SAD Winterblues

Tink

At the moment it's not too bad but soon I will suffer from SAD or winter blues, the lack of sunlight affects my moods and all I want to do is hibernating until spring

However this is not possible as I am not a bear :)

Over the years I Have tried different things but I found taking extra vitamin D helps and also I have a Swedish light box that simulates natural light which stimulates good feeling hormones

I think I will invest in one of those daylight alarm clocks also which wake you up more naturally has anyone tried these?

Do you suffer from winter blues?

Would be interesting to Know what's tried and tested

• Like 2

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USOH0329

yep...I hate this season already  :)  ..just a sample of what you have to look forward to upon your return in December/January...

Im not sure if the link will show it, but we got somewhere around 5 inches of snow yesterday, and todays temp is 10* F with a wind chill of -11* F  ... (Rez is in the "snow belt" ...(lake effect snow)...I am sure he got more!)

You must really think Rez is special  ;)

• Like 1

I hate winter with a passion, It is getting worse for me each year, this year I am trying something different by spending more time outside in natural light . I get dressed as warm as I can get and go outside and play with my dogs. Or take Cody for a walk. I hate that it gets dark so soon and it doesnt help that we are getting January weather in November sigh..............but what can you do cant move so have to deal with it some way.

Hope you find what works for you

• Like 3

Yes Ma'am... I think that I suffer from Seasonal depression.  I love being outside... but hate the cold.  How I ended up in Northern Indiana.. I have no idea.

10 more years until the kids are both gone to college.

Then we are moving south.  Probably off the coast of Virginia somewhere.  We are going to start a Chips and Charter business.  All I am going to wear to work everyday is a cutoff pair of jeans.  I will take them fishing in the Cheasapeake and the wife will cook their fish when we get back.

Awwwwww... dreams!!!

• Like 9

Yes Ma'am... I think that I suffer from Seasonal depression.  I love being outside... but hate the cold.  How I ended up in Northern Indiana.. I have no idea.

Then we are moving south.  Probably off the coast of Virginia somewhere.  We are going to start a Chips and Charter business.  All I am going to wear to work everyday is a cutoff pair of jeans.  I will take them fishing in the Cheasapeake and the wife will cook their fish when we get back.

Awwwwww... dreams!!!

Chrispy....that sounds like a good plan.....

Hope all the money you are not spending on those cancer sticks....will help towards it....

Good luck...

• Like 1

Vit D.  Your B vits too.

go outside and lift your palms and face towards the sun (or where the sun would be if it wasn't cloudy)

do this Everyday for 5-10 minutes.  

People/strangers on the street love to see this.  It makes them feel not so crazy ! :P

Watch out for Alcohol.  It is a depressant.  (another grim reality to accept  :( )

Exercise to pump up your endorphins.

Try to Remember to Be ever grateful you are Alive.  I suffer too.  

Vit D and the sun/face/hand trick really made a diff last winter.

So did Not Smoking...I was happy to be Free.

oooh babycakes... good thing you will have Rez & Buddy The Dog for cheer where you're going. 

• Like 4

Vit D.  Your B vits too.

go outside and lift your palms and face towards the sun (or where the sun would be if it wasn't cloudy)

People/strangers on the street love to see this.  It makes them feel not so crazy ! :P

I love this idea ;)

• Like 3

I love this idea ;)

Vit D.  Your B vits too.

I can do it in the privacy of my courtyard but, in case of emergency...

The Public absolutely loves it,

especially when you point to your Third Eye and say, "The Sun alerts my Pineal Gland (which has rudimentary rods and cones, you know) to send me some feel good juice."

and, it works !  :D

• Like 4

Vit D.  Your B vits too.

Watch out for Alcohol.  It is a depressant.  (another grim reality to accept  :( )

Exercise to pump up your endorphins.

Try to Remember to Be ever grateful you are Alive.  I suffer too.  

Vit D and the sun/face/hand trick really made a diff last winter.

So did Not Smoking...I was happy to be Free.

oooh babycakes... good thing you will have Rez & Buddy The Dog for cheer where you're going.

Wow Sally this sounds interesting...

I must be having a go at this.....

It's great learning new things...

This board is great....

Xxxxx

• Like 2

Awwwwww... dreams!!!

Love this dream Christy, make sure you make it a reality, you quit smoking, you can do anything and the thoughts will keep you warm and fuzzy inside best of luck to you x

• Like 2

I can do it in the privacy of my courtyard but, in case of emergency...

The Public absolutely loves it,

especially when you point to your Third Eye and say, "The Sun alerts my Pineal Gland (which has rudimentary rods and cones, you know) to send me some feel good juice."

and, it works !  :D

I hope action reads this again properly before experimenting, Sally said pineal gland! ;)

Try working shifts. I don't see the sun for weeks in winter. Love going to work 3-11pm when it gets dark by 4 and then the cold dark nights which last 7 days for the midnight shift. By halfway through I don't even know what day of week it is. To beat it I sleep four or five hours, get up and go to gym, eat dinner and go back to bed for a few more. Get up watch hour of tv and go to work. See the sun that way. Electric blanket is my best friend. Fall right to sleep when bed already warm. Hit it on ten minutes before I lay down. Just try not to wet the bed

Tracey let me know how it goes. I try and focus on the next big event through the winter, I don't know if it's Sad or just the cold gives me the right royal hump! So I found the focus thing on the next plan really helps!

Sally I'm intrigued how your plan works, late to the party though so perhaps you'll miss it. You tried it and you felt better for it? face and hands towards the sun? What about your pineal gland?

While the kids are shouting wheeee going down old ski slopes on a sled in the snow I'm creating new swear words in my head. I hate the rain and snow. Remind us again chick, why were we born in england? xx

• Like 1

Sally I'm intrigued how your plan works, late to the party though so perhaps you'll miss it. You tried it and you felt better for it? face and hands towards the sun? What about your pineal gland?

It worked for me.  The combination of Vit D3 and all the B's and making sure I went outside to 'sun' my face and hands.  

Even on cloudy days, you will still get the UV's.

This may be crazy.  Might not be crazy.  

I, at least, felt I was doing something to help myself and not wallow in the sad gunk.

Pineal Gland