Partying...

Why is smoking synonymous with partying? Why do we want that cig so much when we've had a drink? We had friends over last night for drinks and music. We were having a fab time other that the big breaks they kept taking (I never realised just how annoying they are!!) but I can't lie and say I didn't think about smoking. I didn't and I wouldn't but I did find myself thinking about it. I've woken up today and I'm hungover from the wine but I have that 'throat hangover' too where you knew you'd smoked too much. I wonder what causes it when it isn't smoking!

Anyway, six months quit and it gets better and better. Happy Sunday everyone.

• Like 3

Good job getting through that!  It takes time to retrain our brains to not want a cigarette after every little thing we do.   We rewarded ourselves constantly with them and what better place than at a party!.  At almost 4 years quit I can tell you that it happens rarely to me now.  In fact I can't remember the last time it did. ...

You know, I find now that if I drink too much, at least I don't wake up all stinking and coughing from smoking double. I am not sure why drinking and smoking go together. There are some things now that I actually enjoy less now that I do not smoke.  One is drinking and the other is gambling. 

It's a good question.  I'm still trying to figure out where I'm at with alcohol since I quit smoking.  A beer or two here-and-there presents no issue, but the last couple of times I had a bit of Scotch or bourbon I started craving a cigarette almost immediately.  For the time being, I have cut back my alcohol intake as quitting smoking takes priority.

Sometimes you just have to go where the process takes you.

• Like 1

Alcohol can unsettle our brains. Take a moment to ditch the thoughts about smoking for a second and think back to previous drunken moments. I won't speak for you lol, but for me I can name pointless arguments, some suspicious choices of partner, un-natural levels of upset, over reactions and the list could go on. So the point is alcohol changes our perceptions that our sober mind would dismiss. Be careful of it.

For the smoking bit.  Yes, there will come a time when a skinfull won't associate with smoking, at all.  It's a nice feeling, you'll like it.

x

I can tell you where Smarti tatto is after drinking in mouse town.

Alcohol and nicotine combine to form a more addictive combo than separate. Alcohol also strips nicotine from blood so you smile more because you withdraw quicker. Then they act on each other again with fresh dose of nicotine and the circle continues. That is why you smoke more when you drink and also why it's harder to separate the two

• Like 4

Alcohol and nicotine combine to form a more addictive combo than separate. Alcohol also strips nicotine from blood so you smile more because you withdraw quicker. Then they act on each other again with fresh dose of nicotine and the circle continues. That is why you smoke more when you drink and also why it's harder to separate the two

Makes sense.  Back in the days when I was getting three sheets to the wind on a regular basis, I would chain smoke the whole night.  I never considered that chemistry might be colluding with my self-destructive behavior.  

That weird crossroads where science and mindless hell raising intersect...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The last time I had a drink was, eight months ago. I don't care for beer or wine. Though, do get a taste for mixed drinks (such as, Long Island Iced Tea) every now & then. Alcohol has never been a part of my or my & my husband's life, so, we don't tend to associate with anyone like that either. Which certainly helps. Of course, I was always a solo smoker. I never cared to smoke around others. I didn't even want to go outside if a neighbor was standing out there. I considered it my private time.