes after a hard rain my mind travels back to northeastern Ohio when I was a kid. I'll never forget the brick road we lived on, the little green house we lived in, the kitchen and watching it rain as my brother and I looked out the screen door feeling like it would never end. So, so many years ago but it seems as if it were yesterday. I love memories. I hope my kids look back on their childhood with fond memories.
March 6, 201511 yr I love the smells of spring and cannot wait! I'll be doing a small garden for the first time this year and I am so looking forward to getting started!
March 6, 201511 yr , I was remembering the English BBQ`s, burnt crispy sausages This makes me feel uncomfortable.... ;)
March 6, 201511 yr This is a great post babs... nice timing too. This was a HUGE stumbling block/stepping stone for me. I LOVE to be outside. I go out side every chance I get. I do alot of working in the yard... alot of golfing... alot of working in the yard (yes...I said it twice cause I do it alot)... anyways... before I quit... I started everything... took a break and finished everything I did with a cigarrette. and when you are outside ofcourse you can smoke whenever you damn well please. I quit in Jacuary...so by the time Spring got here I thought I had it licked. I didn't...I struggled alittle when I was outside. But I pushed through it. Now...I do not even think about it. Hold on at all costs. keep on keepin on.
March 10, 201511 yr Hiking, exploring the city without a coat or discomfort and tennis are what I'm most looking forward to
March 12, 201511 yr Me too-its driving me nuts being stuck instead, at least its no longer single digits & the damn snow is melting,pretty soon I can give my new heart valve a workout. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.