Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Still winning

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Still winning

  1. The problem with all of this quitting is how differently everyone reacts. From physically to mentally. Re the cough tho I didn't have one after a few days (35-40 per day here) and then it came back after a month and it still hangs around a bit (I did get my lungs checked at around 3 months because of this but nothing there). So perhaps the cough is coming later but I hope not for your sake. I understand what you're saying. It can feel like you are repeatedly hitting yourself with the health hammer, like, why didn't I notice I was doing this andmaybe causing damage etc. The thing is, you've done the best thing medically by choosing to stop now. Concentrate on that for a while, 19 days is amazing! And yes, there isn't one, there is always a pack...so it's no longer an option. Be proud of how far you've come! Make sure you are being kind and gentle to yourself for a while, after all this whole time is you healing yourself and healing needs a bit of time and support. Make sure you plan in treating yourself too, nothing like seeing the fruits of your quitting labour to motivate you. x
  2. Hi and welcome in :) It feels really strange doesn't it, the limbo feeling. So let me say you are a non smoker. There is no time limit, there is only smoker or non smoker, so you are already in the best choice of camp :) It can feel over whelming so slow it down for yourself, just today, don't smoke today and for today, find other things to do, get a plan in place so if you think smoking your next thought is something else. For instance, wake up, get coffee and start thinking cigarette but have prepared for this, so you wipe your kitchen work surfaces... it takes the sting out of the trigger. It's only our brains reminding us that we would have smoked here ...no harm in a thought...start getting new healthier thoughts. Exercise is a win. It releases natural endorphins, the feel good feelings and youwill notice such an improved rate of breathing and energy coming up that it makes me excited for you! Welcome again. xx
  3. Pleased to hear today feels more positive. It does seem after a tough day, we give ourselves an easier day...it helps to remember that. It also helps to treat yourself to nice things. It can be a magazine, or a scented candle if costs are tough. I always liked something I could see/smell. One woman bought herself a new phone, I thought that was pretty cool. Doesn't matter what it is, the point is you should reward yourself so when it feels good or bad, you can say, see what I was able to buy instead. Plus, you're fabulous for quitting and fabulous people deserve treats :)
  4. oh, he's got a weird belly button... no one else notice that??
  5. At the risk of sounding greedy... your food always looks awesome pippa but it's such a small amount?? Do you eat little and often instead of main meals?? I'm worried you'll be fading away over there....
  6. 24 is great actually, I loved that. Chris is watching house, it's a medical series, looks good. I'm watching Vikings, dunno if that's on netflix tho as izzy wizzy stuff happens and the man makes it appear on the tv screen. That's awesome! Assuming you did game of thrones, disturbing but great. I tried breaking bad and am it's only failure so far, but I ditched SOA too so I just don't care lol. Wonder if lost girl is on netflix, that's a great otherworldly one, light enough but fun. Not bad for a girl who mostly watches how to build a house tv :)
  7. Has anybody told you lately that you are simply amazing!! You have quit smoking, you are officially a non smoker, woohoo!!! :D As to how you feel. Quitting is a tough but worth it gig, I promise. I want to take a moment to share my post back on day 21: I am up and down like a yoyo today. I am genuinely sorry too, I accidently misunderstood and upset someone on here today, and I'm now too worried to respond to any other threads in case I'm just "off kilter". Nothing really to say apart from wow, managing these emotions is really really hard. I feel like a mess the last few days and don't know how to shake it. One minute I'm fine, next minute I'm not. I'm sure it's wrong to say this but I miss having something that gave me space! I do not want or need to smoke but how I'm ever going to get a grip now I don't is beyond me! It felt like a tough gig. All of us only stayed quit because we knew one thing, if it stayed like this forever then no one would quit right? They can't all have been sadists was all I came up with! So we hold on and yes, totally be proud of how far you have come... Who knows why it happens but someone (sorry, no idea who, maybe Markus?) said we have to find our new normal. But before that can occur we need to shift all the chemicals, not just the nicotine. Perhaps at some stages we simply cry it out? One thing I can honestly say for sure, after the emotions came a strength, an inner strength of purpose that it would be ok...it was, it is ok. It's great now. I have no idea if this is coming out right...I want to say don't be afraid of this stage, it's a growth part of the quit and is as valid as shifting the nicotine. It builds our resolve, our strength of charecter gets a boost and bam...it get's a bit easier again! Also never forget the good stuff. How much clearer is your breathing. Now you can sleep again, your energy levels will raise. You will need less sleep to feel more rested than you ever have before. Absolutely marvellous things start to happen. Yes there are emotional days and days you wish could be easier...but that's life right. You start to learn that too. People told me to embrace the suck of it, the bad bits...that strength can be gained by squaring your shoulders and saying "yeah trigger, bring it, you can't have me". The more you do that, the easier it gets to knock those thoughts out and the more good moments you have. So I think you're amazing! I think you are doing the absolutely best thing you can do, it's a true gift you're giving yourself and even if it needs a bit more time, it does get easier and you will be eternally grateful that you held on later. No romancing, that helps no one, just distract yourself, move yourself forward, remember why you are not a smoker...why you CHOSE non smoker and keep marching. You're doing grand!! x
  8. Have fun beauty but a note from the wise... If you can't be good be careful ;) x
  9. Loving this celebration RF, great work!! Massive congrats on 2 months free and love reading what you write. x
  10. Massivecongrats Mason. Hope the quits are going well :) x
  11. 3rd smear reminder letter today...for a cervix I don't fcuking have you insensitive motherfcukingtwuntyarseholes. Receptionist looked pretty stunned when I walked in after the ex picked up the kids this eve. Slammed down the reminder with I survive without a cervix cause that piece of shit tried to poison me so if you want to check it, you're far too late. Check my surgical records and update my records for the love of fcuking god...and stormed out. Just don't need anymore shit right now!!
  12. Aw Laura, horrid to hear, what an awful day. Sorry you thought smoking might help too. It's never the answer. Sugary tea helps shock far better and less harmful love. Pleased you're back on. Massive hugs, truly does sound very hard. x
  13. Tea

