Did I quit smoking or tobacco?

Sirius

It's a fact that I've not touched cigarettes for quite a spell but I happen to live in Oregon and it's people have up and legalized 

marijuana.  Hmmm...

I've not smoked the wacky weed in over thirty years but toyed with the idea that it might be fun on a lark.

Ultimately, I declined the recreation as I haven't sorted out my feeling regarding the whole inhaling smoke thing so I passed.

Bah, maybe I'll just have a brownie instead.

• Like 3

I stopped inhaling nicotine and all its 4,000 chemical friends but on the weekend when I'm with friends and some happen to have some marijuana I won't deny to smoke,

It doesn't give me any craving or whatsoever, however I do smoke it purely while they choose to have tabaco mixed so they can "last longer".

Its still smoke but it's a healthy smoke I'd say compared to what we already had before.

• Like 1

In my opinion...the addiction we all have in common is to nicotine.  Any relationship with marijuana and THC are separate matters entirely.  The whole matter of breathing any kind of smoke into your lungs is a thin-line matter that we have to be more aware of as ex-smokers.  As far as brownies go, I don't see any reason you can't enjoy a bit of space cake and remain 100% confident in your quit.

• Like 3

Thanks for the reality check.  I'm probably over-thinking the whole thing but I'll stick with the brownie. 

It's good to be on alert.  Ex-smokers can imbibe a bit of marijuana or alcohol the same as people who never smoked, but our nicotine addiction does warrant extra precautions. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread but I found it while searching the word "Marijuana".

Why would I search that word you ask? Well, I consume cannabis on a daily basis and I wanted to see some opinions on the topic.

Almost five days into my quit(37 year smoker) I find it a bit difficult to "smoke" Cannabis without craving a cigarette. It never really dawned on me that I usually smoked a cig while smoking Cannabis till I stopped the cigs. I'm in the garage where I used to smoke cigs. Plus I used cigs to mask the smell of Cannabis.  I also enjoy ingesting(cookies etc.) and vaping THC oil via a vape pen. Which both give you a different buzz than smoking the bud. Vaping and eating give a very similar buzz because of the way the Cannabis is processed, pre consumption and post consumption for both. Eating last a long time, about 5-6 hours which I cant do during the week do to daily responsibilities. Vaping is a bit less predictable than smoking. Vaping and eating also give a very relaxing buzz with no mind wondering about cigs and without being "couch locked".

The vape doesn't have a smell or leave you with pot breath. I also don't have to go outside or in the garage to do it. So, if I'm going to use Cannabis its better for me to vape.

I always said I would stop cigs before I would stop Cannabis. But it seems they kind of go hand in hand more than I realized.

I'm not so naive  to think that vaping is safe as far as putting something into your lungs but it dang sure isn't as bad as smoking both, Cannabis and cigs.

I really hate what Cigarettes have taken away from me for the last 37 years.

Any opinions?

2 hours ago, Octain said:

I always said I would stop cigs before I would stop Cannabis. But it seems they kind of go hand in hand more than I realized.

I had to change my relationship with alcohol when I quit.  During the first three-months of my quit, I stopped drinking whiskey all together and severely decreased my consumption of beer.  Smoking and drinking went hand-in-hand for me.  I also realized early on in my quit that if I was going to make the decision to throw away my quit and smoke again, it would be after downing a few drinks.  It simply wasn't worth the risk.

Prioritize your quit.  If marijuana or anything else is putting your quit at risk, put what's best for your quit above all else.

• Like 3

Sounds like you might be skating on thin ice, given your admitted association of smoking cigs and pot in past years. If your quit is top priority, which it should be, then tread carefully. That's my opinion but, opinions are like a**holes, everyone's got one :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Boo said:

I had to change my relationship with alcohol when I quit.  During the first three-months of my quit, I stopped drinking whiskey all together and severely decreased my consumption of beer.  Smoking and drinking went hand-in-hand for me.  I also realized early on in my quit that if I was going to make the decision to throw away my quit and smoke again, it would be after downing a few drinks.  It simply wasn't worth the risk.

Prioritize your quit.  If marijuana or anything else is putting your quit at risk, put what's best for your quit above all else.

I can definitely see where alcohol could play a huge role in relapse. I don't drink much but when I do I smoked excessively. I simply have no inhibitions at all when drinking.

The difference in Alcohol and Cannabis is a subject for another thread, lol..

I actually have a lot going against me, but none of it is a reason to smoke.. Odds are though, everyone feels the same way..

9 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Sounds like you might be skating on thin ice, given your admitted association of smoking cigs and pot in past years. If your quit is top priority, which it should be, then tread carefully. That's my opinion but, opinions are like a**holes, everyone's got one :)

I  have to keep my ass out of the garage all together. I notice that early on. Which is tough, its where I spent most of my time.

We didn't smoke in the house so that's a help. I also never smoked while walking the dog, so I do that more often.

I have enough triggers in my daily routine that cant be avoided so smoking Cannabis, the actual plant, in the garage is a big nono,  One of my avoidable triggers.

Yeah, I said "we". My wife smokes.. But that's ok, her choice and I'm not going to let it stop me.

• Like 2

Just now, Doreensfree said:

The longer my quit went...the more I wanted to take care of my little bod !!!!.....it had been abused enough...

The odd glass of wine...is OK...when Boo is buying ....

Someone else's money is always good, hehe

• Haha 1