September 28, 20188 yr 2 years ago today I smoked my last cigarette, and a lot of my success was because of trolling forums and sites like this one. 730 days 3/4 pack per day average (probably a little high, many days were less, some were more.) 10,950 cigarettes 547.5 packs ($8 each) $4380 not spent Do I miss it? Sometimes. Less and less as time proceeds. However, the fact that I know the date and time and where I was should tell you something. Glad I quit? Yes. Was it hard? No. Not this time. Once I understood that nicotine is a chemical that lies to you while making your brain think that cigarettes are your friend and that you need it and deserve it and that is it good for you, it's easy to walk away from your enemy. That knowledge provides the strength to defeat the chemical dependency and that the cravings for the nicotine are the vehicle that the tobacco companies depend upon to take your money out of your wallet. A couple of tough days, sometimes an hour or a minute at a time, and you become free. ("OK, I won't smoke today" is the trick I told my brain). The key is not to ever give in and re-introduce the nicotine back into the body, because the brain recognizes it and instantly, you are a smoker again, even if it's only one drag! That's why cutting down slowly, gum, patches, vaping, e-cigs, pipes, cigars and nicotine-replacement therapy do not work. The goal is NO NICOTINE EVER AGAIN. Have I ever been tempted in these two years? Nope, not even close, because I understand what happens. I'm done. I win. Do I feel better? Not really. Blood pressure is still the same. Gained about 15 pounds. Am I going back? Never. Edited September 28, 20188 yr by Baseball Coach grammar
September 28, 20188 yr Welcome Baseball Coach and congrats on your quit!! I'm all about an educated quit and it sounds like you have one! KTQ
September 28, 20188 yr Hey, @Baseball Coach Thank you for your insightful post. Congratulations on your Two years of freedom ! I lurked for about 10 months before I joined and I am so happy to be here, almost five years later with this fabulous group.
September 28, 20188 yr Hi Baseball coach, congratulations on two years quit! Thanks for sharing your anniversary with us
September 28, 20188 yr Congratulations Baseball Coach! I celebrated my 2 years 9/26. It is grand! I agree- accepting that smoking is a true drug addiction and not just a bad habit is key to KTQ.
September 28, 20188 yr Congratulations on your 2 years quit Baseball Coach. It's great to have you on board here, hope you can help guide some of our other quitters here.
September 29, 20188 yr Congratulations on 2 years of freedom Baseball Coach. Great post and welcome to the QT.
October 1, 20188 yr Author Thanks all. Having a support group like this is a huge help. Except for my daughter, none of my family smoked, so no one understood what you go through when you try to quit. The key is truly wanting to stop, truly never wanting to smoke again, and in my case, understanding what my body and brain were doing to try to trick me into lighting up again. Sometimes, as I said, during those intense cravings, I just said wait, and the craving will pass. The more you do that, the longer the time period between cravings. Don't quit because your wife told you to, don't quit because your friends told you to, don't quit because your kids told you to. Quit because you want to be free. Free from the expense. Free from the stink. Free from being an outcast. Free from the higher chances of illness and death. It's not just lung cancer. It's cancers of all types: pancreatic, liver, brain, throat, mouth, larynx, etc. Nicotine affects 'em all!. It's also emphysema. It's heart disease. Strike back at the tobacco companies that are robbing you of your money and your life. Don't give them any money. Never again. If anyone wants support, please let me know. Lurking on places like this got me through, and I would like to give back. I'm sure I speak for everyone on this forum.
October 1, 20188 yr Good job lad. Glad you shared it with us. Now dont go sticking a cancer stick on your lips ever ok? Proceed.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.