Healthy and cheap foods to buy?

Leanna

Hey everyone:

So as part of trying to lose weight and keep it off, I've been trying to change my eating habits. However, I struggle with trying to find healthy items. I really need suggestions on what foods I should be eating, what I can pick up for staple items, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What types of meat I should buy? Fish I should buy? Canned items? Vegetables? Snacks? Best cheese and milk products?

I can't eat eggs, so I'm kind of limited for breakfast.

Unfortunately, my weight is starting to impact my life more so than ever and I need to make some serious changes if I want to feel better. 

• Like 2

What types of meat I should buy? Fish I should buy? Canned items? Vegetables? Snacks? Best cheese and milk products?

I can't eat eggs, so I'm kind of limited for breakfast.

I don't eat fish, so can't comment on that.  I do eat a lot of chicken, I buy the Perdue Perfect Portion tenderloins at my local wholesale club for grilling.  For chicken dishes, anytime chicken breast is on sale, I stock up and freeze it in 1 lb portions.  I consider $1.99/lb a stock up price.  Turkey tips are awesome too.  For flavoring the chicken, watch the marinades.  A lot of the commercial ones contain a lot of sugar.  Dry rubs are best, but I still use a marinade here and there.  I have a couple of chicken/pork recipes you might like.   

Breakfast?  You are not limited, at all.  Fruit is always awesome.  Oatmeal.  I love oatmeal and eat it almost every morning.  I keep packs of Better Oats at my desk at work, for when I forget to bring homemade in.  I make my own oatmeal from steel cut oats and add my own ingredients.   Yogurt I love.  Stay away from the ones that are flavored, they are full of sugar, usually between 20 and 30 grams of added sugar.  I buy Fage 2% plain Greek yogurt 7 oz and add a couple tablespoons sugar free jam and some fruit.  Today for lunch, I had that with sugar free apricot jam and I cut up some dried apricots and mixed it all up.  I added some chia seeds, 21 grams of protein right there.  The other day, I used raspberry sugar free jam and added fresh raspberries to it.  

Fresh spinach is cheap, saute it with a little olive oil and garlic.  When done, dress with a little grated romano or parm cheese.  

• Like 3

For me breakfast is a protein shake - I add some frozen berries and half a banana plus some chia seeds - and it keeps me full until lunchtime. I do gluten free - so lunch is usually a salad or sushi.

Re fish - I love salmon and tuna plus lots of yummy local varieties- and my biggest rule of thumb - I don't eat food unless it is local ... No food should have more frequent flyer points than I have !

• Like 3

For years my breakfast was coffee followed by 1 banana with peanut butter and 5-6 egg whites.  Then I would put in a 3-5 mile run 4-5 days per week on that breakfast.

Now since I start work anywhere between 0445 and 0500, I'm not hungry at all when I get up and drink coffee until I get to work.  Usually around 0530-0600 I start to get hungry and eat some yogurt, drink a protein shake (w/ almond or coconut milk) or have a banana w/ peanut butter. 

For snacks I have carrots, a Nutri-Grain bar, Belvitta breakfast biscuits, protein bar or a banana w/ peanut if I didn't eat one earlier.

For lunch I'll have grilled chicken with a huge handful of spinach, some carrots, broccoli and add some fat-free dressing.  I grill a bunch of chicken on Sunday to last 3 days so I can quickly gather a good lunch for work.  The chicken, carrots and broccoli are cheap.  The grill was not.  :)

The key is to not eat carbs that quickly raise your blood sugar.  You need carbs but choose them wisely.  Whole grain carbs accomplish this and if you eat plenty of food with fiber (whole grain carbs are not refined thus they keep their fiber and other nutrients that are otherwise milled out), you'll feel "fuller" longer after you eat and besides, fiber will change your life.

For example, right now, 45% of my calories come from carbs and I'll never, ever go below 40%.  That's 900 calories from carbs per day for me.  If I were to eat mostly processed and enriched carbs, I'd be freaking hungry all the time as my blood sugar would spike instead of gradually rise.  Of course I eat enough crap that I shouldn't but I sure can tell a difference after I eat it.

For me I was eating healthy enough but my calorie intake was outta control versus what I needed.  Portion control was out of whack and my drinks were adding in many calories! 

So I'd have a salad, but it was huge, with dressing etc. So I found balsamic dressing and that's much lower in calories.  I'd have loads of coffee and tea which I've now subbed to more water (fill a bottle in the morning and you're more likely to sip it). I also added some herbal teas. Peppermint tea before bed is brilliant for settling the stomach and for making you relax and be drousy too.

