Almost four months smoke free, now one week alcohol free

Old Man Coffee

I will hit four months without smoking on Friday.  Now I have started on a Dry February and have been alcohol free for the past week- I made Super Bowl Sunday my last Hoorah.  The skills I have developed by quitting smoking have greatly helped me in this endeavor.  I'm not an alcoholic, but I do drink too much and I also know that drinking is one of the biggest triggers to starting to smoke again.  I slept a full eight hours uninterrupted last night and I'm already starting to see improvements in my face and the tightness of my clothes.  I think I will take this Dry February into the next couple of months- maybe through Lent.   

7fa3436ece325aa97c85e717354d4a4678209e7a

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

That's great OMC !

Quitting gave us the tools to deal with all sorts of other issues in our lives.

I was sober from mid November-mid February 

and after my soiree in February hopped back on the wagon.

I feel so much better.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement.  As we are getting some warmer weather and the clocks just sprang forward, it is becoming more tempting to have a beer when grilling, since there are still some in the garage fridge; however, I have made the promise to not drink through lent and my wife and kids have made the promise to continue to not have sweets/desserts through lent as well.  Clothes are fitting better, sleep is better, anxiety doesn't hit as hard, and my mental clarity is sharper. 

I was oddly tempted to smoke this morning on my way to work- can't put my finger on the trigger, but it was the strongest craving I've had in a while.  Urge Resisted- Quit Maintained!!!

7fa3436ece325aa97c85e717354d4a4678209e7a

• Like 3

Remember, @Old Man Coffee, your quit is still young and needs protection.

Your vigilance is essential to your commitment to NOPE.

Don't be surprised by triggers or craves that seem to jump out of nowhere.

It will take a year for seasonal triggers to show up.

Sometimes these craves can surprise you. 

Don't be caught off guard, stand your ground, You Don't Smoke !, and they will fade into oblivion.

Here is a QTrain post with some anecdotal evidence,  Craves Over Time

Resources addressing Craves or Thoughts That Occur Over Time

and Joel's Video

• Like 1

That Nico monster ...whispers down your ear when you least expect it ...

Always be on your guard ...

We all have thoughts ..it's how you deal with them that important....

By winning your battles ...you will eventually win the war ...

Good going !!!

• Like 1