moving your butt?

Tink

So its been a while and the exercise thread seems a bit quiet, so who is doing what lately?

Our latest fitness routine apart from walking lots of dogs is a new weight bench and punch bag, I must have gone soft over the years as it hurts like hell punching that thing, even with gloves! 

• Like 2

I'm currently doing the 5/3/1 weightlifting program.  I'm finishing up the second week of a four-week cycle.  For supplemental exercises, I'm doing pull-ups and weighted carries (farmer's walk and suitcase carries).

Weighted carries are awesome.  I went through an eight-week phase where I focused primarily on running and boxing.  I did some bodyweight exercises, but my strength work consisted primarily of weighted carries 4-5 times a week.  After a two-month layoff, I actually saw my squat and deadlift numbers increase.  Summation: weighted carries make you strong.

I'm not running right now, but doing a good bit of rucking in preparation for a multi-day hike over the New Year holiday.

Stay strong and keep moving folks.

• Like 3

Good work, Tracey and Boo! 

My routine:

Monday 1/2 hour elliptical

Tuesday 45 minutes kick boxing

Wednesday 1/2 hour elliptical

Thursday 1/2 hour Zumba, yoga or elliptical 

Friday 1/2 hour Zumba + 45 minutes kick boxing

Saturday 75 minutes dance aerobics

Sunday rest or walking

Would love to do strength training but herniated cervical disc makes that impossible. Kick boxing, that is non-contact but includes lots of reps of punching and kicking sequences and squats, leg work galore helps tremendously with toning of arms and legs and can be a great core workout if you focus on that area. Trying to make my 10000 steps every day but some days I don't quite get there if I'm at my desk too long (which is quite frequent these days)  For me, the Psychological/mood and outlook enhancing benefits of working out exceed even the physical benefits.  If I miss more than one day, I feel the difference right away   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Qi Gong...every day...gentle work out...for my old bones....good for the mind too...

Walks when can...

Good diet....beetroot...

Thanks for the reminder, Doreen!  I used to do qi gong every day but haven't kept up with it the last few months. I must get back to it!

• Like 1

Yeah, I think exercise sub-forums are often quiet.

My job is physical, moving stuff a lot and walking around a lot. Dodging the boss helps with reflexes. If it were not for my job, I would be in no shape to exercise.

After i quit smoking my sense of smell and taste changed a bit and then again when I got sick because of a skin infection. Soda didn't taste the same so I pretty much dropped those. Milk started tasting good again. Candy bars started tasting super gross all the sudden so I dropped those and replaced it with apples and oranges. Yeah I know those have a lot of sugar but screw it. What the hell am I suppose to eat? Raw broccoli?

For Tracey - Any sort of exercise you do is going to help. Especially walking dogs. They are constantly pulling faster than one cares to walk or run, plus having to jerk them away when they attempt to sniff someone's crotch, etc. You are no slouch

• Like 1

Chronic illness messes my excersise routine.  Gosh how I miss my workouts . Used to be an athlete now I feel like a couch potato . No two days are the same pain wise, or health wise . I am learning to pace myself and not overdo things at the moment . Take things one day at a time  .  Stay upbeat ...... Today it's just the stationary bike at home and I say that hopefully... because all this talk about doughnuts you know  has gotten me motivated lol so ....  hmm  it will be worth it . 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 10:22 AM, REZ said:

I just started a Stronglifts 5X5 workout program and a high protein diet. 

We will see where this goes!

5x5 is a great program.

When I started training again last year, I did 5x5 for the first six-months and have phased back into it a couple of times since.  I've yet to hit a plateau on that program and have seen consistent strength gains.

Compound Lifts + Progressive Resistance = Results

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 3:34 PM, Boo said:

5x5 is a great program.

When I started training again last year, I did 5x5 for the first six-months and have phased back into it a couple of times since.  I've yet to hit a plateau on that program and have seen consistent strength gains.

Compound Lifts + Progressive Resistance = Results

I've changed it a little to a 4 X 6. The squats are the hardest so far. The knees are what they used to be. I'm sure as the weight increases everything else will be hard too!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...