In Mets news, it looks like New York is listening to offers for some of their veteran players, including Jacob deGrom. That's gotta suck. Sorry, @Whispers
In Cubs news, closing pitcher Brandon Morrow, who has been having a great season, was placed on the disabled list today due to a back injury that occurred while...taking off his pants. That just sounded weird to me.
https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/back-tightness-puts-cubs-brandon-morrow-on-dl/c-282098978
Cubs also signed their first round draft pick from the recent MLB Draft Nico Hoerner, a shortstop who sounds like a young Ben Zobrist. This could wind up being a good signing in a couple of years but a few picks later, the Houston Astros signed outfielder Seth Beer.
I really wish the Cubs went with this guy instead. Cubs Draft Beer would be a great headline. A Cubs Beer jersey would have been a must-have for me. Seth Beer went to Clemson University and apparently his jersey was a big seller.
Oh, and Jon Lester is having an amazing year. I can't believe that going into this season, I thought this guy was starting to look like a has-been.