Food wise, I halved portions of pasta/rice/chips and subbed them for salad or veg. I subbed sandwichs for soup and a roll or salad (soups like minestrone or veg soup are tasty and good for you). For dinners I eat more lean white meat now (chicken/turkey) and am about to add some quorn products as apparently they are low fat but tasty, so thinking sausages and mince? I can't abide plain meals tho so I do marinade everything in something, like piri piri chicken, bbq turkey but I water the sauce down and oven cook it so it's not as calorific but still has a flavour if that makes sense. 

I still had to move though, diet alone will lose you weight but super slowly. I started really gently, going for walks, exercise programs (yoga/pilates) I could do at home. Have you thought about adding any of that as well?

• Like 1

Just a couple more thoughts, Leanna.  When I have salad, I am careful what dressing I use.  You can find some without high fructose corn syrup that have a lot of flavor.  I like Maple Grove Farms Asiago & Garlic dressing.   2 T = 40 calories  http://www.maplegrove.com/products/dressings/original-dressings/asiago-and-garlic

Also, during the day eat often, but small meals and you will never be hungry.  I eat every 2-3 hours and never feel deprived.  Buy whatever fruit and veggies are on sale each week.  Before you go shopping, look at the sales flyers and plan meals, make a list and stick to it.  Half the battle is figuring out what good foods you like.  It might take a bit to find healthy things you enjoy, but once you do it's worth it.  I found that I love avocados.  I cut one in half, sprinkle a little sea salt and pepper and eat each half with a spoon - like it's an ice cream lol

I don't eat a lot of bread, but I like to have a slice of toast here and there with a tablespoon of peanut butter.  I use Arnold Double Protein bread and it is so satisfying.  

Leanna, gradually you will find out what works for you and your diet will continually evolve.  I've found that starchy foods don't agree with me, so I almost never eat pasta anymore.

• Like 1

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the advice! 

Jen, I picked up Special K cereal yesterday and that's what I'm eating now. I also picked up some apples, bananas, and pears. 

I was going to pick up some frozen fish, but the only fish they had was covered in batter and I figured that wasn't diet-friendly.

Marti, I try to be fairly active. I don't drive, so I walk everywhere. Some days, I just go to the mall and walk around. I hate walking just to walk, so if I'm on a mission or if I have a destination, I can walk for hours.

I have a gym membership that I'm going to start using starting tomorrow. I'm very nervous. I know it's all in my head and that no one at the gym is going to stare at me and gawk, but it's a huge fear of mine. 

At home, I do Zumba, Just Dance, Wii Sports, dance videos, fitness videos, etc. I'm addicted to Fitness Blender. I love doing their stretching videos. 

I really need to start utilizing MyFitnessPal again. I just suck at tracking my calories. Even with a food scale, I don't feel like I'm always accurate about how much I eat. Sometimes it's hard to measure everything. And if I burn a lot of calories, how much do I need to eat back?

I think my biggest problem is the snacking at night. I don't overeat during the day, but as soon as I'm relaxing at night, I snack.

I have mostly cut soda out, which was a serious addiction of mine... I lived off Coke for a while. Now I use our SodaStream and make carbonated water that I can add lime and what not to. 

I really struggle trying to find out what's good and what's not. I think I'm going to ask my doctor for a referral to a nutritionist because I know calories aren't the only thing I should be looking at. 

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the advice! 

Jen, I picked up Special K cereal yesterday and that's what I'm eating now. I also picked up some apples, bananas, and pears. 

I was going to pick up some frozen fish, but the only fish they had was covered in batter and I figured that wasn't diet-friendly.

Marti, I try to be fairly active. I don't drive, so I walk everywhere. Some days, I just go to the mall and walk around. I hate walking just to walk, so if I'm on a mission or if I have a destination, I can walk for hours.

I have a gym membership that I'm going to start using starting tomorrow. I'm very nervous. I know it's all in my head and that no one at the gym is going to stare at me and gawk, but it's a huge fear of mine. 

At home, I do Zumba, Just Dance, Wii Sports, dance videos, fitness videos, etc. I'm addicted to Fitness Blender. I love doing their stretching videos. 

I really need to start utilizing MyFitnessPal again. I just suck at tracking my calories. Even with a food scale, I don't feel like I'm always accurate about how much I eat. Sometimes it's hard to measure everything. And if I burn a lot of calories, how much do I need to eat back?

I think my biggest problem is the snacking at night. I don't overeat during the day, but as soon as I'm relaxing at night, I snack.

I have mostly cut soda out, which was a serious addiction of mine... I lived off Coke for a while. Now I use our SodaStream and make carbonated water that I can add lime and what not to. 

