Week 3 Shingles

Dee

Well week three of the dam shingles it has been really hard and painful. However on a good note went to a concert over the weekend and it is really amazing when you are not smoking how much easier it is to enjoy things over 6 hours of music and no need to rush out to smoke made the music so much better. I haven't been around much but I am in hanging in there and hoping to feel like a human being again soon....... But wanted to share a good non smoker experience. :)

• Like 4

Sorry the shingles are still hanging around ..how awful...wishing you relief soon sweetheart...

But good news you have been out and about...and you could enjoy the concert ..without thinking when you can get another fix..well done xxx

• Like 2

Anyone that has had the chicken pox carries the virus so it is a nasty virus that travels up the nerves on one side of your body. You get headaches then break out with a lovely blistering rash which burns like crazy...... I only knew of shingles by the commercials for the vaccine. Which normally after 60 they really recommend. However I have met many people under 50 that have had the horrible pleasure. It can take months sometimes for it to heal....no sun no swimming managing work barley but being optimistic. Dr. assured me being young and healthy should be back to myself 2 months tops........the pain usually requires nerve blockers (thankfully I didn't need) serious pain killers which I did have to resort to to sleep antivirals, and Luckily mine is not all over my head eyes or chest .  No fun.

• Sad 1

• 2 years later...

Welcome Valerie and congratulations on taking back your freedom! As far as getting shingles from quitting is concerned I find this highly unlikely because shingles is from the chicken pox virus. I do know that shingles is sometimes brought on by stress so since quitting can be stressful then technically that s correct. 

These are very stressful times for everyone and not just quitters so if stress from quitting did contribute to you getting them it's still worth it in the end to be free from smoking, trust me on this!

• Like 2

Welcome Valerie.  I did not get shingles when I quit but have had them before  They are miserable.  I finally got the shot to prevent them.  Shingles come from stress and quitting smoking is stressful.  I can tell you quitting is the best decision you can make and I promise life will get better.  Hang around and get to know us all.  We would love to help guide on your quitting journey!

• Like 3

No shingles here from quitting but Mee's explanation sounds reasonable to me in terms of increased anxiety during the early days of quitting?

I hope you get over that sh*t quickly cuz I understand it's not at all pleasant. I also hope you decide to hang around to quit smoking. Lots of support and information available to you here :) 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 3

Welcome aboard ....

No Shingles here neither ....

Our bodies go through massive changes when we quit .....everyone if different ...

It's all temporary ....hoping you will soon feel much better ....

Read all the information here ....it will make your quit much stronger ....

• Like 2

It is highly unlikely that quitting smoking has caused shingles

It is very rare that the two are related in any way.

Quitting smoking is not to blame for much of anything except giving you a whole new life.

Any discomfort that quitting is directly responsible for is short lived and very manageable.

Here are some resources that address health issues while quitting

Life Goes On Without Smoking

• Like 3

In my numerous failed quit attempts I was always fishing for a medical excuse to start smoking again.  Things like: higher anxiety, worsening breathing problems, more sore throats, etc.  Even if these things truly are associated with quitting, they are temporary and minor compared with the real, scientifically proven, deadly diseases that are caused by smoking. Coronary heart disease, stroke, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and cancer are just some of the proven killers that are in fact associated with smoking. The unsubstantiated theory that quitting may cause shingles is greatly offset by the true link between smoking and deadly diseases.  

Our junkie brains often look for an excuse to ditch the quit.  It's time to focus on the truth.  Smoking equals death.

Here are some statistics from the CDC:

Estimates show smoking increases the risk:

For coronary heart disease by 2 to 4 times

For stroke by 2 to 4 times

Of men developing lung cancer by 25 times

Of women developing lung cancer by 25.7 times

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1