So whatcha doing?

Brioski

• 3 weeks later...

Going to see the Toronto Blue Jays play the Chicago Cubs (baseball) at the Skydome in downtown Toronto tomorrow afternoon.

It's a whole bus load of us going from one of the local bars here in town. They drive - we drink 🍻 Can't beat that!

Should be a great time 🥳

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's a new one 🤔

A load of 5 million bees spilled as truck carrying them lost control while moving the hives from one location to another.

Cops had to rely on local bee-keepers to come and assist with collecting the bees back up. Not sure how you would get the bees all back in their hives but I know one thing ... not going anywhere near that place any time soon!!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/load-of-5-million-bees-falls-off-truck-in-burlington-ont-police-issue-warning/ar-AA1fZHnS?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=56c1965dee984ecfb5260e59b6de0619&ei=26

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Gus said:

Awww man. I hope this is resolved favorably for the bees. The world needs every bee it can get. 

On tonight's news they said they only lost about 10,000 bees. Not sure how they would know that but, they are leaving many of the wooden beehive things where the accident happened saying that more bees will find their way back to the hives over the next few days.

I tend to believe that because I recently had to take out a hornet nest that was attached to a large tree limb that broke off in a wind storm and the bees were still hanging around the area two & three days later, looking for their nest I suppose.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I went fishing with a long time buddy. We don't see each other much these days cuz we live a good 1.5 hour drive apart but we try & get out fishing once a year at least.

I drove to his place and we left from there to the boat launch which is about an hour & a half drive. I know he smokes but I don't usually drive in the same vehicle as him so no biggie but yesterday I was in his truck so his rules I suppose. I wasn't gonna say anything but oh man, the smell of those cigarettes were really quite strong. I used to kind of like the smell of freshly smoked cigs but not anymore. They were pretty disgusting 🤢

Not only does he smoke cigarettes but he alternates between those and smoking'joints. I know he's a pot smoker too but again ... when you're right beside him in the cab of a truck ... WOW, overwhelming! And here's the other thing I didn't know, he now vapes as well 😬

I was sort of amazed at the way he coordinated it all. When to light a smoke, when to smoke a doobie and when to suck on the vape pen.

Of course I didn't say anything cuz as we all know, talking to any smoker about their indulgence never goes well. They just shut down and shut you out so there's really no point but, he did ask me at one point if I had used any product to help me quit or if I just went cold turkey. I told him my story and basically just told him there's no magic potion that's gonna do the work for you. You really, really have to want to quit and put in the work for the long haul.

I kind of gathered he was starting to think about quitting. I certainly hope so because he's in his mid-50's now and has been smoking ever since I've known him. I think he's got some health issues now and they are likely linked directly to smoking but he's pretty hard-core so it's not gonna be easy for him and that bothers me cuz he's a bit of a dreamer ... focus & hard work are NOT his forte 😞 

• Sad 5

Wow @Reciprocity, he doesn't give his poor lungs a break. It reminds me of me back in the day when I would take a couple hits of a bowl of weed then go smoke a cigarette, then come in and take a couple more hits. Well, you see where I now....................... 

I hope your friend wisens up before it's too late 😞 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jillar said:

Wow @Reciprocity, he doesn't give his poor lungs a break. It reminds me of me back in the day when I would take a couple hits of a bowl of weed then go smoke a cigarette, then come in and take a couple more hits. Well, you see where I now....................... 

I hope your friend wisens up before it's too late 😞 

I'm pretty sure it's already too late for him in terms of some sort of lung issues. I noticed this year he's coughing a lot more than he ever did before yet his consumption has not reduced. As you well know, continuing along that road will only make things worse ... much worse.

I'm afraid he may be someone who just doesn't have it in him to put up with the initial sacrifices and do the really hard work it takes to quit successfully. His life situation has been such that he's never had to do that in other areas of his life. (Dad/Mom own a company where he has a job - notice I didn't say 'works'? I wonder if parents who do that sort of thing with their kids, protecting them from life, ever understand that they're doing them a huge disservice? Adversity builds character!)

• Like 3

@Reciprocity I hope your friend can quit at some point.  Maybe hearing your story will have a bigger impact than you think.  And I am still at that stage where I do enjoy the smell of a freshly lit cig.  The smell of weed or vapes however make me quite nauseous so I get where you were at on that truck ride.  Have a great weekend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1