My job.....

My job can be rough. Especially when you are quitting smoking. We are a full service bar, but also a family restaurant. We share a parking lot with a cheaper motel, so we see a lot of drug activity, transients, ect. The city hospital is a few blocks away which brings in people who are not only physically sick, but also mentally. We are right by the fair grounds which usually has some sort of events show every weekend. At any given time my restaurant is full of a mix of little children, drunk people, crazy people, people who dine and dash, people using drugs in our bathrooms, people who just got released from jail ( city jail is about 10 blocks away) the list goes on. I find myself getting irritated and having the worst craves at work, and I cant come on here, so I usually go in the walk in freezer and scream, it helps. I rarely crave at home anymore, but am constantly craving at work. Any suggestions to help me crave less at work??? I am also very irritable at work and have a lot less patience. I am usually very patient and very nice and now I feel as though I'm a lot more short with people.

Now its 2 am, I'm sitting here with my feet in my foot spa, eating ice cream and trying to wind down after an 11 hour shift. Got thru one more day without smoking and tomorrow at 2 pm it will be 3 weeks.

• Like 4

Aww..crickey,sorry to hear your job is so full on on..dealing with the public can at times ..can stretch your nerves ,to say the least..your doing really well..and I'm proud of you...

Have I got any advice..mmmm...try chewing regular gum...keeps your mouth and brain busy....

Keep reminding your self..what your achieving is flippin Amazin...your bettering your life for you,your family..

No matter what other folks are getting up too..you will not lose your quit .repeat after me !!!

Smoking is not on the table..ever...

I was once told very early in my quit...its OK to wobble..just make sure you don't fall over...

Every day is a new day...xx

Thanks Doreen :) your kind words mean a lot...I am not a gum person at all, plus I feel its really tacky for a waitress to be chomping away at gum while working, but I do suck on hard candies, less noticeable and I can easily hide it when I need to take an order ect. I'm determined not to let my job ruin my quit but it is extremely trying at times.

• Like 1

Sound interesting. Look, sometimes we just have to endure, no other way around. Working a stressfull job and quitting smoking is a sure recipe for stress but theres no tricks that i know, the only way to do it is to ******* do it. Stay strong and keep pushing. Respect.

• Like 1

My job can be rough. Especially when you are quitting smoking. We are a full service bar, but also a family restaurant. We share a parking lot with a cheaper motel, so we see a lot of drug activity, transients, ect. The city hospital is a few blocks away which brings in people who are not only physically sick, but also mentally. We are right by the fair grounds which usually has some sort of events show every weekend. At any given time my restaurant is full of a mix of little children, drunk people, crazy people, people who dine and dash, people using drugs in our bathrooms, people who just got released from jail ( city jail is about 10 blocks away) the list goes on. I find myself getting irritated and having the worst craves at work, and I cant come on here, so I usually go in the walk in freezer and scream, it helps. I rarely crave at home anymore, but am constantly craving at work. Any suggestions to help me crave less at work??? I am also very irritable at work and have a lot less patience. I am usually very patient and very nice and now I feel as though I'm a lot more short with people.

Now its 2 am, I'm sitting here with my feet in my foot spa, eating ice cream and trying to wind down after an 11 hour shift. Got thru one more day without smoking and tomorrow at 2 pm it will be 3 weeks.

At 3 weeks, being less patient at work etc. has little to do with not smoking.  I think you're just fed up and don't correlate having less patience with quitting smoking. The atmosphere and long hours are more likely the cause.  How do you stop craving less at work?  At this point, it's all mental so when you get this thought, instantly change your focus onto something that requires focus.  For example, think about building your dream house, where it would be, what it would look like etc.; anything that requires concentration to shift your thoughts onto something positive. :)

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. I do love my job, the people I work with (well most of them), my regulars. My boss is amazing, the best boss I ever had honestly. It's just very stressful at times..... A lot of the time. Before when I got stressed I'd duck outside and smoke... Now I still will go outside and do some deep breathing, just not as often. I guess that's why I correlate it with quitting smoking. I do think the long hours have a lot to do with it but I am my families sole income, so I take what I can get. I am also trained not only as a server/bar tender, but can also cook as well as manage and close the place down (I requested to be trained in all areas when I was hired so I could help wherever I am needed). Its just the other types of people I mentioned we get and certain situations that get me stressed out. But thanks for letting me vent :) today's a new smoke free work day and I am feeling positive!

• Like 2

IGT - try and focus on the really great thing you are doing for yourself in quitting smoking for good. Some of those people you mention that are around you at work probably can not help themselves or choose not to depending on their afflictions but YOU are making the choice to live a better life and free yourself from this horrible addiction. That is something to really celebrate. Focus on the positive change YOU are making in your life :) The short fuse is unfortunately part of the territory as we adjust to living life without smoking. It takes a while but it DOES happen and your temper will eventually adjust back to the what it was before you quit. Always remember; the challenging issues we experiencing while quitting are temporary but the benefits last for a lifetime :)

• Like 2