A quit to stick

ExTex

I have started a gazzilion quits - and dropping them just as quickly.

I have been "in the process" of quitting for 10 years.  TEN YEARS.

My mother, a pack-a-day smoker for her entire adult life, died of lung cancer 4 years ago.  One would imagine that an intelligent person would have quit smoking after that.

Reason and intelligence have no bearing on addiction.

SO... anyway.  I am committed to quitting and I think this site will be helpful.

• Like 6

Welcome, ExTex!  Education is so key to a successful quit.  There is a lot of wonderful information on this site, and many of us have also benefitted from Allen Carr's book EasyWay to Stop Smoking.  Many of the quitters here smoked for 40 years or longer, so if we can do it, you can too!

We are here to cheer you on every step of the way!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome..

A 52 yr smoker here..with more attempted quits ,than I could count..

This place..these folks..made my last quit my sticky...

Believe you can..because you can...you just need to want it enough..

Read all you can here..post daily...

Just take smoking off the table..no matter what..

So glad you found us ..

• Like 1

Welcome aboard ExTex.  It's common to take several practice runs at quitting before finding the quit that sticks.

This site is immensely helpful and with that commitment to quit you wrote of, you're well on your way.  Congratulations, you just started one of the most rewarding processes one can undertake.  Enjoy the ride.

Welcome ExTex!  We beat this addiction by understanding it and being smarter than it.  Through knowledge and making an unshakable commitment to never take a puff from a cigarette again will be a big asset. 

Starting Day One Of Your Quit

Suggested videos and reading materials for the first day of your quit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kOMX5vPldI

How To Quit Smoking

Video lays out simple tips for people wanting to quit smoking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l27zWo7hbcY

Related resources:
Quit smoking tip sheet
http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_01_ti...

Hi and welcome!!!

Yep - I had many failed attempts with a variety of methods - patch, gum, medication, vaped for a short period.

Cold turkey was my method of success.  I went at my cold turkey quit with a super positive attitude - looked at only the benefits of quitting and the harm it caused.  Wouldn't give in to excuses like, but just this one or they help me relax, etc...  There are absolutely NO benefits of smoking.

Also, like you, I had a parent die of cancer.  My Dad died from smoking in 1999, so sad to see his healthy lively happy person wither away to nothing.  And guess what, I continued to smoke for too many years.  Addiction sucks!

The great news is that it is so very doable to break that addiction!  And so incredibly worth it!!!  It feels so great to be free!!!!  

We're happy to have you here!  Welcome to our little home on the web!

I have started a gazzilion quits - and dropping them just as quickly.

I have been "in the process" of quitting for 10 years.  TEN YEARS.

My mother, a pack-a-day smoker for her entire adult life, died of lung cancer 4 years ago.  One would imagine that an intelligent person would have quit smoking after that.

Reason and intelligence have no bearing on addiction.

SO... anyway.  I am committed to quitting and I think this site will be helpful.

I can tell you this, knowledge about this addiction WILL give you exactly what you need to understand the different things you will experience during your quit which will ensure that you stay quit.  :)

Hi ExTex!  We can do this together!!!!  I've found over the last few weeks that this is the place to be.  At first, I thought that talking about smoking would make me want to smoke more.  I just wanted to forget about those darn cigarettes all together.  However, I've found that reading all the "senior non-smoker's" advice, watching videos and posting (even updating us on your mood for the day) makes an enormous difference and helps with cravings and bad thoughts.  I think the biggest thing I've learned is to find something to do during down time.  Read a book, catch a good TV series, get on this site, cook a large meal (or meal plan) or exercise.  All of these have helped keep my hands and most importantly, my mind busy.  I'm finding that things I didn't think would be fun without smoking (ice fishing, playing in the snow, being with friends, etc) are just as fun, if not more without having to stop every 15 minutes.  There is no limit now to what you can do!  You got this!!!!

• Like 1

Boo and meathead are some kind of cooking buddies. They like jerk meat, the really spicy kind of pulled pork and chicken, and make it together sometimes. They say having a buddy makes it easier and more fun.

I cook with eggs mostly. Breakfast guy here.

• Like 3