Lockdown Cooking

notsmokinjo

Dunno about you mob but with the lockdown I've been doing a bit more cooking than normal....well not more, just less quick n easy....

Everyone is loving home made rolls in our house and bickie's every couple of days. Forgot home much I loved baking.

Landed on a knead free bread roll recipe which is awesome. But they don't last that long so sort of need a few people to eat them.

• Like 4

I am going through my emergency supplies and seeing how long I can do this.  Tweaking the list for the next catastrophe, sigh.

So, being very parsimonious about portions which is GREAT, I am shedding lots of weight.

Being serious about nutrition.

I have a big spinach stash in freezer.  Also maybe 5 gallons of my Legendary Gumbo which I am saving in case I contract The Virus.

I have some herbs in the garden (didn't get my summer crop in, sigh) many onion greens.

I am eating TONS of beans and they are super creamy cooked in my instant cooker thing.  Red, White, Black, Black-eyed, Lentils, Chickpeas.

Making them with lots of bean juice which I drink as a snack.

Frozen salmon steaks, these are awesome.

now, only a few red potatoes and sweet potatoes left.

Black rice, white rice, red rice.

Masa Harina to make tortillas.

A grated brick of cheddar in the freezer.

Muscle Milk !!!!! 

down to last 6 eggs, a dozen beaten and froze in ice cube trays.

Haven't had a delivery in 30 days except for gifts from the farm which I inhaled, ha ha ha.

Had this been hurricane, freezer wouldn't be on so, I am lucky to have power and haven't started on my 'real' hurricane supplies.  Foodstuffs requiring no cooking.

Don't know whether I will continue my experiment.  I am dreaming of FOOD.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

I am going through my emergency supplies and seeing how long I can do this.  Tweaking the list for the next catastrophe, sigh.

So, being very parsimonious about portions which is GREAT, I am shedding lots of weight.

Being serious about nutrition.

I have a big spinach stash in freezer.  Also maybe 5 gallons of my Legendary Gumbo which I am saving in case I contract The Virus.

I have some herbs in the garden (didn't get my summer crop in, sigh) many onion greens.

I am eating TONS of beans and they are super creamy cooked in my instant cooker thing.  Red, White, Black, Black-eyed, Lentils, Chickpeas.

Making them with lots of bean juice which I drink as a snack.

Frozen salmon steaks, these are awesome.

now, only a few red potatoes and sweet potatoes left.

Black rice, white rice, red rice.

Masa Harina to make tortillas.

A grated brick of cheddar in the freezer.

Muscle Milk !!!!! 

down to last 6 eggs, a dozen beaten and froze in ice cube trays.

Haven't had a delivery in 30 days except for gifts from the farm which I inhaled, ha ha ha.

Had this been hurricane, freezer wouldn't be on so, I am lucky to have power and haven't started on my 'real' hurricane supplies.  Foodstuffs requiring no cooking.

Don't know whether I will continue my experiment.  I am dreaming of FOOD.

Good stash, Saz.  I vote get a delivery now while you can do it in a leisurely fashion and stock up on eggs, potatoes, etc. as well as the makings for another gumbo and then make yourself the world's best gumbo to enjoy during this loner lockdown.  More fun and healthier than continuing the experiment past it's expiration date, and you can save some of your emergency supplies.  Or maybe I'm just hungry right now....in which case we can just thaw some egg cubes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am do stealing the egg cube hack.

So Gunna share my mates Nonna's 'instant home made povo pasta" recipe....cos while I make proper pasta a bit this quick, no fuss linguine/fettuccini recipe is a no brainer...

To handfuls of flour and enough water to make a playdough consistency...give a quick knead...roll out on a floured bench with a rolling pin (bit of dowl in my place)...then roll up like a pinwheel...cut into ribbons, pop into boiling salted water for 2mins and drain....servd with whatever sauce you want....no need to rest the dough...quick, easy and if ya outa pasta a god send.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

G’day 

Turkish style flatbread......

250 gm self raising flour

250 gm plain yogurt ( room temp)

( yes that’s right 2 ingredients equal quantities)

mix and roll into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and leave 1/2 hour. 

Roll out with rolling pin on floured board to 3 to 4 mm thick rounds( 1/6 inch)

cook in dry pan. 

Makes a lighter style of flatbread. Will fold easy for wraps etc. great for moping up sauces, use as a substitute for nan bread. 

DAAB4F3A-9A62-4BB6-B022-321B95587F8C.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/18/2020 at 8:12 PM, notsmokinjo said:

@Sazerac have you ever used you bean juice to replace egg whites and make merengue or macarons?

