Has Anyone Ever Had Problems Breathing After Quitting?

Feely

I took a walk to the store today and found that I had a really hard time breathing while walking. I just had xrays taken of my chest very recently and my doctor said they looked good. 

My regular breathing (when I'm not active etc.) improved a lot almost immediately on quitting smoking but alas, any degree of strenuous effort, I get out of breath fairly quickly still. Not sure that has improved much yet after 3 months. Your breathing can be affected by a number of things though. Weather conditions (humidity, heat etc.) Also stress or anxiety can also cause breathing issues that you may not be used to as normal. It may have just been an anomaly Feely. It it occurs again, see a Dr. would be my suggestion.

• Like 2

Feely

I had very intense concerns about my breathing shortly after quitting. My doctor ended up ordering a pulmonary function test where you do various breathing exercises as you sit in a clear plastic chamber. They fortunately didn't find anything serious and my shortness of breath ended up going away on its own after about 2 months.

That being said, if your situation seems serious and persistent, I would definitely follow up with your doctor.

The only other thing I would point out is that quitting smoking will only improve your breathing in the long run. Don't let short term symptoms cause you to abandon your quit.

• Like 3

Was your doctor talking about your chest or the x-rays ...... ba da bum :P ..... sorry couldn't resist .... don't worry, your lungs are just doing the happy dance at having fresh air instead of poisonous smoke in them. Keep moving forward :)

• Like 1

Thanks! I would never abandon my quit to breathe again! LOL, the very definition of insanity.  But yeah, I've been sneezing and stuff a lot like I have a head cold sometimes.

I had issues while sleeping with shortness of breathe last night. That happens sometimes. I don't know. It will probably clear it's self up, but 2 months seems like a long time. Well, maybe not so short compared to all the abuse I gave them for so long.

I'm in for the long haul no matter what happens. 

• Like 5

Fear is the biggest obstacle in quitting. You . have much more to be afraid of that what you fear right now if you were to return ever, even for one puff, to smoking. You are an addict. As am I. We are both triggered for smoking these days. That is just life. You can deal with it. Find somethign else do to besides smoke!

I mean smoking took up about 1.5-2 hours a day of my life. I'm not joking. Like add up all the time it takes you to smoke. And then do something esle to focus yourself for 1.5-2 hours a day and you will be fine!

Trust me.

• Like 1

I'll just add that the problems, whatever they are, in breathing after quitting do in no way compare to the problems of breathing down the line, or just around the corner for some, in continuing to smoke.

• Like 2

I don't want to smoke. I was just saying that my walk today was wonderful compared to what I experienced yesterday in not being able to breathe.

Thank You!

• Like 1

wonderful. you have to reprogram all your thoughts and associations on smoking. it is a little bit like knocking offf one pit of rock at a time or many with a chisel. we have to 'resculpt our brains'.

you are making the right choices!

keep going. stand tall. be proud of your accomplishment each day.

i . mean give yourself a little celebration every single day.

that you are a quitter and not a smoker...

make a little ritual, a little space, to start to fill in all that space that smoking had in your life.

• Like 1