Under what circumstances would you smoke again?

Jonny5

My first thought is there are still probably some, so I sat down and thought it through.  Actually can't think of any situation where I wouldn't come up with it can't help me here but I think about it with most situations. I laughed at the thought of a meteor hitting earth scenario and finishing us off and thought, yeah I'd smoke then, but I still wouldn't as I would want to be with my kids and I don't like smoke around them at all lol.  I don't know if the fact I would consider it makes me not there yet though. I'm still fairly new to this game and once mucked up a 1 year quit with a bit of stress that granted was bad, but I should of coped with, so I'm wary and on guard.

• Like 1

OK, so I have been thinking about this since I saw it yesterday...

I have been running a lot of scenarios through my head and come up with the most obvious one of all - the end of the world!  So, would I smoke if it was absolutley the end of the world and I had minutes to live?  I have decided that I would not.  Because cigarettes have nothing to offer me.  Why would I make my last action on this earth one that I don't enjoy doing?

There are obviously ridiculous situations like if someone offered me a million quid to smoke a cigarette, but not even worth thinking about because the apocalypse is probably more likely than that lol

So no, I can never see any reason that I would ever want to smoke again.  I am a non-smoker.

• Like 5

wow, I am sorry to hear this.  I am sure that was hard...but very inspirational to anyone quitting who thinks they cannot get through things without smoking.  

It was upsetting, but it wasn't hard regarding not smoking, cigarettes only entered my mind when I laughed to myself acknowledging that a few years back I would have smoked at a time like this.

It is completely possible to no longer see smoking as something that you want to do.

when that time comes, the quit is a non event, it needs no maintenance or work, it is just what it is, You don't smoke.

don't get me wrong, smoking will undo your quit still, but you don't guard against relapse if that makes sense? You just are quit :-)

• Like 1

OK, so I have been thinking about this since I saw it yesterday...

I have been running a lot of scenarios through my head and come up with the most obvious one of all - the end of the world!  So, would I smoke if it was absolutley the end of the world and I had minutes to live?  I have decided that I would not.  Because cigarettes have nothing to offer me.  Why would I make my last action on this earth one that I don't enjoy doing?

There are obviously ridiculous situations like if someone offered me a million quid to smoke a cigarette, but not even worth thinking about because the apocalypse is probably more likely than that lol

So no, I can never see any reason that I would ever want to smoke again.  I am a non-smoker.

this brings me to another question I once asked about smoking for £1m.

let me ask you another way, would you pay £1m to be a non smoker for life, and to not die a horrible smoking related death, following years on an oxygen tank, crippled and a shadow of your former self?

most of us ain't got £1m so lets say £100k, that's something that you could aim at that is more real world large money, but over time achievable and feasible.

My first thought is there are still probably some, so I sat down and thought it through.  Actually can't think of any situation where I wouldn't come up with it can't help me here but I think about it with most situations. I laughed at the thought of a meteor hitting earth scenario and finishing us off and thought, yeah I'd smoke then, but I still wouldn't as I would want to be with my kids and I don't like smoke around them at all lol.  I don't know if the fact I would consider it makes me not there yet though. I'm still fairly new to this game and once mucked up a 1 year quit with a bit of stress that granted was bad, but I should of coped with, so I'm wary and on guard.

You know better this time, You are doing great, don't let your past undermine your faith in yourself.  You have got this in the bag, simply don't smoke and your quit will remain.

• Like 1

I don't think I can answer that firmly!  Triggers strike when I'm weak?  The thought of smoking just like a black cloud hanging over my head these days.   That sucks!

No Triggers strike because like everyone of us before you, You are going through the process of rewriting the brains autocues.

You ain't weak, you are doing great :-)

Like anything, it's about cost / benefit. If you feel the benefit outweighs the cost then you'd do it, regardless of smoking, cutting off your little finger, cheating on a partner or punching a baby.

• Like 1

this brings me to another question I once asked about smoking for £1m.

let me ask you another way, would you pay £1m to be a non smoker for life, and to not die a horrible smoking related death, following years on an oxygen tank, crippled and a shadow of your former self?

most of us ain't got £1m so lets say £100k, that's something that you could aim at that is more real world large money, but over time achievable and feasible.

Impossible to answer. I do not want to smoke. But if someone offered me £1m - imagine all the good I could do with that. Imagine all the people I could help with that money!!

OK, to clarify - If someone said I'll give you £1m to smoke, but you can only spend it on yourself I would say NO.

Impossible to answer. I do not want to smoke. But if someone offered me £1m - imagine all the good I could do with that. Imagine all the people I could help with that money!!

OK, to clarify - If someone said I'll give you £1m to smoke, but you can only spend it on yourself I would say NO.

I fear that I might not get away from Nicotines grip so easily next time, after all it took me almost 20 years to get this quit.  I'm scared of death, and of not being around to offer real help and support to family and friends, the kind that money can't buy.  so for me, my healthy respect for what nicotine could do to me leads me to say No to any monetary incentive to smoke again.

touching on Rob's very good point though, if I was on deaths door and would not survive anyway, then I would consider the money as a way of securing my family with me gone. so in that circumstance Yes.

