Caught the low life egg eater

Cbdave

G’day 

Have chickens and keep them locked in their pen till mid morning otherwise the crows take the eggs. Noted a few broken eggshells still and was thinking that the girls might be eating their own eggs. Till this morning.

Heard one of the girls boasting the way chooks do when they lay. Went straight in the pen and found the culprit in the act of eating a fresh layed egg.

Bloody bluey..... a big fat blue tongue lizard. I’ve looked on them as a friend in my garden. They love snails and insects and keep them in control. I’ve encouraged them and have pieces of down pipe in the gardens so they have a place to hide.

Well this particular one has a new home in a friends garden up the road. He is pleased to have it and has already put some pipe in the garden to make it welcome.

Ive got others in the garden and as long as they keep away from the eggs we are good.

includes a pic of a bluey. Not the culprit didn’t think to take a pic.

Chris

65CA3E29-598D-4CA0-9D2B-B00AEC32AF62.png

• Like 5

G’day 

We had one that used to slip under the door in the laundry and hide under the pile of dirty cloths waiting to be washed. My wife would have a fit when she picked up the cloths to put them in the machine. They hiss as they show you the blue tongue, scares even me when your not expecting it.

That one got moved to the side of the neighbours house. Seen it or perhaps one of the children sunning itself on the same path just reciently.

With a 15 year old blind dog and no cat they are safe in my yard. There main danger is from birds like crows and Kookaburra catching them sunbaking. 

Chris

40CAA5D6-EDD8-4704-AB8E-B897CE83D061.png

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Cbdave said:

Chris

That thing looks pretty big to slip under the door.  I would definitely be unnerved with that in the laundry.  My son would have probably brought them in as pets!

I get such an education on this site!

• Like 5

G’day

My house is a “Queenslander” so it’s a house built on stilts to catch the breezes. Of course everyone fills the underside in. The laundry a fill in. Only had louvre windows when I moved in and the slab floor has a big fall directed to the door cause it’s got no floor drain. The gape under the doors about an inch but it’s enough for a lizard looking for a cool dark spots to spend the day till the evening till it can hunt smaller animals, insects and snails. Great on snails .....no snail bait is allowed at my place.

Hope everyone’s likes posts like these, I live in a pretty interesting place in the world. 

Chris

• Like 7

Love this...was reading the first post and going please don't be a snake, please don't be a snake....

My dad has bluies in his yard...has one who lives on the opposite side of the path to the strawberry patch...whrn they're in season, every bloody morning when dad's out having his cuppa he watches the bluey walk across the path, into the strawberry patch and then walk back with one in his mouth....Dad figures it's a small fee for no snails and bugs.

Snail pallets are banned at me dad's too.

• Like 4

How lovely, and how lucky you are to see creatures like this up close in your garden.  Australia has beautiful wildlife. When I was there, I was in awe at the water dragons in the garden of my husband's Aunts house, who lives in Coffs Harbour.  I loved seeing the kangaroos lolling about on the golf course, and the koalas free in the trees. The yellow crested cockatoos were cheeky,  stealing cake of us haha. You people from Oz are soooo lucky.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

G’day 

Not just bats they are known here as flying fox.  And like most people it’s a bit of a love hate thing.

Nothing like have a bunch of flying fox noisily arguing over and 1/2 eating your last ripe paw paw at 12:00 at night. 

You get into a habit of checking your car each morning for flying fox poo. Being fruit eaters its highly acidic. If you don’t check dayly and remove it it will strip the paint down to the metal.

On the other side of the coin.

Flying foxes are not only the big pollinators as they eat blossom and flower fruit and necture. They also spread seeds far and wide. They are the planters and replanters of the forests and rainforests and they will be doing there job come the finish of this drought and fires.

The drought was tough on them this year. The gum tree blossom are their food during the winter and there was precious little this year. Spring came around and they had their babies and as they carried them with them when young the little mums had a hard time both sucking and carrying their young. 

Seen a couple dead on my morning walk. And one little baby being rescued by a wild life carer from its dead mom. Poor little beggar.

So like most folk I’ve taking to tying up some fruit in the trees. Leave the golden cane “date” seeds on the palms. Bugger the mess it’s a small price and you’ve got to share on this planet!

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I Noticed a lot of trees cut around there, especially around the council offices, I guess they dont like the bat poo on their cars!!!

I never saw one of those frogs, which are classed as pests in your country. I saw many of them made into purses, which I regret not buying one now, as at first I thought they were gross, but sort of cute at the same time. I'l get one next visit.

• Like 3