Post Quit - Weight Loss for the Pyscho quit keeper

hi all,

from the little that have i read and from quite a few videos i noticed that the problem of weight gain is what follows a quit. i am in the baby stage of my quit but i think it is good to keep the workshop guys busy. after all - an idle mind is the devils workshop, lol. 

so here is the plan (this is complimentary to the 'diet quit for the psycho quit keeper' and both must run parallel for effective results)

the idea is to get the body and mind so busy into exercising and diet control that craves becomes a non issue to them. yes, we play dirty.

ab exercises:

1. leg raise

2. m/climb

3. plank

4. b/crunch

5.v/crunch

6. scissor abs

now i am making up an excel sheet. the only pending issue is the number of sets that i can do without straining myself. so i will use the next few days to check out the same. once that is done i will start the 100 day work-out. 

the idea is to keep the mind and body so tired that they remain grateful for the needs and so they discard the wants - 'esp the 'want to smoke' feeling. 

feel free to add, share, suggest any other better ideas. i used to love doing 1,4 and 6 exercises but it has been quite a while now that i have worked out seriously. this is a good time to start again.

1243628296_quitpyschoworkout.png.d237dff3bc661624025741f546e82410.png

unable to attach word doc, need help in doing so. not urgent so you can take time in advising me on how to do it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, helmethermit said:

hi all,

from the little that have i read and from quite a few videos i noticed that the problem of weight gain is what follows a quit. i am in the baby stage of my quit but i think it is good to keep the workshop guys busy. after all - an idle mind is the devils workshop, lol. 

so here is the plan (this is complimentary to the 'diet quit for the psycho quit keeper' and both must run parallel for effective results)

the idea is to get the body and mind so busy into exercising and diet control that craves becomes a non issue to them. yes, we play dirty.

ab exercises:

1. leg raise

2. m/climb

3. plank

4. b/crunch

5.v/crunch

6. scissor abs

now i am making up an excel sheet. the only pending issue is the number of sets that i can do without straining myself. so i will use the next few days to check out the same. once that is done i will start the 100 day work-out. 

the idea is to keep the mind and body so tired that they remain grateful for the needs and so they discard the wants - 'esp the 'want to smoke' feeling. 

feel free to add, share, suggest any other better ideas. i used to love doing 1,4 and 6 exercises but it has been quite a while now that i have worked out seriously. this is a good time to start again.

1243628296_quitpyschoworkout.png.d237dff3bc661624025741f546e82410.png

unable to attach word doc, need help in doing so. not urgent so you can take time in advising me on how to do it. 

Boo likes to work out too....he very often walks like a Farmer ....!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, helmethermit said:

feel free to add, share, suggest any other better ideas.

Have you ever tried...

44 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Boo likes to work out too....he very often walks like a Farmer ....!!!!

Farmer's Walks!  Dead simple exercise that works every muscle in the body.  Just pick up a couple of heavy objects (dumbbells, kettlebells, etc.) and walk with an upright posture for a predetermined distance.  It is one of my missions to spread the gospel of loaded carries to the uninitiated.

Starting a health and fitness regimen at the same time I quit smoking was very beneficial for me both physically and mentally.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, darcy said:

Wow  hh,

you just jump right in...vroom!

Inspiration for me to do at least 3 reps of the exercises I am doing.  lol

hello darcy.

to be honest i am not sure if i even can do one set of the planned exercises. that is the reason i will use these two days to check and test myself.

if i stand still the quit waters will flood me. just got to keep climbing up the ladder, lol. create a bigger problem - diversion, remember - lol. 

hey - you folks inspire me honestly. what type of exercises are you into if you do not mind me asking you?.

Edited by helmethermit
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Boo said:

Have you ever tried...

Farmer's Walks!  Dead simple exercise that works every muscle in the body.  Just pick up a couple of heavy objects (dumbbells, kettlebells, etc.) and walk with an upright posture for a predetermined distance.  It is one of my missions to spread the gospel of loaded carries to the uninitiated.

