Should I quit today?

IndigoChilde

I was wondering if I should quit today or wait until my quit date. It's only a few days away anyway though the buproproin hasn't had a full 7 days to take effect. But the support I see on here and another quit board are so wonderful, it's inspiring me to try quitting anyway.

• Like 1

That choice is yours... Quitting is a very mental thing. Do whatever YOU believe is the best approach so that your chances of success are greater.

Me personally, I started out on Chantix......for 1 day.... Then thought to myself,"why drag it out.....quit today" ..that was 2+ years ago....I quit cold turkey and haven't looked back. By cutting back or putting off the quit date, I figured I would be in a constant state of withdrawal, so I opted to bite the bullet and get it over with......how-ever, that was what I thought was best for me...others here have had success with the cutting back, setting the quit date method to. No way is right or wrong...staying quit is the goal....

All I can advise is to do what you think will give you the best chance to succeed. You will hear many times, that all quits are different, and they are....but I believe the common link, here, is the support. Whatever you chose, there will be support for you here to help you through the rough patches.

BTW... I missed your into, and would like to officially welcome you to the QT!..glad to have someone new riding the rails with us! :p

Everyone is different but if you think setting a date and sticking to it is best for you. Then go for it. One suggestion though, when you put out your last cigarette on the Monday night. Notice the time, and quit from then, that way you will already be a few hours into your quit while you have been sleeping. It seems to help mentally with some people, definitely if you find it hard in the mornings, to say, no you have been quit for say 8/9 hours already. I'm not spoiling it.

1. Indigo 3 other tips. Throw away everything you have associated with your smoking. Ashtrays, lighters etc. You want need them anymore because you will be a non smoker. 

2. Wake up the day of your quit and rip that bandaid off and be done with it. 

3. Stay stuck to the boards on whatever or all sites you are looking at. Look at non-smoking cats and dogs till your blue in the face if you have to, and post how your doing.

These are the three simple tips I followed and I quit cold turkey 2 years ago. Making my mind up to quit for good was the key.

• Like 2

Something that helped me was getting excited about my quit...focusing on all the positive changes that were coming.  If you can get excited, and start looking forward to being smoke free, it will make it easier!

• Like 1

I can't throw away everything because my mom still smokes. But in smoking cessation class we will be having a 'funeral' for our smoking stuff. I picked out a lighter, a portable ashtray, and one cigarette to bury. We're also supposed to have a eulogy to help grieve the loss of smoking and to say goodbye forever.

A funeral for smokes?  Hmm.  Makes sense.  Quitting put me through the stages of grief - ALL OF THEM.  On multiple occasions. 

I think one of the biggest issues is TIME.  I had much more available when I stopped smoking.  Much more.  Today I'm not sure how I got anything done while I smoked 1.75 hours out of every day!  (15 ciggs - 7 mins a cigg - 1 hr, 45 minutes of just smoking).  Crazy.

It's nice to have the free time now.  But when I first quit I felt like there was just too much time.  Perceptions shift.  What seems like a crappy consequence today will fell like a blessing tomorrow.

Rock on.

• Like 2

I can't throw away everything because my mom still smokes. But in smoking cessation class we will be having a 'funeral' for our smoking stuff. I picked out a lighter, a portable ashtray, and one cigarette to bury. We're also supposed to have a eulogy to help grieve the loss of smoking and to say goodbye forever.

Loss of smoking?

What are you grieving? The fact that you will no longer be wilfully killing yourself? Impoverishing yourself? Making yourself stink? Enslaving yourself to large body corporates whose senior management and shareholders are driving performance cars paid for by the addiction that they entrapped you with?

Cry me a river.

Don't grieve Indigo. Rejoice.

• Like 6

Loss of smoking?

What are you grieving? The fact that you will no longer be wilfully killing yourself? Impoverishing yourself? Making yourself stink? Enslaving yourself to large body corporates whose senior management and shareholders are driving performance cars paid for by the addiction that they entrapped you with?

Cry me a river.

Don't grieve Indigo. Rejoice.

We're supposed to be grieving the aspects that kept us smoking in the first place. The constant companionship, being there when you need it, etc. And a funeral is supposed to bring closure and help us say goodbye to that aspect of smoking.

Hi. I am not sure if you have read this but I want to recommend "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr.  I read this book during my first week as a quitter as I heard about it on one of the support boards.  It is a quick read and it helped a lot. 

• Like 1

I didn't read the whole thread... cause I am "that guy"  but if the question still exists... Should you quit today.. .the answer is you should have never started.

So quit as soon as you can.

Every cig you smoke increases your chance of getting some sh*tty disease that will ruin your life.

We're supposed to be grieving the aspects that kept us smoking in the first place. The constant companionship, being there when you need it, etc. And a funeral is supposed to bring closure and help us say goodbye to that aspect of smoking.

If you are reading the book, then you already know what the above is...

You can absolutely, 100% do this, Indigo. 

Yup, I've watched the videos. So far I'm doing alright. I keep getting that feeling of "I want a cigarette" But keep telling myself "you're a non-smoker now. Quit like you mean it." And that's been helping. So far I've been awake for 3.5 hours and haven't taken a puff.