I really struggle trying to find out what's good and what's not. I think I'm going to ask my doctor for a referral to a nutritionist because I know calories aren't the only thing I should be looking at. 

I have social anxiety disorder, once you actually go to the gym you will realize that no one is looking, and no one is judging. People are all there doing there own thing. :)

Carbonation of any kind isn't good, try to cut that out altogether. :( I know, I know it sucks. 

• Like 1

Yep, no one at the gym is in the slightest bit interested, but hey, we ladies like a panic :)

There's lots of nutrion talks on you tube, I found loads when I searched (same as you, wasn't sure). Also books, library had loads on healthy eating - who knew! 

I would not be able to count calories, but I can use my fitness pal with no issues (big up as I'm rubbish at computers) and they have the exercise section which works out how much to eat back too. It works great when you use it :)

I'm reading what Colleen says with interest too. Bread seems to pile weight on me. I used to have toast and a sandwich and the days I go bread free now are more because it makes me feel sluggish, I only have pasta once a week now for the same reason too. Sure I read the body finds it hard to process it. I love to snack on fruit, but stuff I like, strawberries/melon/grapes - I'm not an apple girl so try some fruits to see which ones taste good for you, you eat it if you like it. 

• Like 1

I have social anxiety disorder, once you actually go to the gym you will realize that no one is looking, and no one is judging. People are all there doing there own thing. :)

Carbonation of any kind isn't good, try to cut that out altogether. :( I know, I know it sucks. 

That's true. They're in "the zone". I hate the idea of going alone, but I was going with my cousin at one point and when I go to the gym, I like to get in 1-2 hours. She only ever wanted to stay 45 minutes, so I just got frustrated going with her, lol.

Oh darn. I've been ordering club soda when we go out because soda is so bad for you. I guess I'll have to find something else to drink!

Yep, no one at the gym is in the slightest bit interested, but hey, we ladies like a panic :)

There's lots of nutrion talks on you tube, I found loads when I searched (same as you, wasn't sure). Also books, library had loads on healthy eating - who knew! 

I would not be able to count calories, but I can use my fitness pal with no issues (big up as I'm rubbish at computers) and they have the exercise section which works out how much to eat back too. It works great when you use it :)

I'm reading what Colleen says with interest too. Bread seems to pile weight on me. I used to have toast and a sandwich and the days I go bread free now are more because it makes me feel sluggish, I only have pasta once a week now for the same reason too. Sure I read the body finds it hard to process it. I love to snack on fruit, but stuff I like, strawberries/melon/grapes - I'm not an apple girl so try some fruits to see which ones taste good for you, you eat it if you like it. 

That reminds me, we bought grapes earlier this week. I should eat those! Thanks Marti, lol.

Good idea about YouTube. I never thought to search for videos. That might be easier than going to a nutritionist. I've been focusing so much on calories that it's actually been kind of detrimental to my diet. I seem to have gained weight because I'm not looking at any of the other nutrition facts. 

I love bread, especially cheese bread. So, so bad for me. But I keep buying it because Steve likes it. That's the problem with living with someone who is so skinny and has good metabolism. We always have unhealthy snacks in the apartment. 

Hello pretty Bride to Be.

Here are some thoughts for you that I try to live by.

Eat clean.  Eat fresh in season when possible.  

Drink enough Water.

No soda.  No corn syrup.

Fruit juices are notorious with this.  

Welch's Grape juice is ONLY grape juice and not terribly $$$

Corn syrup is everywhere and NOT our friend, for sure.

Honey Honey Honey, honey.  

Local honey may even help with allergies

and is a FOOD with minerals/vitamins and everything.  

I don't trust the 'sugar free' chemical.  

Tastes weird to me and makes me afraid.

Have raw sugar if needed.  

I have a spoonful of honey to help medicine go down.

Whole grains like Coleen said, steel cut oats for oatmeal.  brown rice, wild rice.

(NO rice-a-roni $$$$ and suspect flavor packet)

Fresh fruits and veg  always when available

or Frozen whole plain...No sauce or flavor packets.

Make your own salad dressings, easy easy easy. and good good good.

Flavor your big ol heart out with
Beloved Garlic!

Lots of herbs !  

Bulk dried herbs.  go online...a lot cheaper than rip off bottles of McCormick or whoever.

Mexican groceries are good source of cheap dried herbs at decent price. Dried Beans too.

Nothing in Cans, No Meals in Boxes, No Bottles.  except for Olive oil, tuna, whole tomatoes, hot sauce, capers, more I forget.

I used to have beans in cans but, now not so much.  

Don't like the shit they are preserved in that even rinsing doesn't really get that sodium (to me) taste out.  