Starting a health and fitness regimen at the same time I quit smoking was very beneficial for me both physically and mentally.

sure boo, 

ill check out on this. interesting because it will be something new and that should be fun. the only question is how exactly - ill try and pull up a few videos to learn how - just to check on the intricacies of the walk. 

how my life has changed !!!. . in a week. now i have close to half a dozen folks i look forward to interacting with and this place feels like home and so full of love and positive energy. that is magic to me, that to me is a miracle.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, helmethermit said:

hey - you folks inspire me honestly. what type of exercises are you into if you do not mind me asking you?.

For strength work I like the fundamental barbell lifts: Deadlifts, Squats, Overhead Press, and Bench Press.  I also do Pull-Ups and Chin-Ups.  And I'm a big fan of weighted carries and pushing and pulling the sled (Farmer's Walks, Suitcase Carries, Sled Push, and Sled Pulls with a rope)

For cardio, I really like trail running.  I'm not a great runner, but I love getting out in the woods and pushing it.  When I don't have the time to go out for a run, I jump rope, use the Concept2 rower, or get in some rounds on the heavy bag.

For core specific work, I do: Hanging Leg Raises, Roll-Outs, and Landmine Twists.

And I like to do a bit of mobility work everyday.  Combination of stretches, yoga poses, and moves to exercise a pair of shoulders that have been used and abused over the years.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Boo said:

For strength work I like the fundamental barbell lifts: Deadlifts, Squats, Overhead Press, and Bench Press.  I also do Pull-Ups and Chin-Ups.  And I'm a big fan of weighted carries and pushing and pulling the sled (Farmer's Walks, Suitcase Carries, Sled Push, and Sled Pulls with a rope)

For cardio, I really like trail running.  I'm not a great runner, but I love getting out in the woods and pushing it.  When I don't have the time to go out for a run, I jump rope, use the Concept2 rower, or get in some rounds on the heavy bag.

For core specific work, I do: Hanging Leg Raises, Roll-Outs, and Landmine Twists.

And I like to do a bit of mobility work everyday.  Combination of stretches, yoga poses, and moves to exercise a pair of shoulders that have been used and abused over the years.

wow boo - you are an inspiration. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helmethermit said:

wow boo - you are an inspiration. 

Yes I am.  Thanks for noticing.

But seriously...Working out facilitated my quit and quitting facilitated my workouts.  All-in-all, the plan really came together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

that is not just effective but smart too boo. one - you stop or limit the damage on one end and begin the healing on the other.  do you know why you turned superman in my eyes - you knocked the smokey doodle silly and cold with a dumbell, lol. nothing can beat that. and i hope you will continue to inspire - newbie's like me  

Edited by helmethermit
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, helmethermit said:

that is not just effective but smart too boo. one - you stop or limit the damage on one end and begin the healing on the other.  do you know why you turned superman in my eyes - you knocked the smokey doodle silly and cold with a dumbell, lol. nothing can beat that. and i hope you will continue to inspire - newbie's like me  

Everything the cigarette promised but never delivered, I found in physical fitness.  Stress relief.  Peace of mind.  Relaxation.

Inhaling the smoke from a cigarette never once delivered the benefits I get from getting under the barbell or going out for a run.

Quitting smoking will reward you in many ways.  Starting a training program will reward you in many ways.  When you double-down on the rewards...life is good and just continues to get better.

• Like 2

what i love is your positive attitude overflowing in your persona and your posts. i could not help notice that you mention reward etc which is very healthy and so powerful in tuning your brain. you have beaten smoky doodle to a pulp mercilessly, lol. 

for the wondrous strength you dish out with every post - thank you like always. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 2:50 PM, Boo said:

Have you ever tried...

On 3/30/2020 at 1:10 PM, Boo said:

Yes I am.  Thanks for noticing.

But seriously...Working out facilitated my quit and quitting facilitated my workouts.  All-in-all, the plan really came together.

I agree with Helmet that you are an inspiration! You must be super fit! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am big on freestyle home aerobics - I just turn on the music and dance around and add in some aerobic moves, isometrics, body toning moves like arm circles, leg lifts and such, running in place, air punches, some floor stretching and a little ab work.  I jog outside and on a treadmill at the gym.  Weird, after quitting smoking, I got so preoccupied with eating and so DEPRESSED I dropped my 14 year workout habit. 20 pounds later I am looking forward to getting back in shape.  Do whatever keeps your blood pumping and your mood light!

Edited by Angeleek
  • Like 3