February 17, 201511 yr ... Because I have a cold, worst one in ages. Feel faint, fireworks in my head, sore sinuses.... ... BUT the good news is the desire to smoke is a ga-zillion jillion miles away. It's the last thing I want to do, the very thought of it is so horrible and unappealing right now. Thought that was worth a post, because the point is: When I smoked I was not one of those people that stopped smoking if I felt ill, hungover etc. I was a fighter, I told myself. However bad I would feel, I'd still have the strength to get my fix. I thought that's what I wanted (actually, at the time it was) but honestly, why would anyone in their right mind want to stand outside in the freezing cold for 10 minutes when you're feeling awful? Isn't it crazy how smoking changes the way we think. And isn't it amazing when we realise we're free-thinking now. The end.
February 17, 201511 yr oh thank goodness!! I was worried for a megasecond there ;) well done rob...and you are so right! Proud of you!! Feel better! Chicken soup, vitamin C, lots of fluids and rest. Isn't it wonderful being smoke free??
February 17, 201511 yr Aww sorry your feeling crap rob..... Babs has given great advice,to help with symptoms.,and get you on the road to feeling better... Your so right...no matter how sick I felt....I stood out in all weathers to get my little fix ... So glad we don't have to do that anymore....and feel better sooner....
February 17, 201511 yr Author Aww thank you. Not a sympathy post, I promise. But yes, it does feel marvellous to be free from smoking!!
February 17, 201511 yr Hope you feel better very soon, and congratulations on your beautiful quit! Well done, Rob!
February 17, 201511 yr Sorry to hear you're sick Rob! Hope you feel better. The good news is, you have the right mindset and an excellent attitude! I was also one of those smokers who used to smoke regardless of how crappy I felt. Even when I had a migraine, I would force myself to get out of bed and have a cigarette. The addiction had such a hold on us when we were smokers. Quitting shows us how silly we were -- I couldn't even imagine lighting up now while sick. That sounds like a terrible idea to me!
February 18, 201511 yr Omg, I remember having these terrible chest colds and I would keep on smoking and cough and cough. The smoking made my coughing sound so much worse, like a death rattle. But I needed the nicotine fix even though I couldn't bresthe.......cross my fingers but since I quit smoking I have not had the typical bronchitis I used get once or twice a year. Rob, you are doing great! Good for you
February 18, 201511 yr Love it how you can see being sick as something positive! :) Good for you, and feel better soon.
February 18, 201511 yr Get well soon- love that you are positve in your quit even when you are feeling poorly - you are rocking this ! :-)
February 18, 201511 yr Did you notice how annoyed youwere to have a cough? It always made me chuckle, as smokers the cough was often and constant...once you quit, first cough cold thing and the cough really drives you mad :) We have that cough cold here, nasty one. Thing is you are so right. While the rest of us are a bit whiny and drugged up (tixylix and sudafed lol) the mother's has converted to a COPD flare up...difference between smoke free and smoker of only 5 a day now..... glaringly obvious! You are doing so great!! Berocca is pricey but great as a morning tonic alongside whatever you are taking. Don't forget paracetamol if you get a temp, you can take that with most cold meds. Also a cheats chicken noodle soup is two knorr chicken stock cubes in a 1/2 saucepan of water. Precook a chicken breast or piece. Sharwoods medium or fine egg noodles and add your cubed pre cooked bit of chicken and bobs ya uncle! feel better soon. x
February 19, 201511 yr The title of this thread worried me. I'm sorry that you are sick! But ohhh so happy that your quit is strong!! :) feel better soon Rob!
February 19, 201511 yr NO Bueno at all - you will most likely get better sooner since you are no longer a smoker - funny how that happens
February 19, 201511 yr The upside is with a cough you're going to get the lungs pumping a little extra rubbish out so if all goes well once it's over you'll feel even better. One month in is excellent, if you're not already doing so, exercise, and do something regularly. That way you can measure the difference. Even if it's something like fast walking down a round (although you will look slightly camp doing that). But do something that pushes you a bit, get the heart rate up. You'll notice your recovery times improving. You'll also notice this with recovery from a cold. But you need your lungs working, so work them.
February 23, 201511 yr Hope you are starting to feel better Rob. Nasty viruses out there this year. At least you are not smoking orcstanding out in the cold to get a fix. Get better soon!
February 23, 201511 yr Awww Rob sorry to hear your not feeling well, take care and keep warm, I remember being ill and still smoking and feeling a million times worse after thinking WTF why did I just do that, or not being able to smoke because I was so unwell for a few days desperate to get better so I could smoke!!! beggars belief, anyhooo healing hugs coming your way xx
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.