But outrageously unreal situations like above aside, I would always say no to nicotine for the reasons above.

so for me, my healthy respect for what nicotine could do to me leads me to say No to any monetary incentive to smoke again.

Well if someone offered me a shed load of cash to essentially go through withdrawal again I'd do it. Wouldn't even have to be that much to be honest (in the grand scheme of things), I know what to expect I know how to handle it. No big deal.

I don't smoke now because I choose not to smoke. When I was in withdrawal I chose not to smoke. I'm better than nicotine. It will lose every single time without question.

Well if someone offered me a shed load of cash to essentially go through withdrawal again I'd do it. Wouldn't even have to be that much to be honest (in the grand scheme of things), I know what to expect I know how to handle it. No big deal.

I don't smoke now because I choose not to smoke. When I was in withdrawal I chose not to smoke. I'm better than nicotine. It will lose every single time without question.

Your strength is admirable, I too feel incredibly strong.  ultimately our strength will serve us well in our quits.  for some that are not so strong though, I think of stories I was told of how each quit is different, and that some are harder than others (within the same person)  I know that this one was easy compared to the failed ones.  maybe because I was different this time, more motivated, or strong, or educated perhaps.  I will never know for sure what made the difference, but one thing that helped me in the early days to get rid of any silly notion of just one, was accepting that I may have gotten lucky with this quit, and that the next one might not be so dooable.

none if i could get through finding out my cousin killed him self on  day  4 of my quit 2 months earlier on my moms birthday and not smoke then my anwser has to none not one reason will i ever smoke again  nope :D  :D 

• Like 2

have to say my initial reaction was the same as Julie and Ladyb, there are 2 situations in which I may find myself really considering smoking and possibly doing it, but havent been tested (and hopefully never will)  so I would like to think I could overcome it, but who knows.................I tell myself I am a non smoker and I never want to smoke another cigarette, but have seen many relapses years down the line, people who have been smober for 5, 10 years more then  that something happened and they smoked.  

• Like 1

have to say my initial reaction was the same as Julie and Ladyb, there are 2 situations in which I may find myself really considering smoking and possibly doing it, but havent been tested (and hopefully never will) so I would like to think I could overcome it, but who knows.................I tell myself I am a non smoker and I never want to smoke another cigarette, but have seen many relapses years down the line, people who have been smober for 5, 10 years more then that something happened and they smoked.

Don't be afraid of the relapses of the unenlightened. They were simply abstaining. Here we teach you how to genuinely remove the desire to smoke. Don't worry if you don't quite get it yet. In time you can be a secure as the most secure amongst us :-)

• Like 1

The thought of smoking a cig nowadays is so foreign and gross to me... there is not one single reason in this world that I would ever smoke again.

Me and my cig?  We will never ever never ever never ever get back together, just like Taylor Swift! :P

Rain :)

• Like 4

Not a one.  Even if I knew for sure it was my last day on Earth, I would not smoke.  Quitting opened my eyes to what I was missing as a smoker.  My lifestyle has changed completely and smoking would endanger that.  On top of it all, there is nothing a cigarette can do for me, no enjoyment whatsoever.  

• Like 3

The one situation I imagine is when my mother dies. I have mentioned she has lung cancer. I just hope in my grief I will not say F it and smoke. I don't want this to happen but I fear that i will be crazy at the time. Now why I would think to reach for a smoke in my time of mourning is something to consider. It would just add to the horror. ...Anyway, I did just go through some major stress at work and I did not feel like smoking to get through it so maybe stress is not a trigger for me. Also, to relapse when mourning for someone who died from lung cancer is tremendously bad

• Like 1

Okay fine y'all win. In the event of an incoming planet killer asteroid I won't smoke. I'll just have a few beers and then slam smack.

~giggling~

Gotta be honest Comrade.......in that event the thought of martinis and a hollywood size line of coke crossed my mind. A cigarette was just a given :p

• Like 2

There are some hypothetical situations were I would smoke in a heartbeat...like if somebody would hold me at gunpoint..or smoking a cigarette would bring world peace and other stuff like that...none of it will ever happen (so I hope) what means I am still an ex-smoker.

Can I truly say that I won't smoke under any circumstances? "No...I can not" 

Can I say some circumstances will make me smoke? "No..I can not". 

I am with CS on that..."Never say never"...Nicotine is an addictive substance.

If it's an addiction and if I am an addict....then I will always be an addict and should never be too sure about my addiction, that's what I learned! 

• Like 2

The Sarge can think of only one, and it ain't real - but here it is:

If smoking again somehow leads Mrs. Sarge to the freedom of being a non-smoker [1], he would do so in a heartbeat , without hesitation.

He would gladly give up his freedom and his life for hers.

Easy Peasy

FOOTNOTE:

[1] But that ain't gonna happen.

• Like 7

The Sarge can think of only one, and it ain't real - but here it is:

If smoking again somehow leads Mrs. Sarge to the freedom of being a non-smoker [1], he would do so in a heartbeat , without hesitation.

He would gladly give up his freedom and his life for hers.

Easy Peasy

FOOTNOTE:

[1] But that ain't gonna happen.

heart just melted

• Like 1