I've been wanting to try it but I am a bit scared. 

Haven't made a meringue or macaroons since I was a child.  Only drink the bean juice, yum, or add it to soup/stew.

I often use flax seed as an egg substitute for savory bakes.  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:33 AM, Cbdave said:

G’day 

Turkish style flatbread......

250 gm self raising flour

250 gm plain yogurt ( room temp)

( yes that’s right 2 ingredients equal quantities)

mix and roll into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and leave 1/2 hour. 

Roll out with rolling pin on floured board to 3 to 4 mm thick rounds( 1/6 inch)

cook in dry pan. 

Makes a lighter style of flatbread. Will fold easy for wraps etc. great for moping up sauces, use as a substitute for nan bread. 

DAAB4F3A-9A62-4BB6-B022-321B95587F8C.png

How many will it Make.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, catlover said:

How many will it Make.

I just made it and I got 6 about the size of a medium pizza, almost the size of a dinner plate.

OMG @Cbdave this is a bloody bonza recipe...went perfect with our satay beef and coconut rice. Will defo make this again. Thanks...kid has ordered more to take for lunch tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here ya go @catlover....  

Coconut Rice

1 cup jasmine rice (you can use basmati or long grain too)

1 tin coconut milk (not the lite one...I dunno why it makes a difference but it does)

1/4 cup of shredded coconut (optional)

Water (1 use about 3/4 of the empty milk tin)

Pinch of salt

(This is a milk, sweat rice to undercut a spicy curry, especially Thai..but if there are use ups (left overs) I'll usually just mix through some chilli and sliced spring onions and eat it plain)

Now I'm lazy, I cook all my rice in a rice cooker but I'll give you both...

Rice cooker...

1. Rice rice, just once (normally I'd rice rice until the water is clear unless I'm doing sticky rice or sushi rice).

2. Add milk and coconut, give a mix, add enough water so that if you put your index finger in to sit on the rice the water level sits at you second finger bend (normal rice is 1st finger bend and sushi rice is above the 2nd finger bend, again dunno why it's just how my Filo friends Lola showed me)

3. Set to cook and walk away.

Stove top...

Steps 1-2 as above

Step 3..bring to boil, reduce to simmer, storing occasionally until cooked through...you may need to add water if dries out. Will need to cook for about 15 mins.

• Thanks 1

Gday

Braised chicken

This method is pretty universal around the world. It was taught to me by my Nan a 4th generation Scott Aussie. She used it to cook a boiler ....basically  an old chicken that was past laying eggs. 

Need ..... 1x fresh chicken and a large pot. Aromatics of your choice. Me I like the 3 amigos.... onion,carrot, and celery. A glut of soya sauce, garlic bay leaf and ginger.

Enough water in the pot to cover the bird. Bring to the boil then drop the temp and simmer 20 mins.

Take off the heat.

Fit the lid.

Leave for an hour and a half..... No Peeking!

You’ll get the most moist chicken you can use for a lot of dishes and broth you can use for soup. A lot of cultures use the broth to cook rice to have with the chicken.

Me it’s chicken soup. I’ll remove the breasts and thighs and drummies for another meal. The rest in a pot with extra veg and broken up spaghetti. 

For Chicken breasts or pieces.

Same again..... cover with water. Bring to the boil. Back to simmer. 20 mins fit the lid. This time leave for 20 mins only. Again the most moist chicken breasts you can cook.

C20CF403-CC2E-4D4C-9FFF-E620E40DB70F.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, catlover said:

Thanks Jo, that does sound yummy, will give it a go. Does it not go with Indian dishes then? Will have to look up some Thai recipes.

Works best with Thai but it's nice with India...although my lot reckon it's too much coconut with a korma. I like it best with a satay or as a balance to a really hot curry like a Thai Green curry. Works well with a lot of Malaysian recipient too.

4 hours ago, catlover said:

Thanks Jo, that does sound yummy, will give it a go. Does it not go with Indian dishes then? Will have to look up some Thai recipes.

Works best with Thai but it's nice with India...although my lot reckon it's too much coconut with a korma. I like it best with a satay or as a balance to a really hot curry like a Thai Green curry. Works well with a lot of Malaysian recipient too.

Crockpot Roast

any piece of meat

1 or 2 packets of Onion soup mix depending on quantity of meat

1/4-1/2 cup water (more if using lean meat)

place meat in crockpot, add water, sprinkle onion soup mix over top. Cover, cook on low until fork tender. I like to cook on high for about an hour or two before turning down to low. 

• Like 1