Strange urges

tocevoD

Went out Friday 18th August and got through that massive hurdle after not smoking for near on 50 days. These last couple of days have been my biggest urges though. For the reason I don't know. Since Saturday 19th I've had my 7yo son staying with me and these last couple of days he's sent me a bit round the bend. He's going away with his mum and bro tomorrow Monday 28th. I'm back in work Tuesday 29th so may go back the gym after work. The gym and eating well focuses me even more. I'm just a little worried with these urges, they've been pretty strong. I think my resilience to the thoughts is stronger now. Is this just a challenge? The dying dopamine levels through nicotine inaction? Must keep up the fight. Nicotine is the enemy in all its forms.

• Like 3

It's the addiction trying to lure you back in @tocevoD, don't fall for it! You are stronger and smarter than it, good on you for posting. That helps weaken its power too. You got this. Use your tools, i.e. suck on a piece of candy, do something you normally don't smoke doing, use my JAC if needed. You got this :) 

• Like 3

Sounds very familiar.

Just as you think you are over the worst and sailing along fairly comfortably; Wham!! Something happens that immediately makes you think of smoking to make a situation better (likely you used cigs in the past to calm you when you were with your son and things were ... well, let's just say busy?)

This is completely normal so don't worry too much about it. Put your early quit strategies into play and beat back these recent, unexpected strong urges. They will eventually stop happening once your addiction understands; YOU WON & it lost the war against addiction!

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 4

Yeah, the urge to smoke can ambush us at really strange times… that’s the nature of addiction. Sometimes it’s an obvious trigger, but other times it’s more random and sneaky.  You did the right thing by posting here and talking it through.  50 days is a lot of hard work and a great foundation. Stay strong and don’t throw it away! 

• Like 3

As a smoker we use any excuse to smoke..the suns out  the suns not..

My little son is staying over ...

You get the picture..

Us Quitters have to adjust to life 

Without our crutch...

As time passes this gets easier..until it becomes the norm.

50 days is a great quit  but a early one too..be kind to yourself ..

We are always here to help you on your journey ..as long as you keep in your seat 

Your doing great .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jillar said:

How are you doing @tocevoD? Hopefully better?

Yeah feeling better Jillar. I think last night was the initial big one. I think it was because I knew my son was going home yesterday so I had my brain taking that as a signal to smoke again a few days ago. The build upto yesterday had started a few days ago as I say.

I feel better today because the urge to go and get a packet was batted away. It was strong, I must say. I'd had a few beers so there's the trigger. That's twice now after beers that its been batted away so maybe can take that as a positive? 

Reading up on the effects of nicotine on the brain at the moment so basically know that the body is craving increased dopamine levels that it would get from nicotine. 

It's not getting fed. Haha.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Just what I needed to read today- coming up for nearly 7months smoke free but really bad cravings for the last few days. I won’t smoke but I’m finding that I’m constantly trying to get the same sort of fix I got from smoking - feeling grumpy. Husband still smoking and I feel annoyed with him for just constantly standing outside smoking - in his defence - he smokes less than I ever did! Posting here as I am definitely not going to crack but why after all this time am I still not settled?

• Like 5

Hi SP..

Your quit is still very much in the early days ..you are just about 7 months in …on your journey ..

yes you will still have urges …it’s what you do with those urges …

The more you keep on fighting ..the easier it gets …

There are no negatives here …It’s all positive …

Your heading for the Lido Deck 

Well Done x

• Like 5

I hear you SP…it definitely sucks at times.  I had a weird realization the other week that I mentioned in another post but finding something “comfy cozy” to help relinquish the crave/thought/urge in the moment definitely helps our body find that the relief we think we get from cigs can happen with something that’s comforting…. a deep breath, a flop on the couch, a heated blanket, a clean room, etc.  idk that’s what I’ve found w my quit.  You’re doing so so well, just keep going gf ❤️

• Like 6