Oneistoo's Quit Journal

Oneistoo

Hello, and thank you for letting me become a member of QuitTrain. :)

Despite what my ticker says, I haven't quite quit yet. I was all set to start this morning, but then it RAINED. I woke up to heavy rain, so my plan to go to the gym first thing in the morning was kaput. (Yet I managed to brave the rain to go get cigarettes - of course). 

I'm very addicted to cigarettes, to put it very mildly. Over the years I have quit many times, and for various periods, but I seem to end up smoking again. My triggers are deadlines, real or imagined. Then I fuel up with coffee and cigarettes and enter a different dimension altogether. It used to be fun, but now I'm really tired of it. I'm tired of the money I endlessly spend on cigarettes. I'm tired of trudging down to buy cigarettes at all times of the day and night. And yes, I know about the dangers to my health. 

I quit self-medicational drinking more than ten years ago via a quit drinking website, so I know the power of online support forums. I know how it can help to have a community of like-minded online friends who rally to your side when you are having difficulties. I look forward to meeting you all, and helping as much as I can.

I'm ready to quit again. :)

• Like 9

Hello Oneistoo and welcome to quittrain 

You can do this... you just need to quit and never take another puff again

Make a plan not to smoke and do not deviate from that... don't let excuses/reasons to smoke break that commitment

You have found a great place to be for support and a wealth of information

Again welcome... looking forward to seeing you around :)

hi oneistoo welcome to the train

we are all highly addicted too, we battle it one day at a time and in the beginning this is step by step, hour by hour, day by day until we find our easy peasy

it does get easier, education and support is key so please keep reading here and posting so the board can support you

ps i have to warn you there are some serious coffee drinkers here who take the art of brewing it and drinking it to a whole new ritual - you have been warned :)

welcome again

Welcome aboard One -and congrats on getting ready to quit for good this time - you are well ahead of most at this stage and not because you have quit 

before but because you have identified your triggers and have acknowledged the fact that you may need support as you did with your sobriety -that is what

we are here for - to support each other. Anyone had the power to quit when they are ready - this train has many successful quits going from people that were 

on your shoes not long ago - stay close to the board, post, and read as much as you can.  You can do this and we are here to support you.

Remember to pledge NOPE everyday - that is a great way to get started here as well and helps to reiterate one day at a time.

Hi and welcome aboard...great decision to quit...

There is heaps of good stuff here to read and plenty of games to keep you busy....

One day at a time...this is how it's done.....

You will have all the support you need to succeed.....

Stay close the board....it really does help....there is no such thing as posting too much...

Hi Oneistoo!  Welcome to the Quit Train.  We are all addicts.  You have to put the cigarettes down and say NOPE (not one puff ever) even if for an hour or sometimes a minute. We will be here to help you along but you will have to be the one to say NOPE!  Read and then read some more to get educated.

Thanks, guys, for the welcomes. 

And yes, I was being sarcastic when I said that I aborted my intended quit because it was raining.....because of the absurdity of it all. 

Anyway, I have some nasty sublingual nicotine pellets that can take the worst of the initial cravings. They're not like the lozenges, which I could eat like candy, they're distinctly unpleasant, so I'm motivated to quit them asap.

For a while I have felt that smoking somehow clouded up my brain. I saw a post here somewhere when I checked out the forum before becoming a member; it had three brain scans in it (in blue, I believe) that showed what happens to the brain when you smoke. I thought it perfectly illustrated how my brain feels when I smoke. Does anybody have a link to that post? I'd love to see it again.

Devildoll, thanks!!! Yes, that's the one. :) I'm going to copy it here so it won't disappear on me again.

I have this theory that the clogged receptors are causing my brain to feel foggy. I meditate, and smoking (all psychotropic agents, really, including sugar and caffeine) affect the ability to reach point consciousness.  

receptor_saturation.jpg

Welcome to the QT! 

Congratulations on your decision to take your life back! Get your "toolbox" together and remember that you can do this! I will look for that post for you. ;)

DevilDoll, I'm not entirely sure what you mean about "toolbox"?

DevilDoll, I'm not entirely sure what you mean about "toolbox"?

Twizzlers, pretzels, straws, veggies, cranberry or fruit juice, to flush the toxins and keep your sugars level. Favorite posts to read; things to keep yourself occupied through a crave.

Anything and everything to keep you from putting things in your mouth and setting them on fire. ;)

I have a question: There's a "Like this" button for replies to my original post. Is it customary to use it here? I mean, I really would hate to get into a "like" / showing-dislike-by-not-"liking" judgmental kind of extravaganza. So for me, the option is to either "like" all messages to me, or alternatively not "like" any messages. And yes, I don't want to hurt/displease/anger/upset anybody who has taken the time to respond to a post from me. 

Boy, I can see from my writing that it's been some hours since my last cigarette, LOL! :)

• Like 1

I have a question: There's a "Like this" button for replies to my original post. Is it customary to use it here? I mean, I really would hate to get into a "like" / showing-dislike-by-not-"liking" judgmental kind of extravaganza. So for me, the option is to either "like" all messages to me, or alternatively not "like" any messages. And yes, I don't want to hurt/displease/anger/upset anybody who has taken the time to respond to a post from me. 

Boy, I can see from my writing that it's been some hours since my last cigarette, LOL! :)

Whatever your preference is... if you want to use it then by all means... if you don't then you don't have to. No one is going to get offended here. :)