Repercussions

beacon

Just got off the phone with my neighbor who has CPOD and lung cancer , poor thing. Just listening to her discuss how she cannot walk from the bathroom to the chair without steroids is very distressing. She smoked for many years and has been quit for many as well.

It takes you by surprise, COPD does.  My grandmother was diagnosed in her 80's, she quit when she was 50.  It is no longer an elderly person's illness, I was diagnosed at 37 and judging by my symptoms had it for a few years.  For those unfamiliar with COPD, it stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder - both chronic bronchitis and emphysema.  Together.  At the same time.  It's no joke.  Quit now kids, the sooner you quit the better your chances of avoiding it. 

• Like 3

Emphysema.....it distroys your lungs slowly over the years.....no cure.....

As most of you know here....my hubby has to spend 16 hours a day on oxygen.....

He spends many a time in hospital.chest infections,pheumonia.....

This brought on by smoking.....

If anyone reads this who is sitting on the fence.....

Come and join us on the quit train.....

You can do it.....we have.....

((Beacon)). These things scare me silly. And I'm a carer for a COPD sufferer... 38 and my life is on hold, for years, while I support my Mum. I don't doubt that was a terribly hard conversation. Let it strengthen you as it does me. We will do all we can to make sure it's not us. xx

• Like 1

She was so active, robust, from Holland with good health. She lived through WW2 as a young girl and married later an American pilot in the US Air force. I remember after she quit but I was smoking I used to give her a cigarette every now and then or a puff. I did not know how dangerous that was for her. She eventually stopped doing this as she knew it was bad.

Terrifying, but unfortunately reality for some. I smoked for 5 years and I may not be out of the woods. I have watched people with COPD and emphysema suffer. Lung cancer scares me to no end. 

I'm sorry about your friend [[[[beacon]]]]]].

My mother has COPD. It is horrible, every cold turns into pneumonia. She can barely walk 3 feet without having to rest and catch her breath. She smoked for over 35 years. She was forced to quit when she was diagnosed 5 years ago. 

Don't wait until it is too late, quit now! 

COPD is a frightening disease. My mother suffered from it. She didn't live long enough for the COPD to actually take her life, but her smoking surely accelerated the heart disease that did take her life.

Sorry about your neighbor Beacon. 

So sorry about your neighbor Beacon, and for everyone and anyone who has suffered or watched a loved one suffer from COPD.  Luckily, we have quit, but unfortunately we are not safe from all that bad stuff.  I guess no one really is.  All those people years ago who didn't even smoke, but were subjected to so much second hand smoke, they all have the same chances of getting something too.  I pray that we all remain safe, and hope we all stay quit!

• Like 1

She was so active, robust, from Holland with good health. She lived through WW2 as a young girl and married later an American pilot in the US Air force. I remember after she quit but I was smoking I used to give her a cigarette every now and then or a puff. I did not know how dangerous that was for her. She eventually stopped doing this as she knew it was bad.

This s sad beacon...

Even when we quit....years later we can still suffer from these illnesses,this scares me too....

Xxxxx

Beacon, you and anyone else who sees and lives with COPD on a daily basic has that real reminder what smoking does to you!

Those of us who do not have this very real reminder need to read stuff like this written by people we know! 

Sorry about your neighbor.

• Like 2

Beacon, you and anyone else who sees and lives with COPD on a daily basic has that real reminder what smoking does to you!

Those of us who do not have this very real reminder need to read stuff like this written by people we know! 

Sorry about your neighbor.

Agreed REZ.

That was one of the things that helped me quit... reading up about all the horrible health problems that can arise from smoking and witnessing some loved ones suffering.