Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question..who can relate ?

Featured Replies

I have a question in regards as former smokers and those quitting.How many of you find yourself if reflecting or looking back upon your lives get emotions or sensations that you once had as a former smoker ? I find myself memories popping up in my head from when I was a non smoker, memories I have long forgotten about as a smoker. sensations and emotions happening that I had as a non smoker. It's very hard to explain but it's really weird. I mean it's weird, no other way of putting it...like I once said to my wife, I feel good physically but emotionally I can be a train wreck at times. It's just amazing how different path ways reopen in our brain as we no longer hide them behind nicotine, good or bad it can be either one just weird...lol.

 

 

7d20f3377cae4e277e6316e328a5f40a5ee24eb8

Edited by stzr500

I don't have those thoughts only because three quarters of my life was spent as a smoker. I was only 17 when I started and still in High school......

 

Ive not had emotions pop up as you describe as in ones i felt as a non smoker. Like jillar i started as a kiddo. But i think you are for sure right that nicotine/addiction masks stuff. But hey youre doing ok so just keep going. And its good to talk about it too.

I feel very mortal since quitting which is the strangest thing ever. Im only 33 for crying out loud. 

I have found my anxiety is less but things I thought I'd dealt with years ago are popping back up at different times. I am definitely more emotional but I think in part its because when I smoked I'd go outside and smoke when things got emotional and just used the smokes to block the feelings and now I dont do that. 

I started smoking at 13 so no regarding memory. My brain is doing major readjustments so I see my issues related to this. I still get flat/sad days. Still have craves like I want to run away from reality with a cigarette but I need to be a grown up and deal with life without the anaesthesia band-aid. 

I don't think that I have experienced the type of sensations/emotions from the time before I smoked that you referred to, but I started smoking at 13. Looking back I don't sense any difference from the early non smoking days to the smoking days. Since I quit smoking the changes to my emotions have been similar to those that you have expressed in the past here and at QSMB. 

Nope, I haven't felt any differences emotionally or mentally since I quit (well, you know, after that first 6 months when I was a general basket case). Unless you count some days when I remember to take a deep breath and just grin with the sheer delight of knowing I (1) am healthier, and breathe better; and (2) am no longer a slave to the things.

 

I guess I'm lucky. Quitting smoking just flat out makes me happy. Nothing else.

4 hours ago, stzr500 said:

It's just amazing how different path ways reopen in our brain as we no longer hide them behind nicotine, good or bad it can be either one just weird.

 

We thought we were hiding behind the veil of nicotine, but in reality the nicotine was pulling the wool over our eyes.  When you see smoking and nicotine addiction for the self-perpetuating cycle of futility that it is, your life will become more simple.  And when your life becomes more simple, it improves exponentially.  All good.  No bad.

I was a scawny kid of 11..standing in the shadows puffing my head off..and smoked my way through 52 years....I have no memory of feeling smoke free ...until now..

Sometimes I still have to pinch myself ...and have this massive sense of pride..I did it...go back there..not a chance...!!!!

 

I didn't even start smoking til age 27. Memories/emotions from the 15 years I did smoke don't really seem any different.

I imagine smoking did some physical damage but emotionally it is like it never was there to begin with.

Some think of themselves as "smokers" but I never did. Maybe denial or whatever but that same attitude helped me quit and has kept me from going back.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.