Cravings

When do they stop???? or at least become only occassional? at 3 weeks, I've had a couple days here and there where I hardly have any cravings at all, then days like today when they hit at least once an hour if not more often. They are not physical, they're mental. I'll be going about my day, minding my own business and suddenly get that feeling of anticipation like I used to get when going outside to vape. I have absolutely NO desire to actually do it but the craving is very uncomfortable.

Michelle, you need to realize that you are still so new in your quit. Cravings at three weeks are completely normal. There is something though about the threes, three days, three weeks, three months, that create stronger cravings for some. 

You smoked for a lot of years. That's a lot of triggers to get past but each time you do the crave gets weaker and you get stronger. You can take comfort  in the fact that the longer you stay quit the easier it is to get past a craving and soon enough they just become irritating thoughts that are easily swatted away.

We recommend staying close for a whole year and even taking the One Year Pledge. This will get you through all the seasons and holidays when cravings can be their toughest.

• Like 3

Thanks....glad to know its normal at three weeks. Thats why I asked. I'm concentrating on the benefits I've seen already. I can catch a deep breath, I dont stand out in the rain or blistering heat to suck poison into my lungs, I dont have to interrupt whatever I'm doing to go downstairs and outside, and I dont have to constantly make sure its plugged in, charging and that I have backup batteries just in case....not to mention the money I'm saving. Wooooooo

• Like 3

Girl I know exactly what you are talking about. Some days I don't even remember that I use to smoke as I don't think about it and there will be days when I have to stay extra vigilant because I the thoughts of smoking are in the forefront of my mind.

I think that the decision to start smoking when we were kids(yes I believe that even people in their teens are kids) it has lead to a life spent in survival mode. We go from one craving to the next just surviving in between. I think that when we make the decision to quit it sets off a fear. A fear to plant roots (make a plan to quit) a fear to think/plan for the future. To trust ourselves, to let the joy of not smoking in. BUT if we trust in ourselves, OUR plan to quit. We plant those roots. We look toward the future with hope and determination. Then a true blessing will occur. OUR mindset will begin to change. If we can stick with it, then OUR thoughts and thought process will go from just living in survival mode to actually thriving. We will thrive if we allow ourselves to. It won't be easy, but then again nothing in life ever is. BUT there is more to life than survival. More to life than being chained. To go from one day to the next just shuffling through trying to make it to the next cigarette. Trying to stretch your time between craves so you can feel better about smoking. If you don't want that then I guess You have to make a decision. 

Are you going to allow cigarettes and smoking control you? Or are you going to go from surviving through life and addiction, or are you going to allow yourself to thrive. To plant some roots and to let the joy of life back in. To have a future It starts with NOPE the only one who can make that decision is you. It's YOUR life. 

I really hope this helps with those days that are tougher than others. Look at it as you have decided to thrive instead of just survive. I hope you have a good day today. I am here if you need me.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, idontsmoke said:

When do they stop???? or at least become only occassional? at 3 weeks, I've had a couple days here and there where I hardly have any cravings at all, then days like today when they hit at least once an hour if not more often. They are not physical, they're mental. I'll be going about my day, minding my own business and suddenly get that feeling of anticipation like I used to get when going outside to vape. I have absolutely NO desire to actually do it but the craving is very uncomfortable.

We call Quitting a journey !!!!.......It's not a race ......

Michelle ..you have smoked for decades ...20 times or more a day ...

Why would you think your poor brain could forget that in 3 weeks ....????

It has to catch up ...

We suggest you stick around for 12 months ...because that roughly the time it takes to adjust to your new life ..

Be patient ....all good comes to them that wait ...

Your cravings will lessen and get weaker over time...all you have to do is ......Don't Smoke !!!!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, idontsmoke said:

When do they stop???? 

As Doreen said, it's a journey, not a race.

From my own experience of quitting hundreds of times, the physical cravings eventually will stop soon but the mental ones may take a long, long, looong time.  They hit me a a few times this (3rd) week too, but I don't ever want to be an addict again, the Quittrain forums and NOPE work for me.  You got this idontsmoke.

Edited by JohnQ
  • Like 1

Many ups and downs in this journey, that's for sure.

3 weeks is fantastic yet still the beginning and can be quite uncomfortable at times.

The only way over is through and you are doing great.

One day at a time..........

• Like 1