    Still winning replied to bakon's topic in Food For Thought
    You have some 2% stuff, that's our semi skimmed milk. I think in certain shops you get PG Tips black ...that's our middle of the road tea. Earl Grey and English breakfast etc have a bitter ish after taste I always think, it's not comforting like tea should be :)
  14. Tea

    Still winning replied to bakon's topic in Food For Thought
    Naf = Rubbish. Don't worry mate, you'll learn the language in no time I promise :) Builders tea = the tea for the workmen, surely you're not so warm and cosy in your nee naw car you don't see the chaps outside toiling away, building stuff... Earl Grey, really, it's for the posh pretenders who have cute little cup and saucers...move away from the ponce tea. Think you better just stick to coffee really, it sounds like it's all going horribly wrong! You brought 50 shades into a tea conversation, really? Wrongun lol.
  15. Some people just make themselves feel better by making others feel bad and he really sounds like one of those. You have two choices, stick with it and see if it gets easier or punch him in the nose :) I don't think it makes you unfit, every type of exercise required different muscles to be stronger, so it will add to your strength for sure, if you want to carry on. Enjoy!!
  16. Tea

    Still winning replied to bakon's topic in Food For Thought
    Oh excitement, tea is my thing :) It's all in the quality. So naf quality tea bag will take way longer to infuse. Also do you want "builders tea" which is strong, or normal, which has a shorter time span. For a cup, bag in, hot water in stir and add your milk. Stir until it turns the desired colour. Builders tea, perfectly ok to put the teabag, milk and a whackload of sugar in, add hot water, go away, go talk to ya buddy forgetting you were making a brew...come back, looks like the teabag has lost the will to live and voila :) Teapot, 2 or 3 teabags, depending on how quick you'll drink it.
  17. Oh pringles are yummy ...I buy them for the kids... yes, yes I do :)
  18. Sheesh, I got nothin for 9 but I do adore Aine 9!! Much love :) x
  19. Long ol practise quit twinny, sorry you threw yourself off. Would have been well in an SOS for you, so you know. Sending strength for tomorrow cause you know what...weren't most of our "firsts" either! No chickening out Mrs, you absolutely can do this. Much love. x
  20. fcuk it! whether it makes me "mystic and freaky" or not, tomorrow I carry on with my card readings no matter what the bloody judgement is! I have no idea why I even gave a shit and tried to cover it up. I fcuking hate living like this, I just wish it could be done and everyone could be happier...why does anyone even fcuking care what I'm doing, crack on with your own shitpit of a life!
  21. Hey One, Good job on the breaking of associations. Might help you to think of them as "triggers" rather than "cravings". A trigger is simply a thought process that occurs when you repeat a situation you hvae faced before. Whereas a craving felt like a calling to something I didn't want! It's easier to keep perspective with a triggers I think. The biggest win in a quit is splitting all the associations with when we smoked so you did a great job with that dentist thought! It took a while to understand so I want to share with you, the quicker you replace where you would have smoked with a new pattern..the quicker your triggers will go.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.