Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Almost at the 72 hour mark.....

Featured Replies

in 3 hours. And I had a good day but ever since 5pm hit, I have been dying with cravings. I picked the kids up from daycare, dropped them off to the sitter and am now back at work until 8:30pm, getting ready for a state audit. I don't know if it is b/c I am tired, resentful, stressed, lonely......all of the above. but ALL I want to do is leave here, buy a pack of american spirits and chain smoke on my porch. I KNOW this is not the answer and since I am no longer a smoker, it is not an opton. I  keep repeating that to myself and am taking it one minute at a time with deep breaths. I am y try to do some light yoga when I get home to calm my nerves.

 

When do the cravings usually peak in withdrawal? Today is the worst they have been.

I want you to breathe deep drink some juice.....know that it is your addictive brain screaming for  nicotine cause it knows you will NOT give it any......it is completely normal to feel this way you are on track to becoming free from the addiction. You got this!

 

edit: nicotine normally leaves your system within 72 hours so you will feel an abnormally strong pull towards a craving or two but power through it and you will be fine it is a normal cycle as far as quitting.

Cravings peaking but everyone you beat they get weaker. Everyone is weaker from this point. If you beat last one then next is easier

It gets easier, I promise.  Just hang on!

It does get easier, I swear it does.

 

The cravings will not kill you but smoking will. You fought for these 72 hours and even though, at times, it may not feel this way right now. If you smoked you would be back at hour 1 wishing you were at 72 again. Hang in there.

Go to this thread and post some SOS encouragement for yourself!

http://www.quittrain.com/topic/259-pre-respond-to-your-own-sos/page-5

Hang in there Etd - you have toughed it out through the hardest 3 days - but the good news is that you will never have to do them again !! It will get better soon - so stay strong and remember we are here for you if you need it xx

Hey ETD. Hopefully this has passed now. It's a craving. I know it can feel like the end of the world, but it isn't. It passes. Take deep breaths, sip water and keep doing what you are doing. You can do this.

Hoping your audit is done and smoke free. 

 

Each strong craving you face down and beat gives the next thought less power!

 

Check in and let us know how you are. x

Hi, how is it going. I am reading this just before my morning walk. When I read your post I thought about smoking an American Spirit and my lungs said yuck! Smoking is so wrong, breathing in fire and God only knows what chemicals into one's body. Hang in there and you will be free soon of the relentless urges so you can focus on building your quit. I ate a ton of sugar free candies in the first two months

  • Author

I made it through the night :) still some this morning but not as strong. Thanks for all your support! I'll keep checking in. About to drink coffee and than off the audit more charts: yippee!!!

Watch caffeine intake and drink some juice. Remember something about smoking releasing sugar and when you quit the blood sugar level goes down. This cranky and tired.

Great job on your quit!

 

Try some different routines if you get stuck in a rut, keep that blood sugar up like bakon mentioned and have some veggies around. Take a walk if you can get out, have another hit of sweet air. Keep on posting your progress and power through the craves, they get weaker and you get stronger,. every hour of every day from now on. 

I read something about caffeine having 2x the effect when nicotine isn't present in your system.  It was true for me in a big way.  I got super jittery and had to cut way back.  I like it better this way and have whiter teeth to boot :).

Head down and keep marching.

  • Author

I posted on my other threads that I slipped last night. Picked myself back up and recommitted today. NOPE for today. Examining the steps that led to my late night decision: lonely tired and angry about work. Still NO EXCUSES. I'm an addict. I quit drinking and I've recovered from an eating disorder and I know that I cN do this. I just know what is blocking me?

If it was easy everyone would quit tomorrow. It's work and effort

  • Author

Work and effort. And commitment. I've been think a lot today and it's my problem with commitment- I've struggled with this for year. I have to put the commitment at the forefront. It's imperative. Along with the work and effort.

You can do this etd. Yes it IS a lot of commitment & effort. But be stubborn! Refuse to let the killer sticks anywhere near you. Keep saying Nope. Take one day at a time. Use some other method for stress relief like gum or another alternative that won't kill you. It gets better. Truly it does.

exactly....one hour at time if needed...just don't smoke...

At first all or at least most of us were crying in our beer by day 3, BUT like others have said hang in there & for each crave you don't give into makes other craves down the road not so overwhelming. Trust us if quitting stayed as sucky as those early days I sure as HELL wouldn't be 3 yrs+ cig free. :rolleyes:

  • Author

Thanks, y'all. I'm back on the train. Day 2.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.