Frozen, fresh or dried beans for me.

Crock-pots for stock and soup to freeze.

Get a juicer, yum yum yum. If you can wait, put a juicer on your Wedding registry gift list !

This is pretty much my kitchen and is really all I know.

I was a happy hippie girl/homesteader.

A simple  good and the cheap way to eat healthy

that doesn't take that much more time.

For true ! 

It will be fun time with your new husband in the kitchen cooking together, shucking beans together, laughing and eating well.

A recipe for a happy marriage....just ask Julia Childs  !!!

Now, don't get me wrong.

I do eat junk from time to time.

But, I love fresh and homemade....homemade with LOVE the best.

YUM YUM YUM

and bon appetit,

your friend,

S

• Like 3

Thanks S!

Lots of really great advice. :) Thank you.

We love to cook together and I even enjoy cooking for him! Before we met, I ate things I could microwave or boxed/canned items. He introduced me to the joy of cooking and I spent years watching my mom cook, so it didn't take me long for me to pick up on some things.

Now, I do have a question for you. I eat a lot of kidney beans, but I always buy the canned kidney beans. Are those okay, or should I buy dried? If I buy dried, how do I go about cooking them? Sorry, I'm sure this is pretty basic knowledge!

The one thing I've been trying to do lately is reduce my sodium intake, so whenever I cook, I don't add salt to anything. If people want salt, they can add it themselves. That way, I can kind of monitor how much salt I actually use. 

I was using a lot of bottled dressings, but have started mixing balsamic vinegar and a dash of olive oil together for dressing. Do you have any suggestions for dressings I could try? I'm not really into creamy dresses, so vinaigrettes are what I usually enjoy.

I'll probably pick up some raw sugar. I am allergic to honey. I don't know if I am allergic to all kinds, but I know if I eat honey, my throat swells up and it causes my ears to itch like crazy. Is Stevia any good? Splenda? 

• Like 1

Hi L,

Get a package (usually a pound) of dried Kidney beans in the dried bean aisle of store.

Directions are on packet.  soak over night cook next day for quite a few hours.

kinda a pain especially in the summer.  Crock pots are excellent for this.  

It is not a hard and fast rule for me with beans....I TRY to start with dried beans.

But, you know....I'm hungry !  I want to eat SOON,  open a damn CAN, you goofball (me).

Chick Peas, Garbanzos for hummus (listening Aine ?) are easy and pretty quick dried beans.

Just cook 'em, no soaking needed.  Lentils too.

Oh No !  Poor Bebe, allergic to Honey...oh no !  NO Honey for YOU.  damn ! 

maple syrup ($$$$ but worth it for the treat)

molasses

brown sugar.

Reasonable amounts of sugar is fine...it is just that 'they' put it in EVERYTHING (sweet & Savory !)

Sodium is like that too !  It is all over REFINED foods.

I have sea salt but don't salt when cooking either.

For a dish needing salt I often use a good amount of Celery (minced or juiced)

but, watch out for too much Sodium in Celery too.

You are perfect with your salad dressings !

yum yum yum.  

vary with different vinegars (some I make by throwing hot peppers or herbs in them) different herbs...

You are already working with this kinda food, Leanna .

I think I just preached to The Choir !!! :D 

Love you, eat well.

(edited to add) When using canned beans I make sure I rinse really really really good.

and really really really good again.

even, soaking them for a very short time and changing the water until it is clear.

The sodium in this 'bean water' from the can tastes really strong, to me.

• Like 1

Hey S,

Thanks! I'll buy some dried beans the next time I go grocery shopping. I am so happy I bought a crockpot. Love how handy it is!

I hear you. Some nights, I just want to eat something out of a can or something frozen. Last night, I really wanted pizza pockets, but I resisted. 

I love hummus! I am going to start making my own. I've just been lazy, lol. Oh, and lentils are good too. :) No soaking required? Even better!

Maple syrup is a good idea! Mmm, local maple syrup is the best.

I have been adding just cream to my coffee. I used to be a double/double kind of girl, but am trying to reduce all my sugars. It took a while for me to adjust to coffee without sugar, but I have done fairly well. Now I just have to wean myself off the cream, hehe.

Excellent tip about the celery -- thank you!

I'm going to start making my own soups instead of eating the canned stuff!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am loving this rice/broc/cheese frozen thing. 

Like 240 cals total and sooo good.  I'm even having it for breakfast right now.  Because I am a grown up and I can eat what I want for breakfast.

I'm starving, but don't really have any "breakfasty" food on hand. :( I am trying not to cave and eat bacon, but it's so damn tempting!

I love the "I am a grown up and can eat what I want." Lol!

• Like 1